Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cueing Resistance

As already stated, I ask everyone to get a base by adding until you feel like a tire is on the road. Then, throughout the class, after adding, I'll say get back to your base. I use RPM's as a guide, though. I never ask them for a specific number for the gear.

Quote Originally Posted by robh View Post
    As already stated, I ask everyone to get a base by adding until you feel like a tire is on the road. Then, throughout the class, after adding, I'll say get back to your base. I use RPM's as a guide, though. I never ask them for a specific number for the gear.
    A good *bump* robh. I'd quite forgotten how I cued resistance when I taught with Keisers.

My MO back then was sort of like now......a few minutes *easy, peasy* run yer safety checks etc and then settling into a cadence-resistance combo that gave them a *wattage* (obviously a Keiser and not a James) of about 1/4 to 1/2 of their bodyweight. Outliers such as someone straight out of cardiac rehab or TdF winners excepted (I've had one of those, BTW) Add a couple of *gears* or so and call that your basement.

Never, ever suggested a specific *gear* above this basement ..... but the number of folk who wanted an ACTUAL number and asked overandoverandover again (sometimes even in the locker room......I jest not!) had me sometimes suggesting they try 24 and then work back.

Some folk are bound and determined to travel the wrong path......even with a good route map

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
    As an example of how I often roll in a class with either new to SPIN or new to me members I'll give you a breakdaown of yesterday's class... It was an iteration of an old profile posted ages ago and repeated frequently by some of us....each with a different take and cuing style. The link prolly won't work for you until you've gotten a few more posts under your belt (intended as an incentive, not a tease... )

It's what I call an ABC ride.....and I even have A,B and C in big letters on the mirror at the front of class...

A is "seated climb", B is JOH/transitions/seated standing combo (whatever terminology you use) and I start off with 10 secs or so standing, 20 secs seated/C is standing climb.

Round 1 starts at 1 min each move with resistance increase at each minute.....time for each movement increases by 1 min progressively so that by the end of class the last round is 9 minutes with 8 increases (theoretically)

Now, although there should be no "need" to come out of the saddle at all for the first and possibly even the second round for folk who've nailed the cues, it's as it is (Listen to me now....") so that technique has been test-driven at lowish intensity in prep for when the $h!t starts to happen....those "transitions" in B, for instance help to give the legs a bit of a break when a seated climb is really starting to bite but you don't want to give up on it yet. By the time class is in the last 2 or 3 rounds ("......or believe me later"), the cue changes to "however many breaks from the addle you need..."

Of course, as usual there was a relative newbie to me who just needed to get a "better" workout from the get-go......and ended up having to pretend she needed to stretch and whatnot before we were halfway done. Some folk just have to find out the hard way, I guess. Anyways.....that's the thought process behind why I cue specific moves very specifically......I know what's coming because I put the class together (and have oftentimes practised it many times at home to check how my cues are supposed to feel) This happens to be a very tough class to hack and I have it in my "Climbageddon" series along with my WILT profile from the Flamme Rouge website and some of that site's cues .....first couple of rounds should have you wondering when the workout is going to start....last couple when is it going to end......and when you get to the point where you can do it as is (a genuine resistance increase every minute of that last 9 minute round) start adding more time/resistance to make it hard all over again.

http://www.pedal-on.com/showthread.p...limb&highlight
    Vivienne, sorry for sounding so slow, but the profile you are describing in this post is the same 3-9 progressive climb of the posted link? I'm unclear because you write that the time increases 1 minute PER MOVE in each round, ending with a last round of 9 minutes, and I can't quite get how that adds up? I like how you use the A, B, C movements, makes it sound very not intimidating. Simple. Please elucidate.

Quote Originally Posted by kickerjoy View Post
    Vivienne, sorry for sounding so slow, but the profile you are describing in this post is the same 3-9 progressive climb of the posted link? I'm unclear because you write that the time increases 1 minute PER MOVE in each round, ending with a last round of 9 minutes, and I can't quite get how that adds up? I like how you use the A, B, C movements, makes it sound very not intimidating. Simple. Please elucidate.

Yes, that's what it is.

Round 1 a minute each of seated, JOH and Standing.....with resistance increase at the 1 and 2 min mark. 3 minutes with 2 resistance increases.

Round 2 add on minute and one resistance increase to A....B and C as round 1. 4 minutes with 3 resistance increases.

Round 3 you add an extra minute with resistance increase to B. Now you've got 5 minutes with 4 resistance increases......and so on.

As an earlier poster mentioned, this is an aspirational ride.....or as I cue it, failure is built in. I cannot do it as cued with 8 meaningful resistance increases on the last round. In fact, my "failure" point starts even earlier.

If you try it yourself you'll see what I mean. Rounds 1 and 2, I cue that they should be starting off that first minute of seated climb easily enough that they start to wonder when the workout's going to begin. They start to get the message by about round 4 or 5 and it's at this point that I encourage some decision making on their part by, maybe missing out the resistance increase at minute 1 to give them a longer "recovery" here in order to finish strong......or alternatively, miss out some of the add-ons toward the end of the round if they're too close to their resistance threshold. You could potentially have a class with everyone following the AB and C moves like Synchronised SPINNING but with multiple different challenges depending on where they make their compromises about adding on.

It teaches the idea of budgeting energy really well......especially when folk find their failure point for themselves

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123