Thread: National Heart Month

Default National Heart Month

Just realised it's Feb 1st (where did January go).....so, along with fines on my library books for being a day or two late, it's now o-FISH-awly National Heart Month.

I shall be debuting my brand new Suunto HRM in my next class (purchased only because it looks a bit slicker to use as an everyday watch than my Polar) and wearing my brand new red earrings......made by my own hand with Fair Trade Kazumi heart shaped beads. Apart from Valentine's stuff, I'm wondering what else to do before the end of the month that won't look too themey and annoying.

Maybe I'll print out my latest lipid blood work and underline that HDL of 98!!

Vivienne

You could introduce, or reintroduce, heart rate zones to your class... or hand out a heart rate chart and have everyone determine their heart rate goals
    SpinBob
    Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional
    Spotify

Well, for tomorrow's gig, I'm going to remind the assembled crew that we're most of us past our "zero maintenance years".....so if the last annual physical was 5 years ago, maybe this month is a good time fix that. This month's IDEA journal has a lot of nice coverage of cardiovascular issues that makes it a pretty darn decent review of stuff to remember.

I'm going drag metamorph's "Lost Interval" ride out of the shed http://www.pedal-on.com/showthread.p...-Brian-McKenna ..... a good example of cardiovascular physiology-in-action if ever there was one. Well used.....but not quite threadbare yet!

This time last year, I handed out 3 or 4 actual heart rate monitors to apparently interested folk. Haven't seen them....or the recipients.....for the last 6 months or more, so I won't be going that route.

4. Default

Americanheart.org has some good handouts I give to participants.
    We do regular heart rate checks and discuss physiology, goals.
    Friday class we wear red ( go red for women) and put in a raffle ticket, give prize out last Friday in Feb.
    Heads up: March is National Nutrition Month

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
    I'm going drag metamorph's "Lost Interval" ride out of the shed http://www.pedal-on.com/showthread.p...-Brian-McKenna ..... a good example of cardiovascular physiology-in-action if ever there was one. Well used.....but not quite threadbare yet!
    Oh, this is a good ride, thanks for refreshing it in my memory...

It is that.

I've tweaked it a hair.......mainly because meta's initial dodgy math had me putting a playlist together with more music than I had ride for so I've added a bit to the warm up in the form of a 2 minute "ramp up" effort with a bit of recovery just to get a feel for what a 2 minute effort feels like. I think that, even if folk are used to this type of ride, it's sometimes hard to judge the intensity you need to nail. I reinforced the notion that if you're fading with 20 seconds left you went out a bit too hard, if there's gas in the tank for an extra 20 seconds when you should need a recovery, you went too easy. Definitely a "Listen to me now..." ride.

It'd be a real eye opener to do this on a bike with power feedback. I had them just trying to reproduce as close to their first "best" effort per their Poor Man's Power Meter (the position of the little man on their red knobs) and to notice how it gets to be difficult-to-impossible as the recoveries get progressively shorter. I had enough spare music left after the 2+2 minutes/no recovery (a.k.a. 4 minute insterval) to give them close to 3 minutes easy pedal before one final 2 minutes as an illustration that if you want your "hard" to actually be hard (as opposed to mediocre and pretending) your "easy" has to be easy and/or long enough.

Vivienne

Yes, I've had to adjust things to fit into my class time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tracytrd View Post
    Americanheart.org has some good handouts I give to participants.
    We do regular heart rate checks and discuss physiology, goals.
    Friday class we wear red ( go red for women) and put in a raffle ticket, give prize out last Friday in Feb.
    Heads up: March is National Nutrition Month
    Anyone with plans for next month.

My ACE/IDEA newsletter actually had some great tips for cardiovascular stuff......but the snail mail version arrived after the first of Feb and the online version hasn't landed in my e-mail box yet. Not good for forward planners.

FWIW, I've only just realised that Feb is also National Child Dental Health month, shame on me (so few months in a year......so many issues)

Vivienn

I was never good at math .... and something tells me I won't be any better anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
    It is that.

I've tweaked it a hair.......mainly because meta's initial dodgy math had me putting a playlist together with more music than I had ride for so I've added a bit to the warm up in the form of a 2 minute "ramp up" effort with a bit of recovery just to get a feel for what a 2 minute effort feels like. I think that, even if folk are used to this type of ride, it's sometimes hard to judge the intensity you need to nail. I reinforced the notion that if you're fading with 20 seconds left you went out a bit too hard, if there's gas in the tank for an extra 20 seconds when you should need a recovery, you went too easy. Definitely a "Listen to me now..." ride.

It'd be a real eye opener to do this on a bike with power feedback. I had them just trying to reproduce as close to their first "best" effort per their Poor Man's Power Meter (the position of the little man on their red knobs) and to notice how it gets to be difficult-to-impossible as the recoveries get progressively shorter. I had enough spare music left after the 2+2 minutes/no recovery (a.k.a. 4 minute insterval) to give them close to 3 minutes easy pedal before one final 2 minutes as an illustration that if you want your "hard" to actually be hard (as opposed to mediocre and pretending) your "easy" has to be easy and/or long enough.

Vivienne
    All hail the Velominati cycling rule #5

.....and bumping this thread, because....

BTW....Feb 2nd is Go Red day this year. I actually have this down because it's the same for veterinary medicine as well as human so I'm more involved with marketing the month for my daughter's (Dr. Baby from Days of Yore) cardiology practice.

....and if that *Lost Interval* ride that's linked to is a mystery to you. Check it out......and give it a lash (as meta would've said) You will not be disappointed!!