Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with rider

1. Default Help with rider

I have a rider who shows up in one of my classes about once a month. The woman rides mostly sitting upright, hands at her side, in a high cadence with little resistance. Our gym recently got new bikes and during my last class she asked for some help figuring out her settings.
    In talking she stated that she rides upright due to back issues. She also complained of some knee pain. After tweaking her settings, she said she was good to go. Midway during the ride, I teach off the bike for a bit. I check in on my rider. She is in gear 4 (Keiser m3), doing 105 RPM! I start a chat with her by asking if her set up is working. She says yes. I suggest that she might want to slow her pace or add a little resistance. “This is what I do” is her response. I offer that this is not safe and potentially might be why her knee bothers her. “This is what I do.” I say OK and get back on my bike.
    Any suggestions on how to deal with this rider? It makes me very uncomfortable watching her.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Stone View Post
    I have a rider who shows up in one of my classes about once a month. The woman rides mostly sitting upright, hands at her side, in a high cadence with little resistance. Our gym recently got new bikes and during my last class she asked for some help figuring out her settings.
    In talking she stated that she rides upright due to back issues. She also complained of some knee pain. After tweaking her settings, she said she was good to go. Midway during the ride, I teach off the bike for a bit. I check in on my rider. She is in gear 4 (Keiser m3), doing 105 RPM! I start a chat with her by asking if her set up is working. She says yes. I suggest that she might want to slow her pace or add a little resistance. “This is what I do” is her response. I offer that this is not safe and potentially might be why her knee bothers her. “This is what I do.” I say OK and get back on my bike.
    Any suggestions on how to deal with this rider? It makes me very uncomfortable watching her.
    Suggestions coming up that probably comport a bit more with how do you deal with you when it comes to dealing with this rider.

Full disclosure here, I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams why folk do STOOPID STUFF......including, but certainly not limited to, what you're describing with this chick. My first approach always is that maybe I'm not being clear enough......so I try to do it a bit more and a bit "better".

Now, I've taught on the Keisers and there's all sort of feedback that usually nips this in the bud. Feedback from the power console and the reality that, even at fairly low resistance, you have to work a bit harder to maintain a high cadence than on a trad. SPINNER bike......so, when push comes to shove, you may not need to worry too much as this sort of nitwittery tends to be self limiting. Except when it doesn't, of course...

All other sorts of tips I could give you but you really don't have too much control when folk are bound and determined to do what they want.......which is why they're in their shape with their issues and not like you, right???. FWIW, I've actually pointed this reality out more than once because......

I cannot in my wildest dreams imagine.... etc. etc....

So I try to use every tool in my teaching armamentarium until I'm satisfied tht I've gotten my point across to the best of my ability, they eventually *get it* or leave my class and complain to management about me (seems to happen in equal measures)

That's the beauty of working with the *general public*......it's a learning experience all the time
    Last edited by Vivienne; 03-16-2015 at 07:26 AM.

Not being a self-promoter......but I posted a whole slew of issues and questions I had when I first started teaching on Keisers on the *Keiser* board.

So, here's but one example from the past coupla weeks...

My Wednesday 9 am classes are termed *Team Honey Badger* rides......Google it.....we're Legends In Our Own Minds and we really don't give a $h1t. REALLY.... I like to promote a feeling of camaraderie without the cliquishness that I experienced when I first took classes, lo......13 years ago (a point to remember!!)

During the course of inflicting the photos of my daughter's wedding on the folk who were daft enough to ask before class, someone I didn't recognise walked in with plenty of time to interact. A *Y* chromosome type (Team Honey Badger know wotz I meanz) complete with baggy tee-shirt, shorts and sneakers. Grabs a bike in the front and starts his set-up so I introduce myself and ask if he's new to SPIN or just new to moi.......and did he need help with set-up. No, yes and....no. I like it when I have gen-U-ine newbies or almost new like this dude because it gives me an extra excuse to re-iterate all the safety/technique points that the Ole Lags thing they don't need to hear...

Long story longer.....dude proceeded to weed whack from the first femto second of class.....for a bit .....and then he sat up and started to flail his arms around in a *Soul Cycle Without The Weights* sorta way (can't describe it any better......you'd need to see to believe).....and for all the World acted in a disdainful sorta way what with it being a class full of women with an Ole Biddy like myself teaching it. No problem in a general sense, people make mistakes based on prior experience......but once I started to notice that he was ticking off Team Honey Badger, I brung out a few more tools....

as in....

.....if you're doing THIS (demo his tomfoolery) U R DOIN' IT RONG.

....if'n you're in a class with girls.....U HAVS TO RIDE LIKE A GRRRRL.

Hasn't escalated beyond this yet......but I have more up my sleeve.

Maybe not your style....but that's how I roll..

This probably isn't what you want to hear - but I basically leave that type alone. I have one fairly beefy man in my class who rides the "hills" hinged forward with his hands behind his back. I've asked him more than once to please stop doing that stressing the safety factor, etc etc but get the same answer as your woman "this is how I ride", or even worse - he said at the other place he rides, the instructor tells them to do that. As my grandfather used to say "zei gezundt" (good health said with a strong dose of Yiddish irony). There's nothing you can do to change their minds if that's what they do. You can only tell them so many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
    So, here's but one example from the past coupla weeks...

My Wednesday 9 am classes are termed *Team Honey Badger* rides......Google it.....we're Legends In Our Own Minds and we really don't give a $h1t. REALLY.... I like to promote a feeling of camaraderie without the cliquishness that I experienced when I first took classes, lo......13 years ago (a point to remember!!)

During the course of inflicting the photos of my daughter's wedding on the folk who were daft enough to ask before class, someone I didn't recognise walked in with plenty of time to interact. A *Y* chromosome type (Team Honey Badger know wotz I meanz) complete with baggy tee-shirt, shorts and sneakers. Grabs a bike in the front and starts his set-up so I introduce myself and ask if he's new to SPIN or just new to moi.......and did he need help with set-up. No, yes and....no. I like it when I have gen-U-ine newbies or almost new like this dude because it gives me an extra excuse to re-iterate all the safety/technique points that the Ole Lags thing they don't need to hear...

Long story longer.....dude proceeded to weed whack from the first femto second of class.....for a bit .....and then he sat up and started to flail his arms around in a *Soul Cycle Without The Weights* sorta way (can't describe it any better......you'd need to see to believe).....and for all the World acted in a disdainful sorta way what with it being a class full of women with an Ole Biddy like myself teaching it. No problem in a general sense, people make mistakes based on prior experience......but once I started to notice that he was ticking off Team Honey Badger, I brung out a few more tools....

as in....

.....if you're doing THIS (demo his tomfoolery) U R DOIN' IT RONG.

....if'n you're in a class with girls.....U HAVS TO RIDE LIKE A GRRRRL.

Hasn't escalated beyond this yet......but I have more up my sleeve.

Maybe not your style....but that's how I roll..
    You say you want to make your class not cliquish yet that entire post and how you treated the "dude" because of your clique was the opposite of what you were saying.

Quote Originally Posted by TheU View Post
    You say you want to make your class not cliquish yet that entire post and how you treated the "dude" because of your clique was the opposite of what you were saying.
    In the spirit of utilizing the errors of newbies and novices as a reminder on what you can bring to the table in class, here is an inadvertent but still an excellent analogy for the cycle studio....

When you're pointing out faulty technique with whatever technique is your chosen style, be aware of the potential for poor comprehension or inference drawing skills.

The newbie with the bad knee in your class may actually be "understanding" something different from the message you're trying to convey simply from lack of familiarity with your "style" of communication.

..... She is in gear 4 (Keiser m3), doing 105 RPM! I start a chat with her by asking if her set up is working. She says yes. I suggest that she might want to slow her pace or add a little resistance. “This is what I do” is her response. I offer that this is not safe and potentially might be why her knee bothers her......
    Giving this scenario a little more thought (from trying to remember back when I taught on the Keisers) what she's doing may very well not be quite as injurious as you think. Such an rpm with light resistance on a trad SPIN bike would be a problem......especially if the rider insists on sitting upright and weedwhacking. You'll be getting repetitive stress on the knee for sure plus there's the real danger of losing contact with the pedal and that flywheel'll drag the pedal around to the back of your calf before you can grab the handlebars/or operate the safety brake. If you get a second, try it on the Keiser. There's less of a feeling of being pulled by a perpetual motion machine even at light resistances and bit less "danger". All that's happening most likely is that she's getting a sub-optimal workout. Frustrating but not too much of a liability for you or the gym.

If anything, I remember having something of the opposite problem. A couple of members who'd load up on "gears" and grind at around 60 rpm or below and who then needed to back it way off after a minute or so (physiology being a science for a reason).......even if we were doing extended, variable intensity intervals "on the flat", BTW. One even commented to me that she didn't seem to be making progress even though she came to every class.......the obvious observation to make was that she needed to follow the cues a little more and use the feedback from the bike as a self check. Still didn't make much of a difference.......so manifestly some folk are just bound and determined to do their own thing. I know....it makes no sense but there you go.

I think it was Joey Adams who always said that some folk have to hear the same thing at least 99 times before they get it on the 100th......problem with that being that everyone else in the room tends to get ticked off at about the 10th reminder.

Anyway, give it a shot yourself in private.....the feel of 100+rpm and light resistance is waaaay different on a Keiser. It's almost work-like if you're going to maintain it for any length of time

9. Default

…She is in gear 4 (Keiser m3), doing 105 RPM! I start a chat with her by asking if her set up is working. She says yes. I suggest that she might want to slow her pace or add a little resistance. “This is what I do” is her response. I offer that this is not safe and potentially might be why her knee bothers her. “This is what I do.” I say OK and get back on my bike…
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
    Giving this scenario a little more thought (from trying to remember back when I taught on the Keisers) what she's doing may very well not be quite as injurious as you think…
    How is her form/technique?

If she has control, then I would not worry a lot. It may be disruptive for the rest of the class, especially if someone with the ability to spin attempts to match her cadence. It would be nice if she were at the back of the class so that others don't see and try to duplicate.

If she is out of control - bouncing on the saddle - then she does not have the ability/skill to spin at that cadence and really needs to slow down.

But then people will do some pretty strange stuff…despite any type of reason…

I had a participant show up at one facility who was spinning very fast on a Keiser during a set. No bouncing though, great form. I did walk the room and noticed his cadence. 145 rpm. I spoke with him later and asked that he slow down because I did not want others trying to copy his excellent technique. He did tone down his cadence on subsequent classes.
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

FWIW, I don't think it's worth the battle. If she thinks that she's getting a workout, then she is meeting her needs. We all know that she's not going to improve because she chooses not to take advice. Focus on the other people in the class who like being coached to improve. I've had people like that in my class and after initially interacting with them, I left them alone. As Vivienne say's they'll either get with the program or leave - I'd rather they leave so someone else can benefit of the bike. Mine left and like Vivienne told management that I was 'too hard'. Nuff sed!
    Cycle Happy!
    EuroD
    Cycle Instructor Emeritus
    Star 3 Spinning Instructor
    Schwinn Certified Cycle Instructor
    AFAA Primary Certification
    Spotify

11. Default

Thanks for all the input. I will let her continue to do what she does and focus on the other riders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast