Thread: Discovery of a new 'move'??

Default Discovery of a new 'move'??

Hi All

I've heard of a new 'move' this morning that is being used by 2 instructors. It doesn't sound right to me, but I thought I would check before getting virtuous about it. So, the move is in jumping in and out of the saddle very quickly, one uses no resistance throughout the entire class, the other uses resistance. Apparently you're dripping in sweat, no news on the knee condition though. It seems to be part of the SoulCycle craze, but maybe I'm wrong. I can't imagine riding my bike this way, but maybe its acceptable for indoor cycling? Would love to know what the professionals on here think?

Quote Originally Posted by ljhmail View Post
    Hi All

I've heard of a new 'move' this morning that is being used by 2 instructors. It doesn't sound right to me, but I thought I would check before getting virtuous about it. So, the move is in jumping in and out of the saddle very quickly, one uses no resistance throughout the entire class, the other uses resistance. Apparently you're dripping in sweat, no news on the knee condition though. It seems to be part of the SoulCycle craze, but maybe I'm wrong. I can't imagine riding my bike this way, but maybe its acceptable for indoor cycling? Would love to know what the professionals on here think?
    When it comes to TEH STOOPID, I doubt there's any such thing as a new move...

What it sound to me like is a description of what often gets taught as *jumps* ....I. e, the popcorn jumps (and SoulCycle can't be blamed for every crazy stunt out there) FWIW, I think someone teaches an iteration of this at my gym given that folks who I know were new to classes a month or so back have started to do it if I use the term "jumps" (I very studiously avoid the term if I can just so no-one can infer that I'm cuing the Energiser Bunny on Crack look)

There's very little merit to something like this. Members often think they're getting a "good" workout because of all the huffing and puffing and sweat droplets ...... had one instructor do these sort of stunts at one of my old gigs and his class was seen as "advanced". What I reckon is that, if it's such a slick move capable of generating serious power, I fancy we'd see a few more on the pro peloton doing it. Just ignore what's going on in other folks classes and teach what you know to be sensible.

Vivienne