Thread: Keiser Bike distance

Default Keiser Bike distance

I am Schwinn Cert. and used their bikes with measurements during the convention (obviously). With Schwinn bikes a higher resistance and higher RPM with get you more MPH. I even checked with the master trainer to verify that. How difference are the Keiser bikes? Is it just the RPM's that will gain the distance? Gear and watts have no effect? Lower resistance with a higher RPM? Someone told me that your distance is only determined by how many times the pedals go around. Obviously I am going to test this theory.

Your *odometer* on a Keiser has nothing to do with real distance. It's for maintenance purposes only and, IIRC, 1 *mile*=200 pedal strokes

3. Default

As Vivienne points out, it is strictly a number for maintenance. 200 revolutions of the flywheel = '1' on the distance display. '1' is somewhere between a kilometre and a mile. Someone with more math skills worked it out: circumference of the flywheel x 200.

End result: someone pedalling like a hamster on crack with zero resistance will go 'further' than some working with resistance at a reasonable cadence. Mind you, the hamster on crack might fall over and die while the other rider continues, giving them time to equal the distance…
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Laryn41 View Post
    I am Schwinn Cert. and used their bikes with measurements during the convention (obviously). With Schwinn bikes a higher resistance and higher RPM with get you more MPH. I even checked with the master trainer to verify that. How difference are the Keiser bikes? Is it just the RPM's that will gain the distance? Gear and watts have no effect? Lower resistance with a higher RPM? Someone told me that your distance is only determined by how many times the pedals go around. Obviously I am going to test this theory.
    As Vivienne and Cycleguy mentioned, the number shown in a Keiser bike is for the maintenace only. Whether you are using Schwinn or any other bikes, the basic idea is that a higher resistance and higher RPM will get you further..... even riding a bike outside.
    I should make it clear..... within the given time. If everybody has 2 hours to ride, a higher resitance and a higher RPM will get your further.
    Last edited by yumipon; 01-30-2015 at 08:21 PM. Reason: time frame needed to be mentioned