Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycling in Vibram Fivefinger shoes

Default Cycling in Vibram Fivefinger shoes

Yep. I was at an educational conference and the PRESENTER was cycling in these shoes. She did announce to the packed room that she represented Vibram, but that she wasn't during this presentation, and she's also a Schwinn presenter/master instructor, but she wasn't representing Schwinn while she was sitting on her bike leading a class for us to learn from, earn CECs, etc. Okay. Does anyone else think this is kind of weird? I know it's all about barefoot these days, but this just seems a bit over the top. The pedals weren't modified, and I know she has strong feet, but, it just didn't feel like the right time or place to me.

2. Default

Seems like it would hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by 15inchbrick View Post
    Seems like it would hurt!
    I should think so. Might be a good way to get people to stay in the saddle, eh? Even then...I just don't think the human foot has enough padding to sustain much power on a hard pedal for very long without numbness, nerve damage, etc.
    Last edited by HMBgal; 03-28-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Obviously a conflict of interest.

You could not put much power into the pedal stroke, and you couldn't pull the toe straps tight, so you couldn't do anything but push down, and you couldn't really stand effectively....

Not to mention that it wouldn't feel very good.

Stupidity at its height.

Quote Originally Posted by HMBgal View Post
    Yep. I was at an educational conference and the PRESENTER was cycling in these shoes. She did announce to the packed room that she represented Vibram, but that she wasn't during this presentation, and she's also a Schwinn presenter/master instructor, but she wasn't representing Schwinn while she was sitting on her bike leading a class for us to learn from, earn CECs, etc. Okay. Does anyone else think this is kind of weird? I know it's all about barefoot these days, but this just seems a bit over the top. The pedals weren't modified, and I know she has strong feet, but, it just didn't feel like the right time or place to me.
    So she's not real bright...

Was she hot?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd S View Post
    So she's not real bright...

Was she hot?
    And so, to the heart of the issue... evidence please.

Quote Originally Posted by cafehead View Post
    And so, to the heart of the issue... evidence please.
    I'm not the right person to ask if she's "hot," but she is well known in the Schwinn cycling world. She is a very sweet person and I like many of her ideas and ways of doing things, but have to say that I didn't enjoy this session all that much. She also used spoken word during a recovery, which is an interesting idea, but the quality wasn't good, so you couldn't understand what the person was saying. She had everyone stop pedaling so we could hear it. We had just finished a fairly intense piece and I didn't really feel like stopping at that point; it was interesting. Then another presenter, a pretty famous person, had technical issues with her iPop that kept shuffling and she couldn't figure out to fix it, so that ride was all over the place and she was clearly discombobulated. I don't expect perfection and everyone has an off day, but I do tend to hold presenters to a higher standard, I guess.

Ugh. I had a new participant (guy who I'd seen in the weight room a lot) wear those to his first cycle class with me. I told him it was a BAD idea. I'm pretty surprised that a presenter would do that.

Default You are so professional! Let me translate...

Quote Originally Posted by HMBgal View Post
    I'm not the right person to ask if she's "hot," but she is well known in the Schwinn cycling world. She is a very sweet person and I like many of her ideas and ways of doing things, but have to say that I didn't enjoy this session all that much. She also used spoken word during a recovery, which is an interesting idea, but the quality wasn't good, so you couldn't understand what the person was saying. She had everyone stop pedaling so we could hear it. We had just finished a fairly intense piece and I didn't really feel like stopping at that point; it was interesting. Then another presenter, a pretty famous person, had technical issues with her iPop that kept shuffling and she couldn't figure out to fix it, so that ride was all over the place and she was clearly discombobulated. I don't expect perfection and everyone has an off day, but I do tend to hold presenters to a higher standard, I guess.
    OK - I'll translate. First, as a bloke I can still tell that from time to time, Brad Pitt is indeed 'hot'.
    She is well known (not hot)
    She is sweet (not hot)
    ...is an interesting idea (failed)
    I don't expect perfection (but that wasn't even close)
    Couldn't turn shuffle off (haha haha fail...)

Fair enough. Presenters have one thing they are meant to do well. Present! Managing your tools is key. Things break down. Stars have back ups. Mortals struggle. Let's give her a break?

Maybe.

Clearly she's not hot enough to overcome these shortcomings in the poster's view.

I personally have to work twice as hard to win over a crowd due to my physical shortcomings in the "looks like Bard Pitt" department. I feel for her.

Quote Originally Posted by cafehead View Post
    OK - I'll translate. First, as a bloke I can still tell that from time to time, Brad Pitt is indeed 'hot'.
    She is well known (not hot)
    She is sweet (not hot)
    ...is an interesting idea (failed)
    I don't expect perfection (but that wasn't even close)
    Couldn't turn shuffle off (haha haha fail...)

Fair enough. Presenters have one thing they are meant to do well. Present! Managing your tools is key. Things break down. Stars have back ups. Mortals struggle. Let's give her a break?

Maybe.

Clearly she's not hot enough to overcome these shortcomings in the poster's view.

I personally have to work twice as hard to win over a crowd due to my physical shortcomings in the "looks like Bard Pitt" department. I feel for her.
    I'm trying to be tactful and come off as a nice person. And this girl would be considered hot in a hippy-dippy way. Very slim, lithe, fit, and tiny. I'm 5'4" and a toned 125 lbs. and I feel like moose standing next to her.

I always carry back-up CDs, extra everything in case something goes wrong. I, too, was surprised this other presenter couldn't figure out her iPod. My Nano was getting goofy as it got really full, but that's what back-ups are for (and big, fat iPod Classics). As my mother always told me as I was going out on a date: be ready for anything. Bring your roller skates with you in case you need to get home on your own. Mom was always right.
    Last edited by HMBgal; 03-29-2011 at 12:15 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast