Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cycling in Vibram Fivefinger shoes

You didn't happen to be at SCW were you? I was there too. I didn't go to a Schwinn session but did see the instructors so now I'm really curious...initials J.A?

Quote Originally Posted by HMBgal View Post
    I'm trying to be tactful and come off as a nice person. And this girl would be considered hot in a hippy-dippy way. Very slim, lithe, fit, and tiny. I'm 5'4" and a toned 125 lbs. and I feel like moose standing next to her.
    I hope everybody knows I was just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd S View Post
    I hope everybody knows I was just kidding.
    Ya know? It's your avatar; it just throws me so unless it's explaining, as you do so well, exercise science and stuff, I think you are a kidder.

Quote Originally Posted by lexerella View Post
    You didn't happen to be at SCW were you? I was there too. I didn't go to a Schwinn session but did see the instructors so now I'm really curious...initials J.A?
    Yes, at SCW in San Francisco, and no, not J.A. She was my trainer for my certification and I liked her very much. I like all of the people from whom I've taken classes, but I do get surprised once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by HMBgal View Post
    Yes, at SCW in San Francisco, and no, not J.A. She was my trainer for my certification and I liked her very much. I like all of the people from whom I've taken classes, but I do get surprised once in awhile.
    I would have been shocked if it was J.A. She's definitely highly regarded. It was a fun conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Funhog View Post
    You could not put much power into the pedal stroke, and you couldn't pull the toe straps tight, so you couldn't do anything but push down, and you couldn't really stand effectively....

Not to mention that it wouldn't feel very good.

Stupidity at its height.

Knowing how grim it feels having to go back to sneakers sometimes if a gym doesn't have clipless pedals, it makes me wonder what sort of dunderhead could be advocating these Vibram things for bike riding.

Even for running, the marketing hype is getting a bit over the top but bike riding? You'd think someone representing the company would at least have the gumption to know when not to be pushing the things.......

I fancy we're going to be seeing enough "barefoot running" related injuries before the craze settles down a bit without speeding things along with a serious dose of TEH STOOPID™

Vivienne

7. Default

My feet were hurting last night while teaching just THINKING about wearing those shoes.

As for being an instructor and not having a backup plan. That is stupendous! I have backs plans for all my classes (2 iPods, 1 iPhone, 1 Droid and CD's). Something will work.

Now, if I was presenting to a new group (ECA, WSSC, etc), I think I would have my playlist down pat and on all the above devices and a burned CD that was tested!

Quote Originally Posted by zoepup View Post
    My feet were hurting last night while teaching just THINKING about wearing those shoes.

As for being an instructor and not having a backup plan. That is stupendous! I have backs plans for all my classes (2 iPods, 1 iPhone, 1 Droid and CD's). Something will work.

Now, if I was presenting to a new group (ECA, WSSC, etc), I think I would have my playlist down pat and on all the above devices and a burned CD that was tested!
    Sounds like you're pretty laid back to me, zoepup....

Thing is that folk who don't really understand what goes into providing an incident-free sort of service, don't understand........really.

Back in my pre-Trophy Wife™ days, when I was doing the drilling, filling and billing thing, my office manager would often opine that she couldn't understand why I sat and fretted (i.e.....thought about) stuff that I had to do because everything always worked out OK. I could never get her to understand that she had the cause and effect thang the wrong way round.

I should add that this was someone who constantly double-checked herself but apparently couldn't recognise the fail-safe in a different context.

Vivienne

Quote Originally Posted by markelmarcel View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more, Vivienne. In fact, I just cannot do it without cycling shoes anymore. Does not happen.
    I also agree. Maybe that presenter had SPD clips attached to her Vibrams!

IMHO it's the right shoe for the right activity. Are you going to wear cleats to take a kickbox class? Are you going to wear flippers for yoga?

I would contend the danger in not having your feet properly supported for the activity in question.
    Cycle Happy!
    EuroD
    Cycle Instructor Emeritus
    Star 3 Spinning Instructor
    Schwinn Certified Cycle Instructor
    AFAA Primary Certification
    Spotify

11. Default

Not to hijack the thread here, but I also attended a recent SCW in which the presenter wore sneakers while riding. She says she does this with her intro rides/riders so she can be sort of - "one of them" without intimidating (ie,the newer folks won't have cycle shoes right away and don't want to drive them away). While I guess this is one approach, personally I don't trust an instructor that doesn't have cycle shoes on (unless they've unfortunately left them elsewhere, lost one, etc.). Just my $.02.
    "I really do believe that all of you are at the beginning of a wonderful journey. As you start traveling down the road of life, remember this: There are never enough comfort stops. The places you're going to are never on the map. And once you get that map out, you won't be able to refold it no matter how smart you are. So forget the map, roll down the windows, and whenever you can, pull over and have a picnic with a pig. And if you can help it, never fly as cargo." - Kermit the Frog

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast