Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NON-Certified Instructors?!?

1. Default

I agree...teachers MUST have credentials. I have seen my gym hire someone off the street to teach cycle with horrendous results. Plus, its such a liability issue...the instructor MUST be first aid/CPR/AED trained and certified, they must know how to plan a safe, effective, and fun class for everyone, and they must understand the mechanics of bike setup/safety/and function. That being said, I also think ALL instructors should obtain a group fitness certification, whether it be through AFAA, ACE, NASM, etc. As leaders in the fitness industry, its so important to understand anatomy, kinesiology, physiology, wellness, and injury prevention. Just my humble opinion! =-)

2. Default

As an experienced Spin class participant (decades) but a relatively new instructor (4 months), I would never have presumed I could teach a class prior to getting certified. And it simply would never happen at any gym I'm aware of. I would think that those intent on teaching a certain class would WANT to persue certification to be equipped with the knowledge AND skills they need to be successful and safe.

It all depend on the person background, we all know that there are plenty of certified instructors that do not know anything ... there is a few certification that really control who they put on the market as instructor, using "is" is not a grammatical error but because I just know ONE certification that is not certify you if you are not ready.

To be a great instructor, you need:
    1st to have start or experiment GOOD IDC classes on a REGULAR basis, and saying that outdoor experience would make you a better one is TOTELLY false;
    2nd you have to self study a LOT, be open mind and be critic contructively;
    3rd you have to know what is your real job ... the limit of it ... and your limit ... it is great to be a coach and instructor but you could lost yourself and classe trying to do something you are not ready, made for or have access to (population).

There are certified instructors that do all sorts of contraindicated movements, so I cringe to think what potentially uncertified instructors expose club members to. It brings to mind the old saying about the doctor who finishes first in his or her calls and the one who finishes last....they're both called doctors. All things being equal, who would you rather go to? And you certainly wouldn't go to one who didn't go to medical school either. I know it's not an equitable analogy, but the point is all cycling instructors should be certified.

Spin_me Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kelwend View Post
    It all depend on the person background, we all know that there are plenty of certified instructors that do not know anything ... there is a few certification that really control who they put on the market as instructor, using "is" is not a grammatical error but because I just know ONE certification that is not certify you if you are not ready.

To be a great instructor, you need:
    1st to have start or experiment GOOD IDC classes on a REGULAR basis, and saying that outdoor experience would make you a better one is TOTELLY false;
    2nd you have to self study a LOT, be open mind and be critic contructively;
    3rd you have to know what is your real job ... the limit of it ... and your limit ... it is great to be a coach and instructor but you could lost yourself and classe trying to do something you are not ready, made for or have access to (population).
    +1 Don´t see the money you can earn. See the students, see every single person and then you´re on a good way with or without a certification.

Just came across this old thread but it brings up an excellent point. Although it takes more than an 8 hour workshop to become a good instructor, it is definitely where, in my opinion, you need to start. There are so many instructors out there doing so many contraindicated movements that without becoming certified, they may be coaching contraindicated movements without knowing any better. I still had so much to learn after my initial certification course, and I still do, but at least I started with the right foundation.

7. Default

Continuing Education is also key!

8. Default

Sometimes I wonder if people actually KNOW they can't use the word "Spinning" on their advertisement. I work at a facility that teaches cycling and instructors are Group X certified. We don't advertise spinning, but I have talked to others in the field who are surprisingly not aware. Craziness.

The crazy never ends, for sure Mishcyclle. I used to be afraid to tell people they were doing it wrong, but now I really think that educating someone about the error is actually a kindness. When done kindly and with their best interests in mind, of course. Many will choose to ignore it, but at least they can't claim ignorance anymore.
    sometimes low self-esteem is earned. it's the correct response if you are not trying your best. do something about it. - Michael Koppelman

My Blog for Instructors (no longer updated, but some useful stuff) * Charleston RIDE™ * Spotify

I have also seen gyms, that will pull riders out of class and ask to teach because they are regulars. It really makes me cringe. When I ask members if they ever thought about the difference in Spinning/Cycle, most look at me with a who cares look, but, I care, and I tell them anyway.

I've been teaching group fitness classes for 15 years and I can't imagine NOT having the training or background.
    Becoming a certified cycling instructor was tough but worth the work.
    Leading a class takes more than just cueing, creating a profile, and playlist. I think it takes both experience and certification and if possible a really good mentor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast