Thread: Please tell me this isn't part of the Real Ryder program.....

1. Default Please tell me this isn't part of the Real Ryder program.....

I wanted to try out a Real Ryder bike, so I went to a relatively new indoor cycling studio a few towns over using the bikes. The bikes were pretty cool, I kinda like the way the move in response to your movement, a little more like "real" bikes. The instructor, however.... asked us to do some pretty questionable moves....

The worst was probably: assume Aero position (the bikes are pretty adjustable, so it's actually possible to assume a pretty reasonable aero position), and add HEAVY RESISTANCE, then after a minute or so, staying in "aero position", stand and continue to "climb".... I hope it was just a bad instructor, and that that's not part of Real Ryder's program....

The heavy resistance and standing in aero is not part of what they teach in their training, no. But riding in the aero position - that they do teach.

3. Default

Glad to hear that... Like I said, for me anyway, the bike was adjustable enough that I was able to assume a pretty decent aero position (much more so than I would be able to on our club's Spinner bikes), but the heavy resistance and standing definitely had me scratching my head...

4. Default

Another question on the Real Ryder's....do they teach leaning/turning right and left quickly? I'm talking like 2 seconds right/2 seconds left which they had us doing in classes I took. I also notice that leaning the bike left and right isn't a very "natural" feel. I find myself using upper body (arms) to turn the bars along with some leaning, but mostly arms. The instructor told me that was correct. I do like the bike much better than the Keisers that I taught with 5 years ago but I was hoping it would be a more "natural" movement.

5. Default

The RealRyders have a bit of a learning curve. It took me 2-3 rydes (at least) to start getting comfortable on them.

There is quick turning included in the program, not sure if it is as quick as 2-seconds, though.

I much prefer the RR to the Keisers that I teach on. But I really enjoyed riding the Spinner Blades and Blade Ion at WSSC.
    Kathy

6. Default

I love the feel of the RR, but even after taking numerous classes, I still didn't feel comfortable with the turning. The instructor (who is certified through RR), kept telling me that is how it is but I struggled with that since it should be a natural move. (In my mind anyway) My heart rate was also hard to keep in check. The class didn't have much of a warm up, so my HR was at the top within 5 minutes of the class starting and even though I "did my own thing", my heart rate was at the top throughout the whole class(es). I think my HR had a lot to do with how the instructor formed her classes. There isn't a real "method to her madness", it's just balls to the wall each class. She does several contradicted moves that drove me crazy, so I'm not sure she followed what was taught to her in certification. I did my own thing but I still struggled with my HR. I would love to try the bike in a different studio/gym with a different instructor because I think she had a lot to do with my concerns about the bike. I'm not giving up on it yet!

I think the turning is part of the programme that's designed to add a bit of interest. I did the RR cert. a couple of years ago and, although I don't teach on one, I've taken a few classes at a nearby gym where the instructors were all on the same cert. course as me. They all have a different take on what I thought I heard......ranging from one who doesn't really do much of the banking and turning but treats it more like a SPIN bike with movement (much the way I'd teach myself) to one gal who does a lot of freezes and emphasizes the *core* work you can do (which I swear I never heard out of the mouths of either Doug or Adam.....on the cert course and workshops I done subsequently)

It does take a bit of getting used to.