Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: vegetarian protein sources

Default vegetarian protein sources

...without shakes and bars, been there, done that.....i've eaten so many veggie burgers and egg white omelets and i'm bored and looking for suggestions!

2. Default

Check out credible sources like the American Dietetic Association (http://www.eatright.org/) and the Vegetarian Resource Group (http://www.eatright.org/).
    "I really do believe that all of you are at the beginning of a wonderful journey. As you start traveling down the road of life, remember this: There are never enough comfort stops. The places you're going to are never on the map. And once you get that map out, you won't be able to refold it no matter how smart you are. So forget the map, roll down the windows, and whenever you can, pull over and have a picnic with a pig. And if you can help it, never fly as cargo." - Kermit the Frog

Quote Originally Posted by cherylrachel View Post
    ...without shakes and bars, been there, done that.....i've eaten so many veggie burgers and egg white omelets and i'm bored and looking for suggestions!
    Are you asking because of personal conviction or a belief that veggie is somehow "better" (I ask because egg whites aren't exactly vegetarian)

There are a ton of vegetarian web sites/cook book recommendations on the Internet. For some odd reason I used to get Vegetarian Times delivered free to my office (I'm not vegetarian) and they had a web site with nice recipes
    http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/

Vivienne

4. Default

I'm not a vegetarian but I enjoy finding high protein veggies options.

Cottage Cheese & Greek Yogurt are surprisingly high in protein (amount varies but around 10-14 gram protein per half cup). Greek yogurt can be used to make tzatzike sauce (for dip or condiment) or used in place of sour cream for things like tacos.

You can also be creative -- Greek yogurt on a sweet potato with a mixture of black beans and tomatoes. Cottage cheese mixed with chickpeas and a fresh salsa on a bed of salad. These things might sound strange but they are surprisingly good.

Other veggie protein options are of course lentils, beans and grains like Quinoa. Lentil soup and veggie chilli with beans are great.

Quinoa might sound exotic, but it is about as easy to make as pasta. And also quite versatile.

Speaking of pasta, the Barilla plus pasta has a lot of protein in it also (from grain/legume flour which has lentils/chick peas etc).
    -Colleen

Quote Originally Posted by cherylrachel View Post
    Have you looked at Morningstar products in your freezer section? They have great veggie sausage, "chicken" burgers, etc.

I second (or is it third) black beans. They are a very nutrient dense food. Black beans and spinach are wonder foods IMO. I didn't eat meat for about 13 years and relied on beans, leafy greens and cottage cheese (now Greek yogurt).

Beans were good for me when I was vegetarian. Unfortunetly I became anemic and needed to start eating meat again. There is also a product called textured vegetable protein you can add to foods such as meatless chilis and soups.

8. Default

There is a surprising amount of protein that can be found in vegetables and grains. If you haven't tried Quinoa (a grain) try it. It has complete protein and the texture of cous cous. I eat it instead of rice, or hot cereal and make salads with it too. Just remember to buy pre-rinsed or rinse it yourself since it has a coating that can make it a little bitter.

If you think you need meat protein to gain or retain muscle, you don't. (When's the last time you saw a gorilla eating a steak?)

Nuts and seeds are great. I love LARABARs and Kind Bars.

***Disclaimer-- I am not getting paid to post this and have no affiliation with either company. I'm just a Registered Dietitian who loves delicious foods.***

Default No Meat Paleo

Here are some great tips for eating a no-meat paleo diet geared toward athletes...no affiliation, just get bored with "protein" options & try to keep variety up!

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-paleo-diet/

post to us if you find any great recipes yourself

11. Default

Second vote here for TVP (textured vegetable protein)--its quick to cook and you can sub it out for ground beef or ground turkey in most any recipe--I use it in crock pot chili a lot and have made mini 'meatloafs' with it also.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast