Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Music at LA Fitness

1. Default

Raindrop, Spingirl and others,

I do not teach at LA Fitness but they just opened one near where I live. Just wondering how management expects cycle instructors to teach with pre-set CD's. I design ALL my ride profiles first and than select my music. My music choices will vary depending on length, BPM, recovery, theme etc. I never teach with one song one drill, how do you work around this? Do you take the CD home and design the profile, I am a little confused.

Scottsdale, Arizona (yep, it is HOT here)

Quote Originally Posted by hally View Post
    Raindrop, Spingirl and others,

I do not teach at LA Fitness but they just opened one near where I live. Just wondering how management expects cycle instructors to teach with pre-set CD's. I design ALL my ride profiles first and than select my music. My music choices will vary depending on length, BPM, recovery, theme etc. I never teach with one song one drill, how do you work around this? Do you take the CD home and design the profile, I am a little confused.
    ummm, I don't work around it...I just don't use them. I'm like you, I create my profile FIRST and then match music to it. I did take a couple of the cd's home one time (shhh, don't tell) and found 1 useable song on one and NONE on another.
    I don't think many group fitness managers understand the difference between a step/body conditioning class and spin/cycle class. Cycle classes are unique and have the ability to give a person an experience, vs. just a workout. The connection between the work you are doing, your breathing and the beat/sound of the music can take you to a place much more meaningful = time flies and not only do you get a great workout, you did something you want to do again. I think the connection between us and our participants is underrated. I specifically know my audience, know what types of music they like, they don't like and where I can push the envelope. I teach a class where they LOVE 60s/70's classic rock...so when I teach there, I use a lot of that stuff along with some interesting tracks I think they'll like. At another location, they enjoy more top 40, current hits, so I mix those in as well. How can you do this with a cd that you randomly pick from a collection - ON THE FLY and with no preparation? Maybe for some it isn't as BIG as I make it seem here, but for me it is. I also make a new playlist for each class I teach (or tweak old ones with new tracks)...so my classes are not stale. We've all taken classes where the instructor teaches to the same 4 cds...UGH! What happens if the instructor that taught the day before used the same cd I want to use - BORING! I know you are able to request your own mixes, but again, the prices are EXPENSIVE and don't know about you all, but I dont' get paid enough at LAFit to keep buying new cd after new cd...even if they reimburse me at a later date - and are they REALLY going to reimburse me for a 25 dollar cd...every week???
    sorry, kinda venting so I'll stop. For me, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing and see what happens. While I enjoy teaching at LAFit for the close proximity to my house and the members, I don't have a problem leaving if it is a do this or leave ultimatum.
    For those that have been using the system, kuddos to you! I just can't!

for the record...I used to teach step and a sports conditioning class...and always used the Powermix tapes (lol) we had...it worked fine and I liked the continuous 32 count to keep count with choreography. Cycle classes are a completely different animal...IMO.
    Last edited by spinrgirl; 01-20-2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: added something

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I'm curious why you see this as; Ridiculous, childish and unprofessional on the coordinator's part Raindrop.

Wouldn't your coordinator would be held accountable if it became known that she knowingly chose to ignore LA's policy?

Don't miss my point here; I too think it's very short sighted to think you are saving money buy not having to pay the commercial licenses necessary for Instructor's to play their own choice of music.

I'm a big fan of the show Kitchen Nightmares because there are so many similarities between running a restaurant and a fitness studio. Many of the troubled restaurants featured have chosen to go cheap; use frozen vs. fresh produce, don't pay much, ignore cleanliness/maintenance, etc... in an attempt to save money. The only trouble is that they end up staring at empty tables because then their food is terrible, the help is pissed off and the place smells.

Unfortunately only the people who are working directly with the customer (wait staff and Instructors) see the negative results of management's decisions.
    The reason I said the coordinator was childish and unproffessional is because they removed the IPOD connection which meant having to use the crappy music on the even worse stereo system.

I truly enjoyed the people I met during the five years I taught at LAF, but that is the last time I'd ever work for a big-box gym. I've been more than content now that I no longer work there. Quality is what I strove for and I for one, wasn't willing to compromise. However, since I've been gone I've also heard that none of the currect cycle instructors use the canned LAF music at the facility I left and what's more, they've never received new CDs.

4. Default

Thank god for power bikes in this gym. It keeps the numbers and the coach as being the motivator and not somuch the music. I have been allowed to buy other music from the canned music label to put together rides and mix them. Has anyone else been allowed to do that?
    M

This I agree with M! I find that when there are other 'distractions' it is easier to get away with different music. I teach at a studio that has CycleOps bikes with Power meters and they are AWESOME! While I know that the music I choose makes a difference, I don't have to worry as much because the participants are focused on their numbers/cadence/watts. At this studio we cater to mostly cyclists/triathletes that don't need the music as motivation to get the most out of their workout...they know how hard they need to work and they do what they have to do, no matter what is playing in the background. BUT, just this weekend I taught a class there to a couple that commented at how they liked my music and how it matched the profile we were doing and it motivated them- so they noticed it.
    IMO, the general crowd at LAFit want a good workout, maybe a challenge and to have time go fast while having a good time. We don't have power meters on our Keisers - boo - so I use music to motivate and inspire. While my classes aren't a "party on a bike" (like another studio in town :-), I feel I'm trying my best to give them an effective, motivating and hopefully fun class - with my coaching AND music selection.
    How do you create the mixes, how long does it take to create ( do you send away for it or burn it at home) and how do you get reimbursed ? How often do you recreate your cd's/profiles? Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spinrgirl View Post
    ...I don't think many group fitness managers understand the difference between a step/body conditioning class and spin/cycle class....
    In step, conditioning, etc. classes there are dozens, maybe hundreds, of different exercises and combinations that can be done to each 32-count block. In cycling there's at most a half-dozen different positions. The class can't help but notice the music more in a cycling class, and will tire of the same playlist a lot sooner than they would in other classes. So if a club is going to supply their instructors with music, there needs to be a much bigger selection for cycling. Something most of us probably know, but worth mentioning to anyone unaware of it.

7. Default

I feel your pain believe me.I buy and mix at home. They have sales on muisc and I try and get in on the deals. Mix Meister is the software I use. I put the mix on my Ipod and up load it to the Icloud so I can change with the types of class that may show up. BUT! I also make a CD mix in the case that I have a gym to work at that have removed their RCA jacks. I only teach twice a week at LA and have a power class and a blind mouse class. So the ability to mix the canned music has been helpful but its not the best I can do. I wonder whom thinks this is a good idea for cycling and I don't believe the music rights thing at all- since the music that they play on the floor and in the locker rooms are all cutting edge stuff by original artists. Hummmm some one is getting extra dough for this.....
    Mike
    Oh yah! I have more mixes then they do in the box up front. I try and make a new mix every 2 weeks. One side note: did you notice that they are allowing us to get paid for other activities that include extra set up time.I cant even understand how it all works, no ever shows us. If I push yes for the question "did you work contributing time" I get lost on what we can claim and not. 24 hr Fit pays for creating our music - 24 hr is a great place to work check them out if you can.
    Last edited by Megale; 01-22-2013 at 11:12 AM.

8. Default

LA Fitness provided an indoor cycling class for continuing education credit several months ago. I needed a few more hours for my AFFA cert so I took the class. One of the regional coordinators started with the company policy about music and announced that as a corporate policy any replacement sound systems would not be ipod compatible. I find it hard to believe, but dread the day that happens...

Quote Originally Posted by cahill_es View Post
    LA Fitness provided an indoor cycling class for continuing education credit several months ago. I needed a few more hours for my AFFA cert so I took the class. One of the regional coordinators started with the company policy about music and announced that as a corporate policy any replacement sound systems would not be ipod compatible. I find it hard to believe, but dread the day that happens...
    maybe they will install record players :-)

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by spinrgirl View Post
    maybe they will install record players :-)
    Don't say it too loudly. Vinyl is making a comeback. And if played frequently enough, the wear 'n' tear might degrade the quality enough so that new music (a new LP) needs to started.
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213