PDA

View Full Version : Help! My knees hurt!

Slanders
07-14-2005, 08:28 AM
I'm looking to find out if anyone knows what causes pain in the area right above the knee cap on the leg. I'm looking for information about how to fix it, both medically and spinningly. Is there something wrong with my bike or body position when I spin? What do you do for pain like this to get it to heal? Thanks for any information you can give me. I've been spinning for 2 years and it's something that seemed to sneak up on me. Now I'm having problems walking stairs.

Sheryl

spinguru
07-14-2005, 08:47 AM
Before you attempt to fix your knee problems on a forum or in the spin room, please do yourself a huge favor and have your pain evaluated by a sports medicine doctor. I know it's something we hate to do, but your pain could be caused by something as simple as an adjustment in your bike seat height to something more serious. If you did not injure yourself in a specific accident, you could have a wear and tear issue going on, which can be helped by a good physical therapist. The key to getting better is to understand exactly what the problem you're dealing with is.

If, however, you're sure it's a bike-related problem, you could have your bike fit checked out by someone you trust to know what they're doing.

You have my sympathy -- I understand your pain, literally. I have a serious wear and tear problem in my right knee -- I'm down to bone on bone. Arthroscopic surgery to clean up the knee, physical therapy and careful attention to my form on the bike and off have given me a lot of relief, but I live with pain ranging from mild discomfort to full blown need something for this right now pain. Eventually, I'll need to have my knee replaced, but I'm in my mid-forties and really feel like I'm too young yet for that.

Good luck -- I hope you find out what's going on and get some relief.

GeoLes
01-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Hi.

Geo here. New to the forum. This is my second post. I am a roadie who mounts his bike on a trainer in the Winter months. I don't know your exact situation, but I have had similar experiences on the road. Here's my 2-cent worth (If it's worth even that much)

Once you have eliminated bike fit, and physiological factors, there are a few options to look at.

I had knee pain when I began cycling. In fact, my knees used to creak whenever I climbed the stairs. But I got rid of the problem. In retrospect, I did a few things to get rid of the pain (any one of them may have done it, while the others may just be palcebos. I began to stretch and warmup before a ride. I also learned to downshift and "spin" faster. I also switched from a pedal with no float (mountin-type STP - the litlle key type cleat) to one with unlimited float (SpeedPlay X2), I also began taking Glulcosmine Condroitis (spellilng?).

Also, the core-fitness trainer at my gym says that a good soak in a hot bath with "raw cider vinegar" - Available at your "health food store" does wonders for bad knees and sore muscles for that matter. Don't forget the old-fashioned baking soda bath. (My grandmother was right all along.)

I hope I helped.
Granted, I was riding on the road, not on indoors, but I think it still applies.

megale3
01-13-2006, 04:25 PM
[QUOTE=GeoLes]Also, the core-fitness trainer at my gym says that a good soak in a hot bath with "raw cider vinegar" - QUOTE]
Ewwww I bet the smells good afterward -it has to work its just to crazy not too
M

Viking
01-14-2006, 09:34 PM
You should find a good sports medicine ortho doctor. There may be some PT to strength the muscles around the knee to help you.

If you ride a bike in addition to spin class, have someone very good at bike fit check you position, explain your knee problems. This person may be able to give you help setting up the spin bike also.

Each winter I develop shooting knee pain in just my left knee during spin class - some is from my hip surgery the rest is from position on the spin bike. I just can't tune it in as well as my road bike.

Good Luck!

Viking
01-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Forgot this little hint -- sorry it's my age....

if none of the above advise works - try brandy and water :)

britspin
01-15-2006, 01:02 PM
And if that does not work. just the brandy

Robert
01-16-2006, 04:30 AM
I'm looking to find out if anyone knows what causes pain in the area right above the knee cap on the leg.

Sheryl,

If it's part of the leg muscle rather than the knee, then I have had the same problem a couple of times. Nothing to worry too much about, as it goes away given a week's rest - I've had to teach a couple of classes off the bike and found walking down stairs a real effort but, apart from that, no long-term damage.

It seems to occur whenever I've overworked the hamstrings - a physio would know more but I think the resulting tension pulls on the front of the leg and causes it to overstretch, hence the stabbing-like pain after a few days. Not the bike position, from what I can tell, as it hasn't changed and yet it goes away for a year or more.

As I said, I'm sure a physio will explain it better!

Robert

GeoLes
01-16-2006, 02:34 PM
[quote=GeoLes]Also, the core-fitness trainer at my gym says that a good soak in a hot bath with "raw cider vinegar" - QUOTE]
Ewwww I bet the smells good afterward -it has to work its just to crazy not too
M

Not a tub full of vinegar (that's enough to make anywone's skin wrinkle), Just a capful in hot water.