Thread: why are CycleOps training zones different from others?

Scottsdale, Arizona (yep, it is HOT here)

Default why are CycleOps training zones different from others?

I currently teach with CycleOps bikes with power meters. I use the zones in the CycleOps manual, but find that they differ from others I've found - specifically Coggan's. Any reason for this?
    Thanks!

Because they wanted to??

It's also important to note that Coggan's levels are anchored to functional threshold power. If memory serves, CycleOps bases their zones on a 5 minute test which is essentially a VO2max test (like Daniel's V-dot). It's important to understand this distinction so you can keep in mind each test's strengths and weaknesses.

ok, got it!
    Interesting because at my studio, we do a 20 min FTP test instead of 5 min, but use Cycleops zones. Should I make any adjustments?

It's been years since I've looked at the CycleOps materials, but offhand I would say that if you're using CycleOps zones and a 20 minute test your zones will be set a bit too low.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spinrgirl View Post
    I currently teach with CycleOps bikes with power meters. I use the zones in the CycleOps manual, but find that they differ from others I've found - specifically Coggan's. Any reason for this?
    Thanks!
    Marketing

This need to re-invent training zones (heart rate or power) with the sole purpose of differentiation is IMO the most destructive force in fitness. It has created the modern version of the Tower of Babel - "They are one people and have one language, and nothing will be withheld from them which they purpose to do." "Come, let us go down and confound their speech."

interesting! I just spoke with my manager at the studio where we use the Cycleops bikes and we are making a transition to using the Coggen zones instead. It will be easier for our clients to apply their training sessions at our place with their individual training plans and what their coaches want for them. Seems like a good move from what I've read here :-)! Thanks for all the info!

7. Default

Watt based training is the best means to truly improve your strength and speed. This training which is new to the casual rider has been used by pro riders since the 80's- the Belgium pro teams used it back then. Top pro riders hold an average 30 minute watt base of 450- ouch!

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman EU-USA View Post
    Watt based training is the best means to truly improve your strength and speed. This training which is new to the casual rider has been used by pro riders since the 80's- the Belgium pro teams used it back then. Top pro riders hold an average 30 minute watt base of 450- ouch!
    Thanks for the info