Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why your club demands that YOU DO NOT TALK TO THE MEDIA!

While it's on my mind, your gym might also *demand* that you don't post on websites such as this.

Hasn't happened to me of late, but it behooves everyone to remember that there's nothing to stop any class member, gym vigilante etc. from accessing these boards and threads and comments (other than a 5 post minimum) and use them for whatever they think is important.

Efharisto!

Vivienne

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
    While it's on my mind, your gym might also *demand* that you don't post on websites such as this.

Hasn't happened to me of late, but it behooves everyone to remember that there's nothing to stop any class member, gym vigilante etc. from accessing these boards and threads and comments (other than a 5 post minimum) and use them for whatever they think is important.

Efharisto!

Vivienne
    I've become very careful about what I say on here for that very reason.
    Tracy
    Michigan
    STAR3 Certified Spinning Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by tvano1991 View Post
    I've become very careful about what I say on here for that very reason.

Well, I've become just the opposite.

FWIW, I don't perceive that I've ever badmouthed an employer or compromised their reputation in any meaningful way on an internet website. If there's a vigilante out there (Efharisto! ...... it is still out there BTW.....hello Jan!.....we know you're watching!) and my employer chooses to listen to complaints from that direction, I reckon it's better that we go our separate ways.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post

Efharisto!

Vivienne
    I had to look that word up Vivienne; Greek for Thank You, is that right?

I feel there's a big distinction between posting here and being interviewed by a reporter. Here you're an individual - although you should be aware that the Internet is forever.
    Reporters want credible sources and want to show a chain of authority; Instructor Andy Swenson doesn't have nearly the authority that; ACE certified Instructor Andy Swenson with Mega Fitness Club has. Your club wants to prevent that chain from occurring as it could be used negatively, even though you had good intentions when you gave the reporter permission to use your quote.

Blog Entries

On the topic of the Internet being forever... Google can provide a wealth of information about who finds this site and what were they searching for when they found it. The 5th most popular page, visited from a web search is http://www.pedal-on.com/showthread.p...ones-your-butt Which is one of the top results to a search for "Does spinning tone your butt?"

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    On the topic of the Internet being forever... Google can provide a wealth of information about who finds this site and what were they searching for when they found it. The 5th most popular page, visited from a web search is http://www.pedal-on.com/showthread.p...ones-your-butt Which is one of the top results to a search for "Does spinning tone your butt?"
    Ermehgawwsh. There are no words...
    sometimes low self-esteem is earned. it's the correct response if you are not trying your best. do something about it. - Michael Koppelman

My Blog for Instructors (no longer updated, but some useful stuff) * Charleston RIDE™ * Spotify

I guess it could be said that posting will make your butt look big.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd S View Post
    I guess it could be said that posting will make your butt look big.
    Too funny, do these cycling shorts make my butt look bigger?
    SpinBob
    Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional
    Spotify

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SpinBob View Post
    Too funny, do these cycling shorts make my butt look bigger?
    No Bob - but wearing cycling bibs can help you look thinner

Blog Entries

Welcome ICA readers! If you're not a member and want to comment you can join for free using this link.

Thanks for the link Bill!

A couple of new thoughts on this:

1st - You can't put the Genie back in the bottle. Millions (yes millions) of women will read this article over the next months and years - many of them will ignore it, but there will be a segment who will read this and think "well that confirms my concerns about cycling classes" and may never step foot in one of our classes - ever.

2nd - But Jennifer was misquoted! You're right she was misquoted. My Facebook post was specifically about why the author (with what we now see as a specific agenda) chose Jennifer to quote in the article that denigrates our favorite form of exercise. It's really simple to understand why; the author wanted a quote from someone that would strengthen her article, by listing someone with an impressive title - giving the impression of being an authoritative source... and she found one. Notice that there are no quotes from any of the established IC brands. Publishers and marketers understand almost no one reads articles word by word, they skim them for important words.

Bill your quote; "First, it should be obvious that no one speaks for the entire indoor cycling industry. The industry includes gyms, clubs and studios, bike and other product manufacturers, certifying organizations, educational resources, and instructors. No one speaks for that diverse of a group. Just as no one, not even the AMA, speaks for all physicians, or no one, not even the NRA, speaks for all gun owners."
    conveniently ignores my point. To the uninformed public a representative from the NRA does speak for all gun owners, the head of the AMA does speak for all doctors. That's why a reporter will seek out the representative who presents him or herself as an Expert or leader of (or connected to) a particular group, rather than Billy Bob gun owner from down the street when they need a quote about gun safety.

My original post in this thread is very specific to why your club doesn't want you to speak to the media. A reporter has very little interest in quoting a random Indoor Cycling Instructor... while they are very eager to include a quote from an Indoor Cycling Instructor with Soul Cycle, Flywheel, Lifetime Fitness, Equinox, etc..

3rd - What specific and or direct knowledge does she have to represent either side of this argument? Has she conducted any clinical trials that proves/disproves this? Has anyone? I'm not aware of any published research that would qualify anyone as an expert on whether or not your legs will get bigger from indoor cycling. As far as I can tell her knowledge comes from the same sources we all have available, should we choose to research the subject.

4th - Jennifer Sage was offered (and rejected) the same Industry Standard user designation we offer any other contributor that could benefit financially from their participation here at pedal-on.com.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    ... or like a stuffed sausage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast