Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Piriformis Syndrome Anyone?

I have had this for about 7 years. I'll add my name to those that get relief from stretching. I stretch every day, sometimes twice. When I watch TV at night, I watch from the floor while I stretch. Its also really important for me to stretch after a hard workout on the bike. If I don't do this for a few days I can definitely feel it. I also lost some weight this year and the pain in my glute/leg has been a lot better. I don't know if the weight loss helped or not but there has been a noticeable decline in the pain and other symptoms since I did. Also look at things like how you sit at your desk (I appropriate). Do you cross your legs? Not doing this all the time helped me.

YMMV and good luck

I've had this for about six months, too and my hip flexors are involved too but the left side is the affected one.
    Stretching helps somewhat and I also use the black foam roller particularly on my quads as they seem to be bearing the brunt right now. I also found massage helped and am now trying acupuncture, however, am not getting the relief I had hoped.

I feel it most if I sit for too long (aka now, at work) or when driving as I also get the shooting pain down the side of the leg.

Real pain in behind!
    Cycle Happy!
    EuroD
    Cycle Instructor Emeritus
    Star 3 Spinning Instructor
    Schwinn Certified Cycle Instructor
    AFAA Primary Certification
    Spotify

3. Default

This is exactly what I have. My sports chiro has worked on it, but never actually labeled it Piriformis.

Quote Originally Posted by EuroD View Post
    I've had this for about six months, too and my hip flexors are involved too but the left side is the affected one.
    Stretching helps somewhat and I also use the black foam roller particularly on my quads as they seem to be bearing the brunt right now. I also found massage helped and am now trying acupuncture, however, am not getting the relief I had hoped.

I feel it most if I sit for too long (aka now, at work) or when driving as I also get the shooting pain down the side of the leg.

Real pain in behind!

My cure to pirformis is a good massage therapist. I schedule appointments as soon as I feel it coming on, and then I try to maintain great muscle tone through weight training in addition to spinning. Since I started doing all of these things religiously I have not had any problems (knock on wood)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12