Thread: Jumps

Default Jumps

What is the proper way to do a jump? Resistance? Time? I feel it is at a higher resistance so you do not hurt your knees

Quote Originally Posted by Laryn41 View Post
    What is the proper way to do a jump? Resistance? Time? I feel it is at a higher resistance so you do not hurt your knees
    You're Schwinn certified, correct? I've only taken Schwinn workshops and not a cert. course (but plenty of them with the well known names) and never done a jump. I think jumps are generally viewed by non-SPIN IDC programmes as a bit of foolish nitwittery. Which isn't a bad description considered how "well" they're usually performed/taught.

You're should basically be doing a controlled transition from seated to standing at about the same resistance and cadence throughout the move. I think it's something better demonstrated than described......I didn't manage to nail jumps until I did a workshop with Doug Katona. I think it was called Anatomy of a jump and it broke down the "choreography" very specifically with drills to get proper technique seated and standing separately before transitioning between the two.......that's both jumps on the flat (which I never do outside of one or two "anatomy of a jump" style class) and on the hill. You actually need a lot of leg strength, control and stamina to be able to perform them well.....and consequently teach them correctly.

Here's a decent article. However, for all the positives it doesn't really take account of the way SPINNING....and most group ex. programmes.....works. At anyone time, every class has a mixture of abilities, training levels, egos etc.......and jumps are/were designated as an advanced move so there's a strong chance that the fundamental technique that's mandatory for executing the move productively and safely just isn't there. Practice doesn't make perfect either.....perfect practice makes perfect. Anything else just reinforces faulty technique. http://www.spinning.com/community/to...-not-to-jumps/

This thread has reminded me that it might be a good time to dust off on of my jump classes in the near future.
    Last edited by Vivienne; 01-17-2015 at 06:35 AM.

I like to teach jumps with moderate resistance and 4 count minimum. Come up out of the saddle using your legs with a tight core. Hands are "soft" on the handlebars.

4. Default

I'm always conflicted about jumps! 8-count, 4-count, 2-count, whatever-count. I know we wouldn't do it outside on the road so seems strange to do it indoors?! But it also seems like an effective calorie burner and muscle strengthener.

5. Default

You shouldn't feel conflicted about jumps - they are used outdoors. They are used when you want to over come another rider, when you perform switchbacks climbing up a winding hill, when you are struggling to get up a hill. The rapid count jumps aren't part of outdoor riding but the longer more controlled jumps are.

I always tell my students that jumps are simulating going over a speed bump or railroad tracks...that usually gets some looks of "Oh yeah...I know what THAT feels like..."

7. Default

Jumps are brilliant for power development and transitional strength.