Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choreography Counts in RPM -

Quote Originally Posted by xor999spin View Post
    ... since taking RPM, I can see there is more depth to my teaching. I always feel the music when I put together my free style ride. I use music to fit the profile thus it takes sometimes hours to make a profile but I feel it in that sense. RPM changed the way I need to hear the music that's all. It's all good, just different. I feel so lucky to see that there are so many ways to deliver a good cycling class. However, one thing never changes, it's the effort you put into designing the class that really makes the difference and that can mean studying chorey from another program LM or putting together your own profile....
    I agree, taking the training to teach Group Power has made me so much more aware of how I use the music in my own cycling classes. Maybe more importantly, just they importance of being prepared for your class rather than just winging it. My club does not have Group Ride, the BTS cycling class, which may be just as well. I appreciate the variety of teaching a preformatted class in one format and my own in another.

Also have to say how much easier it has become to learn the preformatted classes. When I took the Group Power training, I thought how am I ever going to memorize the page of notation for each of the ten songs. But it soon all started making sense to me and now I look forward to learning each new release.
    Last edited by Paul S.; 05-10-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: clicked "submit" too soon!

2. Default

But Rick I can tell you get it- I've used some of your profiles before- and the fact that u actually tried it means you get it-you've felt the road resistance on your tires. As far as liking it- well that's another thing entirely. I'm a mediocre rider at best and there are days - especially here in Texas in the summer-that it's such a chore to pedal that I want to throw my bike into the ditch and never ride again. If you ever get down Houston way come ride with me- I'm a step just above beach cruiser and that's the way I like it

Quote Originally Posted by Jpgirl View Post
    But Rick I can tell you get it- I've used some of your profiles before- and the fact that u actually tried it means you get it-you've felt the road resistance on your tires. As far as liking it- well that's another thing entirely. I'm a mediocre rider at best and there are days - especially here in Texas in the summer-that it's such a chore to pedal that I want to throw my bike into the ditch and never ride again. If you ever get down Houston way come ride with me- I'm a step just above beach cruiser and that's the way I like it
    You have no idea how much I appreciate you saying this,really.Thank you.Houston,eh.....hmmm.

I teach RPM and non RPM classes.
    To answer the question about timing and the counts- a general rule is about 15 seconds for a 4X8 give or take. If it is a song 3, it will be a little closer to the 15 seconds for the 4X8 as the pace is slower than a song 6 speed work song where it may only be 10 seconds. The nice thing about the notes, you can use the real time on the left to calculate how much time each section is. It really is about listening to the music a lot and finding the musical cues (instruments, energy of song, quiet) for postion, pace or push changes.

5. Talking

b.c. kim,

It's true the more I listen, listen and listen along with practice, practice and more practice, it is just something you begin to feel. I can see where it starts to just come together after many releases. I am just fairly new to the RPM program so it is taking awhile. I play the song so much in the car driving my thirteen year old daughter rolls her eyes and says "Oh no, not again, Mother how many times can you possibly listen to this song".
    Jane

jane

Quote Originally Posted by xor999spin View Post
    b.c. kim,

It's true the more I listen, listen and listen along with practice, practice and more practice, it is just something you begin to feel. I can see where it starts to just come together after many releases. I am just fairly new to the RPM program so it is taking awhile. I play the song so much in the car driving my thirteen year old daughter rolls her eyes and says "Oh no, not again, Mother how many times can you possibly listen to this song".
    Jane

You daughter must be patience... we spend so many time a day...a week, a month...driving that it's a excelent place to training the beats count....

I do the same....!!

7. Default Rpm

I have done RPM at LM Quarterly Events, and although our club (where I am a BP instructor) does not license RPM, I still employ many of the RPM principles in my IC teaching. The idea of driving a workout with music has been an integral part of keeping IC classes fresh and exciting!

8. Default

Paul, you lost me at the the = sign.

A very simple and usually reliable way to figure time in an rpm class using the 8 counts is to know that 4 x 8 (that means four eight counts) is about equal to 15 seconds. Therefore, 8 x 8 would be approximately 30 seconds. These time references are more reliable in the tracks that include pace work (two, four, five sometimes, and six).

I'm surprised that your trainer didn't mention this.

thosknox

P.S. Oops! Just realized that I missed a page of replies and one is very similar to what I've just written. Great minds....

9. Default

When I first starting teaching RPM I swear dreamed the songs I'd listened to them so much. You'll get to a point where you don't have to as much soon

10. Default

It's been a few releases now and you are so right, it gets alot easier. Man those beginning releases were tough though.
    jane

11. Default

Loading a song into Virtual DJ will show you the BPM of it. It'll also allow you to change it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast