Thread: severe maintenance problems

Scottsdale, Arizona (yep, it is HOT here)

Default severe maintenance problems

Hi! I work at a private resort club that has the old Revmasters (Yellow) and I really don't think they have 'EVER' been maintained properly. Now we are having all sorts of issues and management is really dragging their heels on getting anything done. "so and so is on it, looking into it, researching it"...well, so and so has 10 jobs other than this and this problem falls WAY down on the list of priorities. So....I am so fed up that I wanted to start my own research. I have already provided management with the name/website for replacement parts but need to get info regarding a tech to come out and rebuild all the bikes ( I am sure they need it). Do run of the mill exercise equipment techs do spin bikes as well and what is the avg cost? We have 12 bikes currently and I would think 2 (maybe) work perfectly. ugh. The one I rode for a 90 min class the other day clanged/banged/made all sorts of racket - coming from the cranks or inside. very frusterating. Thanks for any advice!

2. Default

Some background info.

we had 30 old Schwinn bikes that were maintained (but not frequently enough). We replaced half of them with new Spinners and I bought the service manuals for both bikes. I had a good background in bike repair. We expected we would have to replace the old Schwinns in 6 months (money was the reason we did two waves). Two years later the old Schwinns are still running and the new bikes still run like new.

Why do I say this? Spin bikes are like cars. They need routine maintenance. I took a guy at the gym who was handy and taught him the simple stuff. He keeps to the routine plan on a steady schedule. While this has removed money from my pocket, it has made the program more attractive to members. I would say on average if I did all the work I would bill $300-$500 per month (not including parts). This will change based on the mix and age of bikes you have. All facilities should budget for this. It does keep and attract new members.

As you can see above, we were able to prolong the life of 15 bikes by putting in proper maintenance. Now that is a money saver!

Scottsdale, Arizona (yep, it is HOT here)

I had a staff mtg today and discussed the issue more with my director. Basically...management doesn't think this issue "is of importance right now" and doesn't see the need to do major maintenance. Supposedly.....they had someone out there to fix the bikes, but they are all doing the same thing as before and I see no improvement.
    I told her to have the management lady call ME so I can explain things and maybe get the idea into her head that this NEEDS to happen before anyone gets hurt. grrrrr. I feel sorry for my director because her hands are tied and she has tried to get this taken care of several times and it always ends with nothing being done.
    I am going to call around and get some quotes from fitness equipment companies and see what I can come up with. Has to be better than what is going on right now. sigh...

4. Default

You can also try a local bike shop for quotes. OK, I had a pedal shear off at the spindle with a rider at one gym, and a chain break/fall off at my other gym... same week... ugh. Lucky neither was seriously hurt. I know enough to diagnosis problems, but not quiet to fix. Plus, my hand strength is so weak. Just had to suck it up and take my roadie into the shop after much bleeding knuckles at home wrenching double ugh. Parts are not cheap for sure. But, as posted already if someone would really put a PM plan in place things can work a lot longer with some tlc. Totally understand your frustration. We have a "bike graveyard" at both my gyms. It's winter, packed, and I've been turning aways peeps, teaching class off the bike giving mine up to last student... with the graveyard bikes sitting empty in class. Sux.

5. Default

Why does it seem IDC equipment seems to get the short end of the stick? Maybe more comparisons to equipment that does receive more notice. For Example, if a treadmill belt was skipping would they fix it? If an elliptical was grinding and squeaking, would they fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by zoepup View Post
    Why does it seem IDC equipment seems to get the short end of the stick? Maybe more comparisons to equipment that does receive more notice. For Example, if a treadmill belt was skipping would they fix it? If an elliptical was grinding and squeaking, would they fix it?
    Probably not.....if no-one complained. If, say, the person on the next treadmill or elliptical willingly gave up their treadmill or elliptical then there wouldn't really be anything for management to take note of.......until there were no functioning treadmills or ellipticals in the place and members had all gone somewhere else for their "cardio" workouts.

Apparently that doesn't happen in IDC. IDC instructors give up their bikes (unlike what the peeps on the next treadmill or elliptical would be prepared to do)

Vivienne