Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cycling in Vibram Fivefinger shoes

1. Default

I'm late to this post but have a question and possible further insight. Did the person wearing the Vibrams suggest that they had any benefit for indoor cycling? Did you or any attendee ask why she wore them?

For those who may not be familiar with them, Vibrams were originally invented as boating shoes, not for running. With the publication of Chris McDougall's Born to Run, barefoot running was promoted and the guy in the book who was the initial proponent struck a deal with Vibram to use them for running. The idea behind barefoot running and the minimalistic shoe trend it to promote a midfoot, rather than heel, foot strike. Studies have shown this can prevent injuries. Studies have also shown this doesn't prevent injuries. The jury is still out and they may be suitable for some runners and not others. As preposterous as it sounds to use them on an indoor (or any) bike, I'd be curious what benefit the person wearing them was touting. And, curious if she was hot. I'm not kidding.
    Bill Pierce
    Certifiably Insane
    Master Baiter

Quote Originally Posted by billpierce View Post
    As preposterous as it sounds to use them on an indoor (or any) bike, I'd be curious what benefit the person wearing them was touting.
    Supporting her sponsor?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd S View Post
    Supporting her sponsor?
    She gave a disclaimer that she was NOT representing Vibram or Schwinn, and she wanted us to observe her and give her any feedback. Then she turned the lights off, it was very dark, and the stage wasn't high enough to see her feet in any case. I mean, what would we be looking for? She was starting, stopping, standing for long periods of time while she was cueing/coaching (and not pedaling). I love being in my bare feet; I'm an ex-dancer and I have very strong, healthy feet, but as a previous poster put so succinctly: I wouldn't wear my toe shoes on my bike or for kickboxing. I did have a woman wearing toe shoes to my step class, but that'a a whole different story...and recreational drugs were involved (no, not me).

With the publication of Chris McDougall's Born to Run, barefoot running was promoted and the guy in the book who was the initial proponent struck a deal with Vibram to use them for running. .
    I always wondered about the sudden rash of pro-minimalist/Vibram type shoe ads cropping up shortly after this book started to appear on the cyber radar. Slick marketing masquerading as "organic growth", I guess.

So many people claim to have read this book and rave over it.....but I thought is was a bit of a snore myself. Marginally less boring that Gary Taubes's Good Calories, Bad Calories (which is another book a lot of folk claim to have read) but still not the life changer that the Vibram fans claim.

Vivienne

Quote Originally Posted by zoepup View Post
    Now, if I was presenting to a new group (ECA, WSSC, etc), I think I would have my playlist down pat and on all the above devices and a burned CD that was tested!
    Yup, that's what I do. I have an iPod and a Zune with my playlist on them and then a CD that is tested and tried befoer I even get on the plane.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by HMBgal View Post
    she wanted us to observe her and give her any feedback.
    So, did anyone tell her that she looked stupid yet hot?
    Bill Pierce
    Certifiably Insane
    Master Baiter

Some might say stupid is hot. Or more correctly, stupid better be hot or life will be tough.

So, did anyone tell her that she looked stupid yet hot?
    Bahahaha! No idea. I'm thinking that she probably took some heat from somebody or other, but maybe she's so hot she didn't feel it.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Todd S View Post
    Some might say stupid is hot. Or more correctly, stupid better be hot or life will be tough.

my favorite.. "stupid is as stupid does"

10. Default

Glad to hear it was not J.A.-I took my training from her and Jay and they both are very professional and always seem very aware that they are always representing Schwinn even when they're not teaching. I am curious as to who it was-there are a couple of MI's who are not my cup of tea.

So I made the error of forgetting to put my spin shoes for class today. I got to class in my favorite pair of Nike Free 3.0. My feet are killing me. And I did not even work very hard. I warned my students that I would not be riding at the prescribed intensity and that I would keep my own ride at a recovery level.

I did, however, learn a few things;
    1. Don't forget my IC shoes again.
    2. How the foot moves in the pedals when not in a supported shoe.
    a. the foot has a tendency to severely pronate.
    b. it is practically impossible to pull-up with the foot in the strap, so one is left with only pushing down.
    i. a lot of pedaling power is lost.
    ii. it really messes up your walking gait afterwards.
    3. My knees are tender.

How do people stand not using cycling shoes on indoor or outdoor bikes?
    Last edited by melboney; 06-24-2011 at 09:11 AM. Reason: typo

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast