Thread: Other Certifications

Default Other Certifications

I currently have a Spinning Instructor Certification and enjoy Cycling outside as well. What other certifications would compliment indoor/outdoor cycling?

Mad Dogg Athletics just came out with a SpinPower certification for the new Blade Ion Spinner®. If you ever get the opportunity to teach with power, this cert is a must. Also USA Cycling has a coaching certification, that might be nice, too.
    SpinBob
    Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional
    Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by SpinBob View Post
    Mad Dogg Athletics just came out with a SpinPower certification for the new Blade Ion Spinner®. If you ever get the opportunity to teach with power, this cert is a must. Also USA Cycling has a coaching certification, that might be nice, too.
    +1 .
    sometimes low self-esteem is earned. it's the correct response if you are not trying your best. do something about it. - Michael Koppelman

My Blog for Instructors (no longer updated, but some useful stuff) * Charleston RIDE™ * Spotify

I am familiar with the SpinPower Certification but I have never seen the USA Cycling Coaching Certification. I will do some research on that one. Thank You!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SpinningDay View Post
    I currently have a Spinning Instructor Certification and enjoy Cycling outside as well. What other certifications would compliment indoor/outdoor cycling?
    Cycling Fusion has arguably the most "Outdoor oriented" Indoor Cycling certification available, and it can be done 100% online. The exam to secure the CEUs and certification itself is also one of the most rigorous of any indoor program, but it's open book, you get 24 hrs to complete it and you get two attempts. It gets pretty high reviews by those who have taken it. http://www.cyclingfusion.com/instructors.php
    Gene (Gino) Nacey
    Master Heart Zones Instructor
    Spinning Instructor
    USA Cycling Coach
    Owner, Global Ride Training Center &
    Global Ride Productions (virtual cycling DVDs)
    Founder, Cycling Fusion

Always finish strong!

Follow me on Twitter
    Follow me on FaceBook

Quote Originally Posted by SpinningDay View Post
    Depending on what you see yourself doing with your cert in the future, a primary certification in group exercise and/or personal training might be a good addition to any specialty cert you do. There are some gym chains that require this even for "just" teaching IDC. I wasn't aware of the ins and outs of the gym scene when I first did my Spinning cert and followed it up with AFAA when I got a card in the mail advertising their discounted rate. Turned out that my first real gig wanted a primary cert.

In addition to various of the power certs. (not Spinning yet), I've done BodyPump (great training), TRX and I regularly do workshops offered by this group http://www.exerciseetc.com/conference.html when they come to my neck of the woods. Spinning opened up a whole world of exercise science that I didn't know existed before (else I would've listened up better in my physiology courses) and you don't know what's going to appeal unless you give different things a shot.

Vivienne

Also depending on your level of interest, I can recommend seminars offered by this company https://www.inrseminars.com/inrseminars.aspx I've regularly received brochures in the mail but never bothered with them back when I had my practice because I wanted to invest my CE time and $$bucks in something that pertained more directly like advances in dental materials etc. etc. Now, I use stuff like this to nail both my dental license CEC's and fitness interest.

Although these wouldn't equip anyone to be able to include nutritional advice as part of their "scope of practice", they go a long way to being able to address general questions that class members are prone to ask (well, they ask me....) ..... and also to know where your knowledge base ends. Like the Exercise etc. seminars, they're modestly priced, well presented and just plain interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by liveon2wheels View Post
    Cycling Fusion has arguably the most "Outdoor oriented" Indoor Cycling certification available, and it can be done 100% online. The exam to secure the CEUs and certification itself is also one of the most rigorous of any indoor program, but it's open book, you get 24 hrs to complete it and you get two attempts. It gets pretty high reviews by those who have taken it. http://www.cyclingfusion.com/instructors.php
    I'm new here but I wanted to say thank you for posting this! I try to teach more of an outdoor traditional riding style of class so I'm really interested in checking this out!