PDA

View Full Version : Knee replacement

DoctorD13
07-01-2010, 02:20 PM
The years of running & standing at work have caught up with me and I have having my right knee replaced next month. have any of you had this surgery
& how did affect you in class? Have any had members who have had this done?
Paul Schwartzmyer

sue
07-01-2010, 09:18 PM
One of the instr. at my gym had hers replaced, it took a while but she went back to teaching. My mom had it done several yrs. ago & she said it was the best thing she ever did. The one thing you will need is patience & if you are anything like me that is hard. You want to go back to working out & feel you can. Please listen to your Dr. I am on my 3rd shoulder surgery in 15 mos. If this doesn't work I have to have shoulder replacement. Believe you me I am doing everything they say as I don't want to have to go through that. The first week will be hard , gets lots of books & movies. You will be surprised how good you will feel, not like the old days. Good luck to you, keep your spirits up. Sue

amybatt
07-02-2010, 07:32 AM
Paul, my mother had both replaced a year apart. The first one was such an almost-immediate relief she signed on to have the second one done as soon as she could. She said the post-surgery pain and suffering was nothing compared to what it was before. She firmly believes that strict adherence to the physical therapy protocol, doing it even when it really hurt or didn't make sense to, is what got her back on her feet fast.

She wasn't at all athletic, so I have no idea what timing would be as far as returning to cycling/training.

The only thing that bothers her now is the suspectibility to infection. She can't have any other procedures, no matter how minor (dental cleaning, mole removal) without massive doses of prophylactic antibiotics.

Good luck! PM me here or on FB if you want me to put you in touch with Mom.

Pink
07-02-2010, 07:56 AM
I don't have any personal experiences to share, Paul, but I wanted to offer you good luck. I do have one rider who started spinning well after she was recovered from 2 replacements. She has no problems and you'd never know if you watched her ride. She has said that she wished she had done it sooner and eliminated years of pain. Again, best of luck!

markelmarcel
07-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Good luck, Paul! My mom had her knee replaced about 12-13 years ago. She had to have it bone graphed because there was nothing left to the joint. Although she has great bend, she never did get the pain relief she wanted... She needs it re-replaced and the other knee replaced but is hesitant because of her first experience. However, my aunt had her knee replaced about 2 years ago and has absolutely no pain! I think things are a lot different now than they were even 10 years ago!

Funhog
07-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Wishing you good luck as well. From what I've heard the changes in just the past few years have made the procedure much more successful with less pain and quicker recoveries. Kala's mom's and aunt's vastly different experiences seem to attest to that.

Let us know how you progress and recover. Will you still be teaching, off the bike for awhile perhaps? Or waiting until you can use cycling as PT?

DoctorD13
07-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Jennifer, can't teach OTB. Friend of mine had a partial hip, taught one Community Ed class (not Spin) by walking the students through. I think she might have done it from a wheelchair. Disability found out & she lost a whole week's $$ for one class. I'll get my regular pharmacist paycheck while I am out & can't risk loosing big bucks for squat.
Paul Schwartzmyer

Moot
07-05-2010, 09:02 PM
I also would like to wish you all the best with the knee replacement.

I hope operation goes well and wish you a quick and pleasant recovery.

Please let us know how things go

Moot

Megale
07-07-2010, 09:47 AM
I hope that it is one of mine. :) I design for casting many of the ones used today.We build patient matched ones that are created of CT scans as well as production sized (like shoes) versions. Our own Mat Saratan is "running" around with one of the hip replacement pieces that our company has manufactured. It is simply amazing the amount of research that goes into making them better every day and thats just around here.
Best in all
Mike

EuroD
07-07-2010, 12:01 PM
One of my participants had BOTH knees replaced in June of last year. He was back on the bike within 3 weeks, just doing what his Physical Therapist advised. He was back in my class within 5 weeks. He is in his mid-fifties and was fit. Just recently he completed the MS150 and is definitely back in the saddle.

Good luck to you Paul!

DoctorD13
07-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Oh, Thank you Euro! my doc, my PT, every one gives me different return to actions dates. I want to be able to drive ASAP so I can get back to the gym & do that I can do there. I'll ride seated for 45-60 if I have to, pilates with one leg if I have do & not teach till I can get back to work & not loose disability but I can't sit in my house & clean or cook Bull!
Paul Schwartzmyer

CycleGuy
07-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Oh, Thank you Euro! my doc, my PT, every one gives me different return to actions dates. I want to be able to drive ASAP so I can get back to the gym & do that I can do there. I'll ride seated for 45-60 if I have to, pilates with one leg if I have do & not teach till I can get back to work & not loose disability but I can't sit in my house & clean or cook Bull!
Paul Schwartzmyer

That drive & determination, along with your general good fitness, will go a long way to a speedy recovery.

Be aggressive, but smart about exercising post-surgery. Don't let conventional 'wisdom' for replacements be your guide - let your body and what you know about your body guide you. That is probably one reason why you are getting such a wide range of return to action dates.

If you can line up your support/re-hab people as possible and get them knowing you and what your goals are.

24 hours after having my hip replaced, I surprised the physical therapist in the hospital who was showing me how to use crutches when I pointed out the stairs and said was going to use them. I was released the next morning.

I was walking without a crutches, using a cane at two weeks. I got 'caught' driving at 2.5 weeks - wife was out of town, she called me at home, no response so called me on my cell worried & asked where I was...I had to explain...

I was in the water exercising as soon as my family doctor would let me (staples removed and enough healing to be safe). That wait was the hardest for me.

At seven weeks, I had given up the cane and as at the surgeon's office for a check-up. There were people there (overweight, unfit, unhealthy, not much older than me) 9-10 weeks post-surgery who were still on crutches, complaining of their pain and slow recovery.

Do your best to keep the muscles that support and work the knee as strong and as supple as possible. I shocked many when I went looking for pre-hab exercises. Most just told me to wait until after the surgery to worry about re-hab.

Devante
10-18-2011, 05:46 AM
Hmmm hey "sue" u got the very good experience of replacement i had very bad experience in front of house a person had replaced but after one month start paining and day by day it increased after that he replaced it again......

corkieraven
11-06-2011, 11:26 PM
By the time you read this you should be back in the saddle. My wife, a 7 yr spin instructor, had both her knees replaced at the same time. Shw woukd tell anyone who asks that the rehab / physical therapy is the hardest part. You must work through the pain to get good range of motion. Hope you are doing well.