Thread: Mirror Placement

1. Default Mirror Placement

We share a space with aerobic classes, so our bikes are in the back of the room with a mirrored wall in the front of the room. Participants pull bikes out for class so that they are facing the mirrors. This has always been the way…until recently.

A new instructor joined us and is asking her riders to pull bikes out and around so that the mirror is on their left side when they are facing the instructor.

To each his own, I say, but now it is becoming a problem with riders asking me and other instructors about why she is turning the bikes
    'sideways' and recently, three riders came to another instructors class and turned them sideways while the rest of the riders remained facing the mirror (because that is the way this instructor has always run her class).

Do you believe there is an advantage either way when it comes to mirror placement?

Her take: If you are looking at yourself from the side, you can see if your form is correct.
    My take: The only person that can see in the mirror are the two or three people on the end, the others have their views obstructed from the rider next to them. Also, if you are turning to the left to constantly look at your form, you are compromising your form, yes?

Here are some other disadvantages I am seeing:

*It is enough wear and tear on the bikes to pull them up a few feet for each class, so pulling them to the other side of the room is even more wear and tear.

*When sideways, they are facing the entry doors. So if someone walks in late, an entire room full of riders is watching.

I'm not against it really, I just wanted more ammunition other than "Because it's my class and I said so!" when they ask me why I have my bikes facing the mirrors.

I also feel that you can really see your form better from the front view-are your shoulders down? Knees not bowing out the sides? Are you swaying too much side to side? All things that you wouldn't be able to see from the side while riding.

Maybe we should just take the mirrors off the wall and solve this problem….

Much longer post than I intended it to be, so thanks in advance for reading and for your comments. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

2. Default

We don't have mirrors, so no help here, but it seems like the instructor could correct form where it is needed, so mirror in front or to the side shouldn't really matter THAT much.

However, if your clients are asking for the bikes to be in the same configuration, and it's causing discord with other instructors, I would just approach it from that perspective. I'd say something along the lines of, "the bottom line is that the majority of our clients prefer the set up that all of our other instructors have been using. While you may prefer the mirrors to the side, I think it's important that we are all consistent and serve our customers as a united team of instructors."
    Tracy
    Michigan
    STAR3 Certified Spinning Instructor

3. Default

Thanks for your reply Tracy! I completely agree about being consistent. I like how you worded it as well. I think I may need to approach it this way if these problems persist. Thanks again!

Just another opinion to consider: At the club where I started taking Spinning classes before I became an instructor, the classes were held on the basketball court, so we had to move the bikes out from the wall at the start of each class. Usually we set them up in a semicircle, but sometimes the instructor would request a different arrangement. It was so long ago I can't remember too much about it, but one setup was in pairs and we would do drills where the left person in each pair would sprint while the right one recovered, then vice versa.

At the first place I taught cycling, there was only one studio for cycling and other classes, so again we would pull the bikes away from the wall and into a semicircle. One instructor, though, set up her bike in a corner with the participants' bikes radiating out from her. When I subbed for her, I used the same arrangement. Nobody complained, in fact they liked the change of pace.

Note that at both these places, the bikes had to be moved at the start of each class, for about the same average distance regardless of the arrangement. The places where I teach now have dedicated rooms for cycling, so the bikes are set up the same way, and we discourage members from rearranging them, to minimize wear and tear on the bikes and the floor.

As far as turning your head to look at yourself from the side, that's only something you have to do for a few seconds occasionally. The instructor can offer cues for good posture. I do this all the time as some riders tend to look down at the handlebars.

There is something to be said for consistency, and of course if you are running the cycling program you are entitled to enforce a particular arrangement of the bikes, but I just wanted to share my experience.

5. Default

You've got good ammo for keeping the bikes facing forward. One thing that I tell my riders, which requires frontal view, is that they should be able to see their throat in the mirror while they ride. Can't check for that neck extension/open airway with side mirrors.

I think a real issue is when you have a class facing the mirrors and one or two decides to face to to the side. What's that about?