Thread: Odometer

Default Odometer

I'm still learning about the Keiser M3 Computer. Can you tell me if the Trip is measured in miles? Should I focus more on Watts rather than the odometer? Thanks!
    Spinning Day
    "Life is Good, Ride on"

The "odometer" on the Keiser M3 registers not miles or km but simply the number of pedal revolutions divided by 200. There's more about this in the thread "Keiser Bike Distance" in this forum section. You might try this experiment: ride in gear 1 at around 80 rpm, count 200 revolutions and watch the "odometer" go up by 1.0. You'll feel you haven't done any work at all, and the watts reading will reflect that. Then do the same up in maybe gear 14. You will feel you have worked a lot harder, but the "odometer" will still go up only 1.0. The watts will be up a lot more.

Thank you! That helps!
    Spinning Day
    "Life is Good, Ride on"

New instructor here using Keisers. Students ask me about the odometer. I tell them that miles on an indoor bike is a meaningless number. Focus should be on the other parameters: RPM, Watts, HR....along with perceived exertion level.

5. Default

New instructor here using Keisers. Students ask me about the odometer. I tell them that miles on an indoor bike is a meaningless number. Focus should be on the other parameters: RPM, Watts, HR....along with perceived exertion level.
    But it is not 'miles'. It is not any distance that is indicative of any type of effort.
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

what are your watt and rpm averages for your classes?

The new M3i apparently does have Miles and Km distance options. This is shown as USA and Euro on the display after adjusting it as needed. It defaults to miles.

Btw .. according to my calculations, it is 789.85 revolutions of the flywheel per km and 1271.14 revolutions per mile on the M3i. Though it may not be 100% accurate it was as good as I could do with a tape measure.
    Last edited by edmscan; 01-30-2016 at 10:19 AM.

8. Default

So the "odometer" rate of increase doesn't change based on the resistance?

Quote Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
    The new M3i apparently does have Miles and Km distance options. This is shown as USA and Euro on the display after adjusting it as needed. It defaults to miles.

Btw .. according to my calculations, it is 789.85 revolutions of the flywheel per km and 1271.14 revolutions per mile on the M3i. Though it may not be 100% accurate it was as good as I could do with a tape measure.
    Notwithstanding, 1 equals 200 revolutions of the flywheel

Quote Originally Posted by shaggybuck View Post
    So the "odometer" rate of increase doesn't change based on the resistance?
    1=200 revolutions of the flywheel. It changes dependant on how many times the rider makes 200 pedal strokes. A rider who's able to turn the pedals 200 times at, say, a gear of 20+ would certainly "travel further" than a rider who turned the pedals 200 times at the same cadence in a gear of, say, 2 ........just like a real rider in the big chain ring (Chris Froome)vs. someone in his granny gears or whose chain's come off (me) The odometer would read the same because.......1=200 pedal strokes.