Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Truth About Indoor Cycling Cadence

1. Default

I try to avoid anything in class that I wouldn't do outside on a ride but, it seems many of my class participants feel that if they are not bringing their cadence up to something like 120 or 130 RPM they aren't getting a proper workout. I talk about safety and I focus a lot of heart rate rather than cadence but I still face the same issue. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by mamba View Post
    ... I had an "aha" moment in a master class a few weeks ago. As an outdoor cyclist, I spend some time in each indoor class coaching proper form for stroke, body position, etc. In this master class the instructor said that most mistakes people commonly make can be remedied by an increase in resistance.
    Monitoring cadence (keeping it at or below 110RPM) is safe. I love your comment about increasing resistance to remedy mistakes. I've used that in classes I teach when I see people bouncing in their seats... a couple gears up and the bounce usually goes away

Quote Originally Posted by Megale View Post
    "Ride hard, stay within yourself, don't forget to breath" best cue money can buy.

The spectrum:

1) Fastest cadences + very low resistance = Cardio vascular fatigue

2) Slowest cadences + very high resistance = Localized Muscular fatigue

My take:
    Try to shoot for the middle with emphasis on visiting toward either end of the spectrum without succumbing to a missed training opportunity.

Mike
    Thanks Mike. Great advice. I find myself staying right in that middle ground often going toward one end then the other and back again... simple but effective.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by sharimiranda View Post
    Great discussion.

Here is the link to the article, in case anyone missed it:
    http://www.active.com/cycling/Articles/The-Truth-About-Indoor-Cycling-Cadence.htm
    It would appear the link has changed... here's the current URL:
    http://www.active.com/cycling/articl...ycling-cadence

Good information in there

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by blaning View Post
    I agree also. I have several people that continually spin their legs at an inordinate rate. This is on "hill" sections of the class as well. I've never gotten off the bike to admonish them to slow down, but will tell the entire class the benefits of slower cadence with slightly more resistance. Those that choose to follow my lead will have the most success. The others I just hope don't become injured during my sessions.
    I would also agree with not adjusting someone's resistance. I also try to help my classes understand the benefits of slower cadences with more resistance; however, I think it's important that the whole class also understand the risks involved in going too fast and/or having too little resistance for the RPM. Safety tips are normally appreciated and can change the course of riders that seem to be destined for injury. Not educating is close to not caring IMHO.

Doug

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345