Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suggestion - reduce number of posts required to access "private" info...

Default suggestion - reduce number of posts required to access "private" info...

I understand you want to engage new participants, but 5 is a rather challenging bar to meet. Just my 2 cents. Thanks -

IMHO - 5 is nothing to be honest. There are a plethora of fantastic threads from months and years gone back that could inputted that don't require 5 post minimum.

It would seem people think the holy grail is the hidden threads?
    All hail the Velominati cycling rule #5

Quote Originally Posted by trekgirl View Post
    I understand you want to engage new participants, but 5 is a rather challenging bar to meet. Just my 2 cents. Thanks -
    Feel free to complain about this post to *management* but.....bull$h!t!!!

When I first found this forum years ago, I was so taken with it working my way "from the top" that, by the time I got to the private parts (which required 10 posts back then ....... and I do believe they were required to have some merit but that might be a mistake) I'd found so many useful threads to respond to that I wasn't even aware of a limit.

Here's a secret, if you (generic *you*) genuinely haven't found anything worthwhile to respond to on your meanderings on P-O, it's highly unlikely that the secret stuff is going to thrill you to the extent you think. Don't believe me?? Just check on the number of comments along these lines and see how much participation has taken place after the magic number was reached.

It may seem like a lot, but just do it! This forum is full of ideas, help, and support. I had no clue after my weekend certification, and have learned so much here. The profiles are icing on the cake.
    "If we did all the things we were capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves" Thomas Edison

Well, gee. The "bull$hit" part of your comment doesn't exactly feel welcoming, and detracts markedly from what I would have recognized as a valid comment, Vivienne. Here's where I'm coming from: I'm a parent, PTA president, tutor underprivileged kids, work two part-time jobs and have recently begun teaching IC, so I have fairly limited time to spend online. I did indeed feel like I was just blundering around trying to find something that I could respond to, given that I don't have much background or experience with IC and very much feel that I have more to learn than to impart. I'm perfectly happy to engage, but the topics that I felt would be of most interest to me (and in fact have been, thank you, having met my 5) were still private. I wouldn't even consider taking the time to complain about your post to management as you suggest, but polite and respectful go a long way with me. Best -

Fair enough, trekgirl ..... and apologies.

However, I still don't accept that a 5 post minimum is that onerous a requirement in order to participate in a forum that's totally free to users. One of the things about this site is that there are folk from pretty much every walk of life and it's a mistake to think that everyone has a well developed background in the field. I suspect that a good many folk have gotten whatever background they have from posting random questions ..... other than ones about a 5 post minimum, that is.

When things are quiet around here .... even though there seem to be a heck of a lot of folk online ....I'll oftentimes scroll back through threads and come across something that I missed first time around and either "bump" the thread or need to ask a question. The forum doesn't continue by magic. It requires participation beyond making a minimum number of posts for there to be anything worthwhile to read.

I think, trekgirl, that you might have operated under the assumption that they had to be 5 "quality" posts. We still let Viv comment here, so obviously that isn't true (love you, mean it, Vivienne. ). Stick around, write whatever crosses your mind. And maybe, just maybe, you can be given the title of Chandelier too. :-)
    sometimes low self-esteem is earned. it's the correct response if you are not trying your best. do something about it. - Michael Koppelman

My Blog for Instructors (no longer updated, but some useful stuff) * Charleston RIDE™ * Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by groupfitpower View Post
    I think, trekgirl, that you might have operated under the assumption that they had to be 5 "quality" posts. ......

..... Stick around, write whatever crosses your mind. And maybe, just maybe, you can be given the title of Chandelier too. :-)
    While it's true that any ole claptrap enables a poster to reach the 5 post minimum, in reality, there is (or at least, ought to be) an expectation that folk are going to make something of an effort to contribute. I'm assuming we're all pretty busy in our own ways but if every single one of us did nothing more than ask about a 5 post minimum (or even worse, be nervy enough to complain!) there wouldn't be a darn thing for the 5 post minimum crowd to bother making 5 posts for, would there?

There's no such thing as a free lunch. You can get access to all the boards on this forum for the minimal "price tag" of 5 posts.....or you can get access to other online IDC forums (fora?) by supplying your credit card number and no posting required. I call that *choice*

Look at the plethora of subjects on this site. Don't tell me that anyone with a bit o' gumption and interest can't find 5 places to say something like "Wow, I didn't know that!" or "Could you explain a bit more?".....even if they don't mean it. I could be wrong, but I suspect that the scenario is more along the lines of.....

a) try to access the private parts....

b) find that access is denied.....

c) circumvent the very first *sticky* and ask about a 5 post minimum as a reflex (frequently 5 times within a very short time frame).....

d) post more than 5 times only to ask why the private parts are still inaccessible after 5 posts.

Anytime you put yourself out there, in a free public online forum, you are taking a risk. People can be insensitive, unintentionally offend, or just be downright rude. I am not making excuses for that type of behavior, but don't let it deter you. There is a lot of good "stuff" here.
    "If we did all the things we were capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves" Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by LAWOMAN View Post
    Anytime you put yourself out there, in a free public online forum, you are taking a risk. People can be insensitive, unintentionally offend, or just be downright rude. I am not making excuses for that type of behavior, but don't let it deter you. There is a lot of good "stuff" here.
    Exactly what I keep saying!!

However, scroll back through this thread and see how much of it comes from the folk who complain about the 5 post minimum http://www.pedal-on.com/showthread.p...marked-private

Just for the heck of it....and because I'm waiting on an electrician and can't settle.... I scrolled back and, sho 'nuff, exactly what I mentioned in my last post is there!! Other than a useful few posts re: warm-up from Old Lags, the overwhelming topic is the 5 post minimum in various guises ..... from posters who subsequently ultimately don't even reach a double digit number.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
    Exactly what I keep saying!!

However, scroll back through this thread and see how much of it comes from the folk who complain about the 5 post minimum http://www.pedal-on.com/showthread.p...marked-private

Just for the heck of it....and because I'm waiting on an electrician and can't settle.... I scrolled back and, sho 'nuff, exactly what I mentioned in my last post is there!! Other than a useful few posts re: warm-up from Old Lags, the overwhelming topic is the 5 post minimum in various guises ..... from posters who subsequently ultimately don't even reach a double digit number.

I personally think the requirement for gaining access to the Profiles section should be that you have to share a profile. Want to see the music threads? Share some music. But good luck implementing that. :-) And so the best we can do is ask that new folks demonstrate that they are interested enough in what we talk about over here to share 5 little things. Why so many people choose for those 5 things (and thereby their first impression) to be gripes about the 5-post minimum, I don't know. trekgirl, don't take anything in this conversation personally -- it isn't about you, you are simply the most recent visitor to bring it up. There are a bazillion posts on this forum that basically amount to, "I'm new around here and I think it's time you did things my way." I agree with Vivienne that the easily-available content here is too useful not to be utilized. If one wants a low-barrier to entry, they can always try turnstep or spinfreak if they are still around? Plenty of blogs out there with profiles too.

BTW, the minimum used to be 10.

Hope you'll stick around. We can be quite fun, especially when the discussions about pedal stroke drills start up.
    sometimes low self-esteem is earned. it's the correct response if you are not trying your best. do something about it. - Michael Koppelman

My Blog for Instructors (no longer updated, but some useful stuff) * Charleston RIDE™ * Spotify

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast