PDA

View Full Version : Thinking ahead

Vivienne
12-02-2010, 05:20 AM
Looking for trouble shooting advice , if there's any going....

So, on my audition yesterday, the cadence didn't show on the GFD's bike. It wasn't a problem for her as she didn't take IDC classes and I don't think she saw the significance but it might become one for me if this happens while I'm teaching. Since these bikes look pretty new, it also irks me that something's broke.

I'm wondering about handling stuff with the screen.....numbers not showing etc. In this instance, it was only the cadence readout that was faulty......everything else seemed to work OK.

Vivienne

RaffCycles
12-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Vivienne,

I'm going to take two different approaches to this. The first approach is to know that you cannot control what happens to the bikes. Encourage your students to report any malfunctions so you can communicate them to your director. Since your director was there for your audition and she experienced this first hand, you'll already have a sympathetic ear to any maintenance issues.

Secondly, you will be challenged to rely upon your indoor cycling training, teach like each bike doesn't have a functioning computer and for those that do, give them the targets. I view this as a similar to coaching a class where only a handful of riders have a heart rate monitor. Prepare your coaching cues to accurately describe the effort in terms of perceived exertion, heart rate response, and cadence. Like most of us, I'm sure you were trained to coach indoor cycling before the introduction of power, so rely on that training and give the best class you already know how to give without relying on a computer display.

Todd S
12-02-2010, 10:36 AM
I second what Raff said...

No matter what type of bike you're on, I don't think it's best to teach "by the numbers". I believe it's best to ride by perceived intensity and the numbers are to be 'descriptive', not 'prescriptive'. The numbers should simply confirm what you feel. Experienced riders should be able to cover up their computer display during their ride and still have summary numbers at the end very close to what they expect given the chosen intensity of their ride.

RaffCycles
12-02-2010, 11:12 AM
I second what Raff said...

No matter what type of bike you're on, I don't think it's best to teach "by the numbers". I believe it's best to ride by perceived intensity and the numbers are to be 'descriptive', not 'prescriptive'. The numbers should simply confirm what you feel. Experienced riders should be able to cover up their computer display during their ride and still have summary numbers at the end very close to what they expect given the chosen intensity of their ride.

When I race outside, I record my results on my Garmin GPS and don't worry about the specific number(s). If I "listened" to the numbers, I'd get dropped from the pack almost immediately.

Vivienne
12-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of fixing broken equipment, rather than how to teach without the benefit of a set of numbers (seeing as that's what I've been doing up till now, anyways)

If not exactly "fixing".....since I'm happy to leave the maintenance to someone else.....at least knowing whether pressing a button or jiggling something will make it work or whether the fixing is outside of what I could be expected to know about.

A bit like the sound system. I can certainly teach without music.....have done many times....but if all I have to do to make an apparently non-functioning sound system work is to press a particular button that I didn't know about or jiggle a loose connection, I'd sooner do that.

Sometimes a question is exactly what it seems to be.

Vivienne

Megale
12-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Viv try allowing the bike sit and turn off. Then start peddaling again and see if it reads the censores again.
Mike

GoogooSpin
12-02-2010, 01:19 PM
What kind of bike and computer?

We have NXTs with computers and in the last six months almost all of them have died. Startrak is giving us the run around and supposedly all the computers are on back order from Garmin. We have been waiting 6 months and the members have become disgusted by the whole deal. We finally had to get an explantion from Star Trak, on their letter head explaining the back order problem, so that the members would understand that we are doing everything in our power to replace them. The last I heard we are expecting them after december. I am not holding my breath.

The computers are great to have and the members really like the feedback of seeing their cadence but until then we can only use RPE (most riders don't wear HRMs).

Todd S
12-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of fixing broken equipment, ....

I'm only guessing as I'm not familiar with these bikes, but usually with a cadence sensor there's a magnet somewhere on the crank that has to pass near a sensor. That's the best I can do without seeing the problem.

Lisa
12-02-2010, 09:25 PM
We also have computers on the new Schwinn bikes. There is an indicator that shows when the battery is low. The trouble is, this computer has a few batteries and a sensor, so it is hard to determine which needs fixing. I jot down the bike # and problem in a maintenance log so that the experts can fix it. They know whether it is a calibration issue etc.
Almost always there is one feature (watts, heart rate, or rpm) that is not working. Believe me, I get an earful from the members. :(

Vivienne
12-03-2010, 08:10 AM
We also have computers on the new Schwinn bikes. There is an indicator that shows when the battery is low. The trouble is, this computer has a few batteries and a sensor, so it is hard to determine which needs fixing. I jot down the bike # and problem in a maintenance log so that the experts can fix it. They know whether it is a calibration issue etc.
Almost always there is one feature (watts, heart rate, or rpm) that is not working. Believe me, I get an earful from the members. :(

Well, that's my main motivation for thinking ahead, Lisa......been there, done that umpteen times in the past.

During the e-mail back and forth with the GFD, I mentioned that she might want to look into it, if she remembered which bike she'd used. Turns out that she had and they do have a mainentance person who is familiar with these bikes......and she thanked me for remembering.

Wondering now if that bike was a "plant" to see how I'd handle it.

Overthinking everything of late.

Vivienne