Thread: Studio Temperature

Default Studio Temperature

How hot is too hot? Our studio is located in a converted patio which lacks much (if any) insulation in the walls. Outside temps get into the triple digits and the air conditioner has a hard time keeping up. Thus, temps get pretty high in the studio. If we leave the door open, sometimes other gym patrons complain about noise. I was wondering how I could present the temperature issue to the manager as a potential safety concern so we can leave the door open despite the noise. Thoughts?

New Jersey

High temperature has a negative impact on heart rate training. High temperatures and activity also lead to a lot of sweating and the potential to overheat. Ideal sweating requires air movement to allow for condensation of sweat to occur, so that the body is cooling itself.
    Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional

Here is some useful info about overheating in general:

Every summer we hear (at least here in South Carolina and in Oklahoma where I grew up) of older individuals dying because of the heat, so it isn't something to take lightly.
    sometimes low self-esteem is earned. it's the correct response if you are not trying your best. do something about it. - Michael Koppelman

My Blog for Instructors (no longer updated, but some useful stuff) * Charleston RIDE™ * Spotify

I was in a class where the members wanted the temperature to be 55 degrees. The default temperature was set to 67, which was too hot for them. Personally, the heat does affect my heart rate and breathing.