Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Videos

1. Default

www.globalride.net

I'm using the Hawaii videos right now. Well, I've only gotten to use one out of the set (Maui Rollers) and it's nice. Not as cool as I thought it would be, but I'm hoping the other two videos have more scenery.

The thing about videos shot outdoors is you have to realize when you are outside things take time. It takes time to actually get up a hill... It's not a "Let's do a seated climb for 2 minutes" type of thing... It can be a 10 minute, a 25 minute, or even hours (if you are scaling a mountain) to get to the top.

I think this is maybe why we can feel like videos are boring; they are slow moving... but that's the reality, and you can use reality to your benefit. You don't ride your bicycle at 60mph, you ride it much slower, therefore the scenery moves along much slower. But, like I said- use this to your benefit to teach your indoor cyclists who don't go outside that it takes dedication and patience to ride. But also, you can see remarkable scenary, and it can be quite enjoyable. The next time you teach a ride without a video you can focus on making those climbs longer, those flat roads different... On a bike outside you are always changing gears... try to incorporate that. Sometimes if we are scaling a large hill in my class, I will tell them that it levels off and just to back the resistance off a tiny bit... let them feel the relief in their legs (that you feel outdoors) for a few seconds and then turn the heat back up.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on Hope that these links that everyone is giving are helpful! I'm new to teaching at a facility that also has video capibilities! Woohoo!
    Kala
    Star 2 Spinning Instructor

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by markelmarcel View Post
    The thing about videos shot outdoors is you have to realize when you are outside things take time. It takes time to actually get up a hill... It's not a "Let's do a seated climb for 2 minutes" type of thing... It can be a 10 minute, a 25 minute, or even hours (if you are scaling a mountain) to get to the top.
    Some videos are shot from a travelling car or motorbike. These take 'less' time to climb those hills. It feels strange though to be passing cars doing 80 km/h (50 mph)!

I have used a number of different DVD's. My biggest complaint is that none really show the incline - you always feel like you are on a flat road because the camera is parallel to the road surface. They tell you you are on an incline but the camera (and your eyes) don't give you that perspective. If you look to the side of the road, you might see people and buildings tilted; then you realise that you are on an incline. On one, as you ride along a seemly flat road, the fencing on the side of the road appears to be rise about 2 feet for every 6 foot section.
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

3. Default

[quote=CycleGuy;81590]I have used a number of different DVD's. My biggest complaint is that none really show the incline - you always feel like you are on a flat road because the camera is parallel to the road surface.quote]

Have you tried the Ride the Rockies video? Shot mostly from a camera on one of the riders.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dura-Ace View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleGuy View Post
    I have used a number of different DVD's. My biggest complaint is that none really show the incline - you always feel like you are on a flat road because the camera is parallel to the road surface.
    Have you tried the Ride the Rockies video? Shot mostly from a camera on one of the riders.
    Haven't tried that particular series, but have seen other that are shot from a bike. Same complaint. Camera is mounted on the bike and remains parallel to the frame of the bike. As the bike points up a hill, so does the camera. Also, these have tended to have a lot of shake to the camera.
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

Blog Entries

Default Virtual Ride DVDs

In following your thread about using videos in Spinning classes, I would offer our epicRIDES series which includes a digitial dashboard on the video with a terrain profile and average grade indication.

We have sold quite a few of these to Spinning instructors and have received much good feedback about the digital dashboard and overall video quality!

You can see a preview of our Epic Acadia DVD on our home page:

www.epicplanet.tv

Happy riding all!

Quote Originally Posted by epicplanet View Post
    In following your thread about using videos in Spinning classes, I would offer our epicRIDES series which includes a digitial dashboard on the video with a terrain profile and average grade indication.
    Have to say that of all the videos I've purchased for use in class (including Rides: The Rockies), the EpicRides videos are by far my favorites. I showed EpicAcadia a few weeks ago, and my riders *loved* it. They even wanted to do it again the next week! I had several folks who have ridden the route in real life, and though they say that Cadillac IRL is tougher than it looks on the screen, they challenged themselves appropriately because of the dashboard elevation display.

Really, the scenery is good, the route is good, but the dashboard is brilliant. If I could project one for every class -- even without the shots of the road and view -- I would.

Just my $.02...
    "A mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions."
    -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

7. Default Videos

have a look at katzforums.com for various videos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12