Thread: Need cadence monitor for my Spinning Bike.. any recommendations?

1. Default Need cadence monitor for my Spinning Bike.. any recommendations?

I am having the hardest time finding a cadence computer to install onto my home spinning bike...
    any suggestions?

I would love to have one to connect up with an iPhone app if possible or if not, it really doesn't matter. : )
    I am going to start doing some spinning videos with my husband when he trains indoors, he is a mountain biker and does spinning videos inside to train sometimes.

Thanks in advance!
    Mary Ann

Here is a cadence monitor made to work with Spinners® made by Mad Dogg Athletics. It may work with indoor bikes with a similar wheel size, but I do not know.
    http://www.spinning.com/en/webshop/product/1001/cadence_sensor_and_magnet

The monitor works with the Spinning Computer
    http://www.spinning.com/en/webshop/p...FcJo4Aodj0gAYA

or monitor works with the Digifit iPhone app
    http://www.digifit.com/what-is-digifit/iphone-ipad-ipod.asp
    SpinBob
    Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional
    Spotify

3. Default

I actually found that one while searching.. i emailed them to see if it would work on other spinning bikes.
    I am still waiting to hear back from them. : )
    Thanks so much!

4. Default

What kind of spin bike do you have?
    Inner Drive Cycling|Fitness Studio
    Indoor Cycling|Functional Fitness|Multisport Coaching & Club
    www.innerdrivestudio.com

5. Default

*Hangs head*.. i only have a cheap spinner bike. So your basic $300 model is what i have.
    I want to be sure i can stick with spinning and enjoy it before i invest in a better bike, which i will if i can get the hang of it. : )

6. Default

I wonder if a basic wireless cadence sensor for a "real" bike would work.... Normally the way they work is that the sensor is placed on the bike's chain stay, and then a magnet is placed on the crank arm. Every time the magnet passes the sensor, it's recorded as one revolution. You might be able to place the magnet on the crank arm, and place the sensor somewhere on the frame of the spin bike that the crank arm passes with every revolution... Every bike is built a little differently, so I'm not sure where exactly to suggest, but take a look at the bike and see if you think something might work. You could go to your local bike shop and see if they have any suggestions for something that might work. The magnet on the crank arm typically needs to pass pretty close to the sensor for it to record properly. If you get an ANT+ cadence sensor, you could use one of the Wahoo fitness apps on your iphone...
    Inner Drive Cycling|Fitness Studio
    Indoor Cycling|Functional Fitness|Multisport Coaching & Club
    www.innerdrivestudio.com

7. Default

Ya know...
    I think my hubby may have one of these that he doesn't use anymore. I may see if he can get it to work on my bike.
    GREAT idea!!!
    Thanks!!!! : )

and just using music with the desired bpm and/or a metronom is no option?

Quote Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
    and just using music with the desired bpm and/or a metronom is no option?
    Ya know what.....this seems like a perfectly reasonable option to me. But then that's me....let me just drag out the metronome my daughter used in order to grab the timing for that Bouree from Bach's Fifth Lute Suite.

Follow my pedal speed....that seems like a perfectly reasonable option.....

A cadence check.....another perfectly reasonable option....

Tremendously happy that *different options* have worked for different folk.....but don't pretend. REALLY.

I'm getting sick of it.

Blog Entries

I like the looks of the Wahoo cadence sensor that works with your iPhone's bluetooth. It's a slick little sensor that attaches to one crank arm with double sided tape or two zip-ties - but doesn't need an additional magnet = very easy to install and use.

wahoo-4_1.jpg
    Works with these apple products
    IPHONE
    iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S

IPAD
    iPad (3rd gen), iPad (4th gen), iPad Mini, iPad Air

IPOD
    iPod Touch (5th gen)

11. Default

Another feature of the Wahoo RPM cadence sensor is that it can be mounted to a cycling shoe strap with an included strap mount. The benefit of this is that if you use your cycling shoes indoors on your spin bike and outdoors on your bike, you don't have to have two sensors.