Thread: Parkinson’s Cycling™ at Edward Health & Fitness Center

Blog Entries

Default Parkinson’s Cycling™ at Edward Health & Fitness Center

We're very excited to announce our first, official Parkinson’s Cycling™ location at the Edward Health & Fitness Center - Seven Bridges in Woodridge, IL.

Edward Health & Fitness Center — Seven Bridges
    6600 S. Route 53
    Woodridge, IL 60517
    (630) 646-7900

You can download their promotional flyer here.

The 10 week program offers 60 minute Indoor Cycling classes on Tuesday and Thursday from 10:00 – 11:00am. The first class is Tuesday Oct 7th and classes run through December 18th.

To Register:
    On-Line: https://search.edward.org/classes
    Via Phone or E-mail with Jenny Ibrahim – Registration Coordinator
    (630)646-7913 jibrahim@edward.org
    For More Information:
    Contact Carol Teteak – Fitness Coordinator
    (630)646-7920 or carol.teteak@edward.org

You can learn more about bringing Parkinson's Cycling to your club or studio by contacting our Master Coach Kathy Helmuth kathy@parkinsonscyclingcoach.com or visit parkinsonscyclingcoach.com

Im very interested in learning more about this and getting certified as a Parkinson's Cycling instructor. What are the major difference between our regular cycling classes compared to the Parkinson's class? Is there a a sample profile/class I can look at? Once certified I could offer a class at any of my gym or studios I instruct at? I see you listed a 10 week program and 2 days a week, is the the recommendation when starting up this program at a gym? What would be the max amount of Parkinson's riders per class? I have to believe not too many as we would want to focus on the riders even more so than a typical class? What do you charge for the classes/10 week program and will insurance pay or is it paid directly by the person with Parkinson's?

I like the idea of this and the help it will give to those struggling with this disease. Im looking forward to learning more!

Blog Entries

Hi TheU - the classes are designed to follow the protocols established by Dr Jay Albert's research and come with your CECs. The training we provide goes a long way toward helping you become comfortable working with a population you might not have experience with. Class sizes can really vary depending on the levels of PD in your participants. A good rule of thumb would be 8-12, which could be expanded with an assistant or as everyone gains seat time.

Just as increasing fitness takes time, the symptomatic relief for people with PD requires a commitment over time. Our experience is you need participants to attend for at least 8-10 weeks. This also has the effect of creating your class as a habit with each participant.

Will the training prepare me to begin offering a class? Short answer is yes. Long answer is you'll need to recruit your participants and get permission from your club's manager or owner.

Please contact coach Kathy kathy@parkinsonscyclingcoach.com for more info.

Here you go.....a nice bit of background to how Dr. Albert started to think about this neuroplasticity and forced exercise.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/751998

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJoTYLrm1Ak

Last edited by Vivienne; 08-23-2015 at 03:36 PM.

Oddly enough, I stumbled across this article in my medscape feed just before Parkinson's Awareness Month (April)....and that Exercise Etc. Brain Training workshop......which is how my interest was piqued.

Blog Entries

I got interested in all of this after interviewing Dr Alberts http://www.indoorcycleinstructor.com...r-jay-alberts/

Thank you both. I will look in to this further. I appreciate the help!