Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spinning Endurance Zone

1. Default

The mental aspect is 1/2 the battle during an endurance ride...

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cahill_es View Post
    The mental aspect is 1/2 the battle during an endurance ride...
    And the right music choice is the other 1/2...

3. Default

Do any of you have trouble getting folks to do Endurance? I have found folks think they always get best benefit at high intensity. I explain benefit of Endurance, but there are some that just don't like this class...

Quote Originally Posted by karmaspin View Post
    Do any of you have trouble getting folks to do Endurance? I have found folks think they always get best benefit at high intensity. I explain benefit of Endurance, but there are some that just don't like this class...
    Well, you might want to think about the idea that they might be right.

*Doing Endurance* per the SPINNING prescription actually has folk working at an intensity that could be maintained for waaay longer than an hour's class allows for. How beneficial might that be for someone who's there for less than an hour.

That's the thing with Endurance ....it has to at a level that you have to *endure*. Riding easy every once in a while isn't a bad thing but there really isn't a way to gussie it up for the folk who come for a challenging workout.

FWIW, it's no harder .... or easier...to get my peeps to commit to HIIT or *Endurance* ....it's all the same to them.

I just came from a lunch hour spin class where the instructor announced it would be an "endurance" ride and told people they should be riding at 90-95% of their HR! Yikes. The class is 45 min - so she had everyone out of the saddle for at least 35. I left early - she also talked through the entire ride (I just answered my own question about talking too much - I do not). She kept saying something about coming out of your comfort zone -

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaK View Post
    I just came from a lunch hour spin class where the instructor announced it would be an "endurance" ride and told people they should be riding at 90-95% of their HR! Yikes. -
    Well, I have a couple of new class members who're AbFab value for class vibe but it seems that they're totally hooked on prior HR teaching. They've apparently done Race Day Rides for 90 minutes at over 92% Max HR.

When drawing attention to the fact that physiology is a Science for a reason, I cannot match up to this.

HELLO!!!!.... SPINNING certifyers !....

Get a bit of a take on cardiovascular physiology. Peeps might notice.

So what kind of music is right for an endurance ride. I have never done one in class, didn't think there would be much interest. I do them by myself (I think an endurance ride is good for mind and body. I use rock/jazz like Jeff Beck or long Grateful Dead sets. My question is what kind of music do you use in the class setting?

8. Default Endurance Profile

This is one endurance ride I've done for an hour long class (~50min ride w/ 10min of cool down/stretching at the end). It consists of a series of rolling hills that get progressively longer and steeper. Don't come out of the saddle after the warmup... this is a seated climb... except for switchbacks...

Goal is to maintain an average 65-75% PER or HRmax for the ENTIRE time.

Maintain >80rpm for the entire ride

Resistance is based on Keiser cycles, 1-25 gears, Flat road for me is 11/12, mod climbing is 12-16, steep is 17-21+

Warmup, 80-110 rpm, low R to flat road (FR) - Christmas Canon, Transiberian Orchestra, 4:19
    Warmup (cont), >80 rpm, FR+1 or 2 w/ running (should be easy) - midnight star, dj lobsterdust, 4:43 (9:02)
    Warmup (cont), >80 rpm, FR to mod climb, getting them ready for the real work ahead, can do pedal drills - lights out, santigold, 3:13 (12:15)
    1st rolling hill, >80 rpm, increase R (11-13) til HR~75%, hold, FR for final minute - the adventure, angels and airwaves, 5:13 (17:28)
    2nd rolling hill, >80 rpm, increase R (12-14) for 1:30, climb 1:30-4:45, smooth switchbacks 4:45-5:45, FR to the end - two step, dmb, 6:27, (23:55)
    3rd rolling hill, >80 rpm, increase R (13-15) for 3:00, climb 3-7, decrease to FR to end - forever and always, planet boelex, 7:54, (31:49)
    4th rolling hill pt 1, >80 rpm, increase R, (10-14-16) 0-1:30, 1:30-3, 3-4:30 respectively - papua new guinea, the future sound of London, 5:00 (36:49)
    4th rolling hill pt 2, >80 rpm, R=14-16, 0-4:15 keep climbing, 4:15-5:07 smooth switchbacks, 5:07-end keep climbing - heaven, angels and airwaves, 6:38 (43:27)
    Come down slowly, >80 rpm, R should decrease from steep-mod-FR-downhill - Rimini Chill, Islands of Chill, 7:07, (50:34)
    Cool down, stretch and have a great day!

9. Default

I have been teaching endurance rides weekly for many years. It is challenging in that people want the high of going anaerobic. I have found, and this is in agreement with Jennifer, that I ride between 65-80% of max hr for one hour and this tends to be very challenging in a different way from intervals or strength training. I do use some rock but also lots of electronicy dance stuff such as sloar storm by tikal and the last marshmellow by hardfloor, I tend to use lots of instrumentals with rock and indie songs sprinkled in.

10. Default

Wow, thank you for the nice profile with great music suggestions @routerdood!

11. Default

Interesting thread - I typically always to intervals in a 45 minute session. Is it worth mixing in the odd steady-state endurance type session at maybe 70-80 MHR?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast