Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newly Certified/Looking to Learn

1. Default Newly Certified/Looking to Learn

Hi everyone,

My name's Breanne. I just recently received my certification to teach indoor cycling and have been shadowing an instructor that I ride frequently with (indoors and out). I'm here to learn as much as I can from others who have tried different coaching techniques. I teach two classes on my own this upcoming week, and I want to be as prepared as possible for my riders. I'd love to say I'm not nervous, but I definitely am. I'm taking heart in the fact that I felt about 95% better in the second class I assisted with than the first. Hopefully that trend continues!

Thanks for all your insights and valuable posts.

2. Default

Hi Breanne,
    Plan out each class you teach-music, profile and cues. Having taught indoor cycle for 18 years, I find this approach helps me teach my best. With the music and profile set, I can concentrate on coaching the ride. Keep each profile you develop and soon you'll have a library for future use. Print these out on 8 1/2 x 11 paper and insert in plastic covering. Bring to class and set on your handle bars. Make sure the print is large enough to read while teaching. I use these headings:

Title: criterion, pyramid climb, power interval etc.

Stage, time, technique(seated flat, standing climb, etc) rpm, rpe, visualization(cues)

Read bicycling mag-they have good coaching tips that are applicable to class cues.
    Al

Breanne,
    Let us know how things are going. I'm new here too. What is working for you? Co9 has some good tips. I have been printing out my itunes playlist, then marking it up with a profile. It helps me to watch the timing displayed on the ipod for ride changes. However, the ipod dock in our room is on a little table next to the leader bike. I have to continually look to the side. I wish there were some way to move the dock to my handlebars.

How are your classes going?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by marc5 View Post
    Breanne,
    Let us know how things are going. I'm new here too. What is working for you? Co9 has some good tips. I have been printing out my itunes playlist, then marking it up with a profile. It helps me to watch the timing displayed on the ipod for ride changes. However, the ipod dock in our room is on a little table next to the leader bike. I have to continually look to the side. I wish there were some way to move the dock to my handlebars.
    I use an iPod Touch (has bluetooth). I plug a bluetooth receiver into the stereo and is paired with my iPod. The iPod is clipped into a bike mount that I mount on the handle bars of the bike I teach from. Everything is then played/managed (including volume) from my iPod. When I get off the bike to 'walk' the room, I am able to slip the iPod off the mount and take the iPod with me.

I use MyFitnessDJ Pro on the iPod. Time remaining in a piece/song and all my cues are displayed on the iPod, right in front of my on the bike.
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

Thanks, cycleguy....great idea! I need to upgrade my gear.
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by CycleGuy View Post
    I use an iPod Touch (has bluetooth). I plug a bluetooth receiver into the stereo and is paired with my iPod. The iPod is clipped into a bike mount that I mount on the handle bars of the bike I teach from. Everything is then played/managed (including volume) from my iPod. When I get off the bike to 'walk' the room, I am able to slip the iPod off the mount and take the iPod with me.

I use MyFitnessDJ Pro on the iPod. Time remaining in a piece/song and all my cues are displayed on the iPod, right in front of my on the bike.
    Post a picture if you can of your bike mount on the bike. Im looking at a couple but I want to see which one works with the keiser bikes and how it would look and feel.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TheU View Post
    Post a picture if you can of your bike mount on the bike. Im looking at a couple but I want to see which one works with the keiser bikes and how it would look and feel.
    I am not teaching again until Tuesday. If I remember, I will get a couple of pictures.

I have my iPod Touch in a LifeProof case (shock and water proof - both very important for teaching) and use the LifeProof bike mount. We have the original Keiser bike and I mount it on the faux-aerobar so that the iPod sits to the side and up a bit from the computer.
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by CycleGuy View Post
    I am not teaching again until Tuesday. If I remember, I will get a couple of pictures.

I have my iPod Touch in a LifeProof case (shock and water proof - both very important for teaching) and use the LifeProof bike mount. We have the original Keiser bike and I mount it on the faux-aerobar so that the iPod sits to the side and up a bit from the computer.
    I have an android device so Im looking for something universal. Still want to see how you mount it but I think I get it from your post!

Thanks

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TheU View Post
    Here are some photos.
    Close-up of mount (small).jpgSide of bike (small).jpgFacing bike (small).jpgFacing at angle (small).jpegInsructor View (small).jpg

Follow me on Twitter

Thanks, looks perfect!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast