Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Music, Profiles, & Professional Development marked private?

1. Default

I agree with Sandy-- I also spend money to belong to the pro-site--quite frankly I don't think that people that don't necessarily have the time to post should be penalized from accessing the one of the best resources available. Some of us may not feel confident for security reasons, or maybe for confidence reasons to post. While I appreciate the intent of encouraging more interaction, I think pushing people to post is not appropriate either--locking people out is not a gentle nudge, but rather a "big stick" approach that may have unintended consequences.

2. Default

And... (have to get my five posts somehow) for new people this has always been an incredible resource to start building with--the knowledge base of seasoned instructors is incredible. I think the term "lurker" has a very negative connotation-I prefer admirer-maybe in the case of some worshipper

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sleadbetter View Post
    I agree with Sandy-- I also spend money to belong to the pro-site--quite frankly I don't think that people that don't necessarily have the time to post should be penalized from accessing the one of the best resources available. Some of us may not feel confident for security reasons, or maybe for confidence reasons to post. While I appreciate the intent of encouraging more interaction, I think pushing people to post is not appropriate either--locking people out is not a gentle nudge, but rather a "big stick" approach that may have unintended consequences.
    Thanks Sleadbetter,
    This long standing (but previously unenforced) policy is based on two specific beliefs about the people who visit here; everyone has the capability to contribute and a successful community needs everyone to contribute.

I have reviewed the list of registered users here at Pedal-On. ~70% have never contributed anything, zero posts, zero profiles, nothing Only 16% have created 10 or more posts. They are who make Pedal-On the resource that it is. We need more contributions, if only to express thanks, encouragement and support for those 16%.

Thumbs down

I think this policy is just flat out wrong.. I am a fairly new instructor, that started coming here to learn from those with more experience, I have posted a few times when I had something to say, or a question to ask, but the idea of posting just to post? Really.. Seriously, is that what you want? I started one thread, I have comented on one or two others, I have never posted a profile, because I have been teaching less than a year and I don't feel right about posting profiles YET, I am still learning.. But I am so bummed, to come to one of my favorite sites, and find out the welcome matt has been ripped out from under me.. Makes me sad

Julie

5. Default

oh, come on with this!! lurkers unite!

I looked and I have 7 posts.. This Makes 8, why can't I see the profiles?

gym_rat

gym_rat

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post

I have reviewed the list of registered users here at Pedal-On. ~70% have never contributed anything, zero posts, zero profiles, nothing Only 16% have created 10 or more posts. They are who make Pedal-On the resource that it is. We need more contributions, if only to express thanks, encouragement and support for those 16%.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how many people people sign up and lurk on a regular basis, but never post. IT is probably not an easy report to run since we don't' know if they are logged in or not.

While I hear and understand the points of not feeling comfortable to post, being too new to teaching, too shy, etc... I think this is an outstanding policy that fosters more participation. Yes you can bypass it by posting a handful of frivolous posts, but hopefully they are in the minority.

The site flourishes on the great exchange of information and the friendly banter that helps makes us all better instructors. Instead of having profile or music 'vulchers', this is a small requirement that at least attempts to get people involved. If it was easy to do, I would be all for more complex requirements such as you can only see the premium (yet free) content if you contribute x number of posts per time period (go ahead flame away).

I am happy most see the value in such a small post total being required.

8. Default

I am sorry some feel bullied into posting. As far as not having time or ideas, well, if everyone felt that way, there would be no Pedal-On. If you find worth in the site, I can't understand how post 5 times is asking too much (it used to be 10).

Another thought about the fear of posting profiles... I totally understand and I, too, take a gulp before sharing one. However, I will also say that I KNOW that by posting those early profiles and being open to critique, I learned a ton. The trick is using it as a learning experience and not having a thin skin. Most of us don't bite. Very hard.
    “euphoric fitness – a state where every fiber of your being is awake, aware, alive but within it all, you find calm."

Is there a way to know how many postings one has made? I checked my account and could not find that information. I know the number will come up when I post again. Thanks for the website.
    rubybike

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rubybike View Post
    Is there a way to know how many postings one has made? I checked my account and could not find that information. I know the number will come up when I post again. Thanks for the website.
    rubybike
    Look over at the right hand side of one of the posts you already made.
    “euphoric fitness – a state where every fiber of your being is awake, aware, alive but within it all, you find calm."

Default posting

I too have "lurked" for many years! It is time that I start contributing, and I will - thanks for the nudge.

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast