Thread: Keiser M3 Bike Fit

Default Keiser M3 Bike Fit

I was subbing a class the other evening and had a new person and was setting them up on the bike. We have both types of handlebars on our bikes - those which are static and move up and down and, those with handlebar movement fore and aft. This person was on the static handle barred bike, and no matter what I did, the person was clearly reaching with hands placed on handlebar. I moved this person to another bike with the moving handlebars, reset the seat, and then worked to setup the handlebars. No matter what I did, the person was still reaching for the handlebars. I moved the seat to try and get the person a little 'closer' to the handlebars but of course, I didn't want to compromise the seat setup too much. The outcome was that I couldn't get a fit that didn't look like a stretch through the shoulders and arms. I know there are people with short arms.

Any ideas?
    Cycle Happy!
    EuroD
    Cycle Instructor Emeritus
    Star 3 Spinning Instructor
    Schwinn Certified Cycle Instructor
    AFAA Primary Certification
    Spotify

Sorry no ideas, I can only sympathize. My experience with the Keiser bikes is limited but have always been concerned about how much trouble I have just setting myself up and I am pretty average height-wise.
    SpinBob
    Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional
    Spotify

3. Default

I've run into this problem a few times too. You probably already tried this but, if the new person is on the short side, you could try dropping the handlebars down a few inches lower than you might normally do for a new person. The lower you drop them the closer the handlebars get to the saddle so it may eliminate some of that reach. The Keisers are generally such good bikes, it's a shame they have this design flaw.
    Good luck, Euro.

Handlebars were already as low as they go; I tend to drop handlebars anyway as people don't realize that the higher they are the further away from the midline.
    Same for the fore and aft, as far 'fore' as they can go.

I have to agree, they are in general good bikes; the design flaw for me is that the handlebars tip downwards a little, so you also have to be careful that the knees do not hit the edge of them. If they were designed a couple of degrees higher, I think this would help several with setup.
    Cycle Happy!
    EuroD
    Cycle Instructor Emeritus
    Star 3 Spinning Instructor
    Schwinn Certified Cycle Instructor
    AFAA Primary Certification
    Spotify