Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calories per hour?

1. Default

Assuming that you worked at an "average" heart rate of about 89-90% of MHR then you would expect to burn calories at the rate of 20 per minute. Note, I said average heart rate so pieces above and below 90% to average out. You can find an article on the Polar site by Sally Edwards (not positive on last name) she is an acknowledged expert in this area and the article will bear out what I am saying. You would need to be an incredible strong rider to accomplish this.

When talking about calories and watts, I have found that every bike (Keiser, FreeMotion, Schwinn AC) will give you different numbers. It seems that manufactures have different hardware and different formulas using the hardware data to calculate that final numbers. So how do we campare numbers from one bike to the next. THe only consistent item is RPM, I hope. Heart rate will differ based on how your body is felling.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    THe only consistent item is RPM...
    Are you saying that the wattage reads on these computers are inaccurate?

Depends on what you think is accurate. Does every manufacture have the same equipment and same software that would make the read outs the same. I would think not and I am not sure how you would compare. It seems common sense to me. And frankly, I use the wattage on our Keiser M3's as measure of my effort yesterday, today and tomorrow. That all from me.

I've been teaching on bikes with watt meters and calorie counts for the last year. I believe that your readings are WAY too high to be realistic. I have all fitness levels in my classes, and the average watts produced for a 55-minute class are anywhere from 80 watts (low fitness) to 220 watts (former Cat 3 bike racer).

I'm a 48 year old female, and I burn about 450 calories in my own class, and nearly 600 if I take somebody else's class, since I don't have to cheat the workout to lead the workout. I suggest a recalibration of your bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by davidst302 View Post
    Assuming that you worked at an "average" heart rate of about 89-90% of MHR then you would expect to burn calories at the rate of 20 per minute. Note, I said average heart rate so pieces above and below 90% to average out. You can find an article on the Polar site by Sally Edwards (not positive on last name) she is an acknowledged expert in this area and the article will bear out what I am saying. You would need to be an incredible strong rider to accomplish this.
    The problem with taking any notice of "calories burned" on an HRM is that heart rate isn't an automatic proxy for meaningful effort in real terms.

Someone who's deconditioned will be reaching those stratospheric heart rates on very little actual work ......with a consequent disproportionately high calorie burn (for myself, coming back from injury just walking at about 3.5 mph did that......manifestly I couldn't have been burning more calories per minute at that speed than at my well-trained "long run pace" of under an 8 minute mile). Conversely, a well trained athlete with a big stroke volume will see just the opposite.

Polar manufactures HRMs with the calorie burn feature.....they're not going to be totally honest and inform their customers that they've been sold a crock.

Vivienne

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Depends on what you think is accurate. Does every manufacture have the same equipment and same software that would make the read outs the same. I would think not and I am not sure how you would compare. It seems common sense to me. And frankly, I use the wattage on our Keiser M3's as measure of my effort yesterday, today and tomorrow. That all from me.
    WORD!

Assuming that in a group ex. setting you're able to snag the same bike every time, that *calorie* feature is just another cumulative measurement of whether you're getting fitter (stronger, faster, leaner, smarter, prettier......whatever you want) over a specific time period, given the same class profile. It's not giving precise feedback on how many extra crumbs from a chocolate chip cookie you've created room for.

A bit like the *distance* thingie on the Keisers.........sorry, no, you didn't "travel" 20 miles this last 40 mins. just by virtue of whipping along like a weedwhacker with minimal resistance. No.....you didn't. REALLY.....U DID NOT!1!

All very depressing news......I can quite see why folk don't want to listen to *my* message.

Vivienne

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
    A bit like the *distance* thingie on the Keisers.........sorry, no, you didn't "travel" 20 miles this last 40 mins. just by virtue of whipping along like a weedwhacker with minimal resistance. No.....you didn't. REALLY.....U DID NOT!1!...
    Not sure if it's been mentioned before, or if everyone knows, but that distance measurement on Keisers just counts revolutions and divides by 200. So 20 miles is 4000 revolutions, and if someone did that in 40 minutes, it would be a sustained average 100 rpm - hard to imagine the typical class participant having significant resistance on for that.

Default Thanks

I appreciate all of the feedback on this topic. Now that we've had the bikes for a couple of months, I believe that accurate cumulative metrics (calories, distance, wattage) don't really matter so long as they are consistent - which they seem to be. Like Vivienne said, it is a way to track progress over a period of time. For a while, my stronger riders were interested in 'beating' their last 'score'. You can only do that for so long. Now I think everyone is just thankful that we have smooth riding bikes and readouts of RPMs and current wattage - these certainly make teaching a class easier.

10. Default

We have had Schwinn AC's for about 18 months, and we calibrate them frequently. That being said, every bike's a diva, and the reported metrics for each one are different from each other but always consistent within the same bike. Our students figured this out pronto, and they know which bikes "ride rich" and which "ride poor". Even though they all know that the "rides rich" bikes aren't presenting real numbers, guess which bikes get snapped up first every time?

I always advise newbies to try to ride the same bike for a while, so that they'll have a consistent benchmark to track their improvement. I tell my regulars to do this too, and some listen, but a lot of them ignore the lure of consistent feedback in favor of the psychological thrill of a "rides rich" bike. I "get" that -- imaginary or not, it's kinda heady to see "1095" on your KCALS readout. Definitely improves your mood for the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Legalpeach View Post
    We have had Schwinn AC's for about 18 months, and we calibrate them frequently. That being said, every bike's a diva, and the reported metrics for each one are different from each other but always consistent within the same bike. Our students figured this out pronto, and they know which bikes "ride rich" and which "ride poor". Even though they all know that the "rides rich" bikes aren't presenting real numbers, guess which bikes get snapped up first every time?

I always advise newbies to try to ride the same bike for a while, so that they'll have a consistent benchmark to track their improvement. I tell my regulars to do this too, and some listen, but a lot of them ignore the lure of consistent feedback in favor of the psychological thrill of a "rides rich" bike. I "get" that -- imaginary or not, it's kinda heady to see "1095" on your KCALS readout. Definitely improves your mood for the day!
    Thanks for that peach. I will definitely use this cue with my students.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast