PDA

View Full Version : Power Training Certification for Indoor Cycling

liveon2wheels
10-16-2009, 03:24 AM
A storm is coming - and the sooner the better. Most of us have had to teach or take indoor cycling / spinning classes with no training tools built into the bike. With the new group of bikes coming in 2010, more and more clubs will not only get bikes with power meters, but also equipped with HR monitors with cadence as well. Sally Edwards and I have put together a comprehensive training program and curriculum aimed at taking advantage of power meters making their way indoors. This training is different than other power training systems, as it recognizes that most indoor riders still do not ride outside, or if they do, few are elite racers. Hence, it is "power training for the rest of us".

While most of the work was done on the Keiser M3, the material is "Bike Agnostic" and will work with any bike with power. The debut was small but went well in Pittsburgh, and the first release on a national scale is scheduled for November 7th, in St. Louis. Flights into St. Louis are now pretty cheap, so if you want to be on the cutting edge, and perhaps be the first one in your city certified in Power Training, come join us for the National Heart Zones Showcase: http://bit.ly/Yg2Al CEUs are also available for this session.

Todd S
10-16-2009, 10:11 AM
FWIW, Saris/CycleOps has been offering power certs for a couple of years now. Also worthwhile for those new to indoor power based training.

Wasn't Sally Edwards associated with the CycleOps folks for a while?

SpinBob
10-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Gene,
Todd is right. Saris has been offering IDC oriented power training for a couple of years. You might want to edit your post, as there has been a Cycle Ops presence on the forum for a while and a few of the folks here have actually taken the certification.

Funhog
10-18-2009, 04:12 PM
I don't think Gene is claiming they are the "first" or "only" program training with power. Just a new one.

Aside from Cycleops, there hasn't been anything else up to now. I know instructors who have taught on the Keiser M3s for awhile, and many have told me they have no idea how to use the power because the training was so dismal - they really didn't even have a program (until now). I realize that CycleOps is the creme de la creme for power (and the most reliable power meter), but if you go take a CycleOps training, don't you kind of need to have the CycleOps bikes? (It's my own dream bike, but alas...it will be awhile because of the cost).

Believe you me, there will soon be a plethora of bikes with a power option on the market. Schwinn recently released one - without a full-fledged training program to go with it (and subsequently Schwinn was put on the chopping block, so my bet is it will be awhile before they develop one). Sounds to me like a program whose time has come. I like the idea of an "agnostic" training program, or better yet, "non-partisan". Doesn't matter the brand of the bike, just a solid program based on sound training principles and science.

PedalFaster
10-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Believe you me, there will soon be a plethora of bikes with a power option on the market.

Hope you are right. Wonder if spinning will join in? I hope so! :)

SpinBob
10-18-2009, 09:07 PM
I don't think Gene is claiming they are the "first" or "only" program training with power. Just a new one.The title Gene gave this thread is "First Power Training Certification for Indoor Cycling," so I have to believe that's what he's claiming; and in that case he is mistaken.

... but if you go take a CycleOps training, don't you kind of need to have the CycleOps bikes? (It's my own dream bike, but alas...it will be awhile because of the cost).I think the principles of training with power, as taught by the CycleOps program, apply to any bike with power. The issue is whether a particular bike's claim of actually measuring power is valid or not.

liveon2wheels
10-19-2009, 04:29 AM
I did remove the word "first" so as not to be insensitive to those who have come before me. The principal difference is that this system was developed to reach the very large population of folks that love spinning / IC and don't ride outside; all while using sound cycling principals so that the avid cyclist can learn and grow with it as well. In fact, there are two key charts for Power Zones - one for Indoor Cyclists and one for Outdoor Cyclists. This is not an appropriate place to go into detail as to why and how the two charts are used, but suffice it to say, this is an inclusive program. I believe it is one that supports my personal mission of Cycling Fusion (bringing the two worlds of cycling; indoors and out closer together), and will be a welcome addition to those using power bikes and trying to make sense of it all.

SpinBob
10-19-2009, 08:22 AM
I did remove the word "first" so as not to be insensitive to those who have come before me. The principal difference is that this system was developed to reach the very large population of folks that love spinning / IC and don't ride outside; all while using sound cycling principals so that the avid cyclist can learn and grow with it as well. In fact, there are two key charts for Power Zones - one for Indoor Cyclists and one for Outdoor Cyclists. This is not an appropriate place to go into detail as to why and how the two charts are used, but suffice it to say, this is an inclusive program. I believe it is one that supports my person mission of Cycling Fusion (bringing the two worlds of cycling; indoors and out closer together), and will be a welcome addition to those using power bikes and trying to make sense of it all.Yes, you did Gene, but the change you made was not reflected on the forum title page, that has been fixed.

I know of no IDC program that is geared toward attracting a small population or geared solely toward the outdoor cyclist coming inside to train, so I'm curious about your claim. The biggest hurdle for most people teaching group IDC classes, and considering a certification that requires bikes that measure power, is that their clubs have traditional IDC stationary bikes. This has been a long standing issue.

In the current economic climate with many clubs struggling to stay open and others failing and closing, I find it hard to imagine a large influx of new bikes of any kind moving in to clubs any time soon, let alone ones that may require instructors to get new certifications to make the most of them. This does not mean there is anything wrong with certifications that teach power-based programs. I just don't think there is a big demand for them, regardless of how good they may be.

EuroD
10-19-2009, 12:25 PM
I know of no IDC program that is geared toward attracting a small population or geared solely toward the outdoor cyclist coming inside to train, so I'm curious about your claim. The biggest hurdle for most people teaching group IDC classes, and considering a certification that requires bikes that measure power, is that their clubs have traditional IDC stationary bikes. This has been a long standing issue.

In the current economic climate with many clubs struggling to stay open and others failing and closing, I find it hard to imagine a large influx of new bikes of any kind moving in to clubs any time soon, let alone ones that may require instructors to get new certifications to make the most of them. This does not mean there is anything wrong with certifications that teach power-based programs. I just don't think there is a big demand for them, regardless of how good they may be.

I have agree with Bob. IDC is for everyone, and how each person uses the class determines what they walk away with.

Personally, I love the idea of power meters and being able to see what I'm really doing, however, as you point out Gene, the classes are mostly attended by people who only take IDC classes as a cardio day. These people don't care about their power output, most just want to peddle and get a little sweat going. Some outdoor riders may be interested in their power output, however, I also don't see them jumping all over the show gagging for this instrument.

When one takes the fun out of IDC for participants by making it very technical, the chances are you are likely to lose an audience, unless there is total buyin.

Lastly, there are clubs and instructors that I know of, who do have power meters and have successfully turned their participant population onto it.

We just have to remember the population.

Rear Derailleur
10-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Schwinn recently released one - without a full-fledged training program to go with it (and subsequently Schwinn was put on the chopping block, so my bet is it will be awhile before they develop one). I know of three people here that have taken the full training for Schwinn. Where do you get your facts?
RD

Funhog
10-19-2009, 07:36 PM
I know of three people here that have taken the full training for Schwinn. Where do you get your facts?
RD

From several sources this past spring - one is someone in the industry who is kind of a "watch-dog" for what's new in IC who gave me a comparison of who is doing what (shortly after IHRSA); another is a club mgr who emailed me with questions about bikes with power - he looked into the new Schwinn bikes but couldn't find enough info, so I think he's going with the M3s now; and thirdly another instructor I know who was searching for power training courses but could only find CycleOps.

I just did a search for the training and couldn't find anything on the first few pages of Google. Schwinn's own training website (Nautilus Institute) doesn't mention power training anywhere - just the standard 8-hour IC instructor course, except for a short sentence saying there was also a 12-hour more comprehensive course, but there was no additional information on that or what it included. Could that be it? I would think they would want to promote their power training.

I'd love to hear more about it if you could give us a link to some information.

Rear Derailleur
10-20-2009, 02:00 PM
I'd love to hear more about it if you could give us a link to some information.
Try Mania's and where ever SCW is given. There is too much value in this product to believe it would be just gone. They have two of the arguably best trainers out there as an added bonus for whom ever buys it. From what people have told me the training happened after the initial orientation is done. I am looking forward to it in April at the Cal Mania.
RD

liveon2wheels
10-21-2009, 06:07 AM
I know of no IDC program that is geared toward attracting a small population or geared solely toward the outdoor cyclist coming inside to train, so I'm curious about your claim...

I want to reiterate my 2nd comment that this was designed for the very LARGE population of folks already content to stay indoors. The smaller group you may refer to however... the outdoor cyclist? Well, that group is also pretty large, but it's true that their numbers who frequent the inside of a spin room are scant at best. I know this challenge well, as I'm into my second year of a vision to see this situation change, with little progress... but progress nevertheless.

As unlikely as it may seem, in a period of time when closures are more likely than expansion, and downsizing more savvy than investment, I remain hopeful. I believe positive change starts with passion, vision & hard work, and in my experience, it seems to always occur when we least expect it.

SpinBob
10-21-2009, 06:19 AM
Gene,

Maybe I wasn't clear, but I don't think you understood what I was trying to say: My feeling is that all indoor cycling programs (Spinning, Cycle Ops, Schwinn, etc.) whether they are geared toward power or not, are trying attract the largest audience possible and they do this by targeting the fitness community, rather than the very small outdoor cycling community that trains inside at fitness centers, so in that sense what you are trying is not any different. That's all I was trying to say.

liveon2wheels
10-23-2009, 06:05 AM
The Indoor Cycling / Spinning room of most fitness facilities has been the "child left behind" when it comes to training tools. Just go into any medium to large facility and you'll see video displays, HR monitors, and other technology tools on most of the cardio equipment. Then look at the bikes...fly wheel, and a resistance knob. I think though, that with the new group of indoor bikes that are coming out, Heart Rate, Cadence and even Power will slowly but surely become the norm not the exception. Will this happen overnight? Absolutely not. Will it happen at all - I believe it will, and I'd rather lead the charge to encourage clubs to get on with it, than continue to be that child left behind. I also don't think certification per se is any silver bullet - but education and knowledge should always be the charge of any instructor who wants to lead a class. Change isn't easy, and the timing may seem completely wrong, but my experience is that vision, passion and hard work are the ingredients that can overcome the most daunting obstacles.

Robert
10-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Try Mania's and where ever SCW is given. So I would change your sources and go to the source. Personally I would not come to an interview with you guys on that site. Too much gossip going on.
RD

Since your so keen on getting proper sources, why not post them? I find nothing for "Mania's" or "SCW", nor do you give any description as to what they might be - Gyms? Programs?

If you know that power training has been given and are accusing others of getting their information wrong, put up the correct info so we can all be enlightened

brownwrap
10-24-2009, 10:20 AM
I found their website:

http://scwfitness.com/index.php?story=124

But I didn't see anything there on training with power.

billpierce
10-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Midwest Mania was here in Chicago earlier this month. Unfortunately, I couldn't attend since I had a schedule conflict that weekend. I did have the brochure but discarded it when I realized I couldn't attend. I don't recall any classes on training with power.

I may be incorrect and have no reason to doubt Rear Cog if she is sure about her facts. The SCW site offers the ability to request a brochure, which I did. I'll post whether there are Schwinn Cycling classes offering power training when I receive it.

Rear Derailleur
10-26-2009, 11:22 AM
@ Robert your in England so I doubt that you'll be heading here to take the class anyway. If you were Rick I would think that there is a chance but you? I am doubtful.
@ Bill, OK well while your at it check out the ones that they just did at IDEA and CAN FIT PRO. I know that the corporate side of this is waiting to see what happens while they have a for sale sign out on the peripheral side but I understand in no way have they discontinued their power development and fine tuning.

RD

RaffCycles
10-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Midwest Mania was here in Chicago earlier this month. Unfortunately, I couldn't attend since I had a schedule conflict that weekend. I did have the brochure but discarded it when I realized I couldn't attend. I don't recall any classes on training with power.

I may be incorrect and have no reason to doubt Rear Cog if she is sure about her facts. The SCW site offers the ability to request a brochure, which I did. I'll post whether there are Schwinn Cycling classes offering power training when I receive it.

You can download the brochure. It doesn't mention anything about power. Maybe it is in the instructor training, but power isn't specifically mentioned.

Here is a link to the Boston Mania brochure (http://www.scwfitness.com/mania_pdfs/BOSTON2009.pdf).

I'd be interested to hear what anyone has to say about their training on Power.

SpinBob
10-27-2009, 07:48 AM
The Indoor Cycling / Spinning room of most fitness facilities has been the "child left behind" when it comes to training tools. Just go into any medium to large facility and you'll see video displays, HR monitors, and other technology tools on most of the cardio equipment. Then look at the bikes...fly wheel, and a resistance knob. I think though, that with the new group of indoor bikes that are coming out, Heart Rate, Cadence and even Power will slowly but surely become the norm not the exception. Will this happen overnight? Absolutely not. Will it happen at all - I believe it will, and I'd rather lead the charge to encourage clubs to get on with it, than continue to be that child left behind. I also don't think certification per se is any silver bullet - but education and knowledge should always be the charge of any instructor who wants to lead a class. Change isn't easy, and the timing may seem completely wrong, but my experience is that vision, passion and hard work are the ingredients that can overcome the most daunting obstacles.Gene,
I agree with you, in terms of passion and change and all that. I also agree that in many clubs IDC classes get the short end of the stick. It is often a struggle just to get the club to keep the bikes in good working order. However, two components need to be added to your equation: club owners and the riders. Both of these groups need to see a value in training with power, until that happens conventional bikes will be the norm in most clubs.

Robert
10-27-2009, 10:23 AM
@ Robert your in England so I doubt that you'll be heading here to take the class anyway. If you were Rick I would think that there is a chance but you? I am doubtful.

After attending ECA Miami, ECA New York and WSSC Miami in six months, forgive me for saving my money for a change.

Besides, training with power is not that new - maybe to indoor cycling instructors but not to cyclists, especially from the track.

GoogooSpin
10-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Meeoowww! Why the hostility? Jen has been such a huge contributor to the IDC community. She has mentored, inspired and shared so much of her knowledge for years. I have benefited from her posts, blogs, seminars and they have really helped make me the best instructor I can be. I owe a lot to Mrs. Sage (and many other contributers to this site). We are all here to teach and learn from each other. Maybe it's just me, but I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt instead of immediately assuming that there is any evil intent. Sure, feel free to disagree or correct any misinformation but my momma told me, if you can't say something nice....you know the rest.

SpinBob
10-28-2009, 06:32 AM
... and then say Schwinn cycling is on a "Chopping block". Lets say this is true, it seems to me that this is something that would make those that have embraced this program feel hurt...That the Schwinn cycling program may or may not be on the chopping block is a business decision by Nautilus and I'm sure they aren't taking anyone's feeling into consideration when they make that decision. Is it upsetting to those who have embraced the Schwinn program? I'm sure it is, but talking a company's business decisions isn't the same as saying negative things about the program. And if Nautilus drops the Schwinn cycling program because they don't feel it can make them money, that doesn't mean that what the program is teaching is bad or unsuccessful. You need to have a better understanding that when people are making comments about the business side of a program, they aren't saying negative things about what the program stands for. If you'd bother to look, you'd see enough unflattering things said about the way MDA runs their business, that doesn't mean people are anti-Spinning.

Pro
10-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Have a look.

http://seattle.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2009/09/28/daily20.html?surround=etf&ana=e_article

Rear Derailleur
10-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Have a look.

http://seattle.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2009/09/28/daily20.html?surround=etf&ana=e_article
They may indeed sale ,but why don't you go ask Jay Blahnik and Julz Arney if the program will go on? Its not the corporations but the people. Pop quiz!
Josh if MDA vanished for you what would you do? Would you do the same as JG? Bob please answer this too.

RD

PedalFaster
10-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Can't we all just get along? :)

Rear Derailleur
10-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Can't we all just get along? :)
Yes we can and I will.
RD

Funhog
10-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Wow and they let you in the country -just joking
So your a racer? Do you look like Lance?:D Joking again;)

Seriously though you would not come to a Schwinn conference anyway would you? So why bomb this thread with worrying about if they have a program or not?
Why Mrs. sage put out gossip about a program after you just said (after quiting MDA) that you are trying to blur the lines with. And that the pay forum site is a sanctuary for all indoor program instructors and then say Schwinn cycling is on a "Chopping block". Lets say this is true, it seems to me that this is something that would make those that have embraced this program feel hurt. Seems to me there is a little back handing here and there is a lot ethnocentrism on soul chosen IDC's.
RD

Hmmm, I read that at least a dozen times trying to make sense of it...:confused:

How about a little economy lesson. "Chopping Block" is a euphemism for "divesting" (a common one by the way - you'll even see it in the WSJ - especially these days), and has nothing to do with the Schwinn program or the company. There is nothing disparaging about it. It's no different than saying that as a result of cutbacks, GM is divesting itself of Saab, Hummer or Saturn. If you drive a Saturn and love your car, would you get pissed at the journalist who wrote about it? I'm sorry you're hurt about it Ms. RD, but that has nothing to do with me and taking it personally is a little silly.

Gossip? Nothing I have written is gossip. I try to keep abreast of this industry, and I've been deeply involved in the IC category for the past 13 years, and the fitness industry for over 25 years (I attended my first IRSA and Club Industry in 1985). I have quite a few contacts from numerous companies. Did you personally not know Schwinn was up for sale? Many in the industry would have heard about awhile ago (the article posted is Sept 28, but it was a strong rumor prior to that. I think I heard it in June). One would have to wonder why after the unveiling of their new bike, there wasn't a whole lot more heard about the bike - well, now we know why. I was going to come back and post that article, but Josh did it already.

Let's go back to the subject of this thread. Gene is introducing a new Power Training program. There aren't many out there. The discussion went to who has power bikes, and who has a power training program, and how would one be able to take a power training program. I believe that Gene's program is a great idea, especially since they plan to be "non-denominational". However, it might be a tough road due to the economy; it may take a few more years (beyond what it might have taken) for the idea of power in IC classes to take root. As a wise man once said, "It's the economy, stupid!"

Schwinn's situation is a perfect example (and this can be extrapolated to any company considering developing a bike with power). Think about it. Any bike that measures power (that is, an indoor bike that will measure power accurately but at a price point that this tenuous price-sensitive market will bear) doesn't happen overnight. Schwinn's development of this bike and the program was most likely at least 2, maybe 3 years in the works. Good products take time, and I believe Schwinn puts out a good product - both the hardware and the software.

So about a year ago, I can only imagine that the people involved in the development of the bike and the accompanying program were getting very excited for the unveiling at IHRSA. They had signed contracts to present the program at many conferences (those conference sessions are contracted about a year in advance). But something dark and scary was looming on the horizon, something that was no fault of their own (or any company), something that would affect every living person on this planet.

The economy crashed. I don't care how good a program is, the corporate execs look only at share-holder return and the potential for future profits. Nautlius execs sat in a board room with an exacto knife and now, Schwinn is looking for a new home. They are divesting their commercial divisions to go after the consumer market, because clubs are not buying, and they don't seem to think they will for awhile. Individuals have been canceling their memberships, and some are buying home equipment - they want more of this market.

If Nautilus is selling that division, you can bet they aren't putting any money into it either while it is up for sale, certainly not into marketing or promotion. Thus, my comment about not being able to find any information about it on their website or on the first couple of pages of Google. Again, that wasn't a disparaging comment about the program, RD, it was a basic fact.

Let's hope Schwinn goes to a good home - it's a strong and recognizable brand that has endured many setbacks (and new owners) in the past. Schwinn is good for indoor cycling, we do not want to lose them as a player in this industry.

Other companies that are developing bikes with power are probably watching this very closely. Hopefully we'll see some new ones, but I've got a hunch some are going to hold off. But even in a bad economy, it's still important to be forward thinking and have the right products in place for when the economy does improve. Otherwise they could be 2-3 years behind when that does happen, because of the aforementioned R&D timetable.

In the meantime, things are looking a bit gloomy for clubs. I just sat down with our club manager after he met with his boss to go over the new budget (or rather, to rewrite the budget). He rolled his eyes and said we can't even buy pencils! Thank goodness our bikes don't need replacing, because we'd have to put bandaids on them for a few more years - no major purchases in the foreseeable future. And this is a high-end athletic facility owned by a luxury hotel. It's the same across the board with mom-and-pop gyms, boutique studios, community clubs, small and large chains (24-hr nautiluses are closing left and right)...

RD, you do have a tendency to make things far too personal. I want to ask you please, don't do that. Regarding your comment: "Personally I would not come to an interview with you guys on that site. Too much gossip going on"....
You obviously haven't listened to anything we've put out over there. I don't care if you choose not to check it out, but don't go talking about something about which you know nothing. We provide education, not gossip. We help instructors grow and learn and be the best coach they can be regardless of which bike they're riding. I left the Spinning program to be "agnostic", "non-denominational", "non-partisan" and to reach across the aisle to everyone. In no way are we "ethnocentric", to use your terminology. Though my roots and love is for Spinning, I'll take the best of all programs and blend them; I don't answer to any one particular program, and I also don't have to put my hands in the center of the handlebars and pretend to like it. We're about keeping it real, keeping it safe and effective, employing motivation and inspiration, and using proper training principles. Period.

Rear Derailleur
10-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Hmmm, I read that at least a dozen times trying to make sense of it...:confused:
Please Jennifer you spent a lot of time with the answer. And this statement right out of the box...I will take time to read but it may take some time to put things into proper context.
RD

SpinBob
10-28-2009, 07:14 PM
They may indeed sale ,but why don't you go ask Jay Blahnik and Julz Arney if the program will go on? Its not the corporations but the people. Pop quiz!
Josh if MDA vanished for you what would you do? Would you do the same as JG? Bob please answer this too.

RDLet's stay on topic. I think the original issue was whether Schwinn was developing a power-based program and the response was that since their future was uncertain, so were any programs they might be developing. You claimed there was a program but have provided no verification. I think if you have some you need to put up or .... well you know the rest.

As for what I would do if MDA folded up their tent? That would depend if employers were still honoring the certification. If they weren't, I find a program that I had faith in and get a new certification that would be acceptable.

Jay and Julz are great people, but if Nautilus sells, who knows what the new owner will do with the program. And if they can't find a buyer, Nautilus may pull the plug on the program and hold on to the rights to sell when the economy is stronger. I hope Jay and Julz have the resources to continue what they are doing or that they could find a backer to support them.

tracik
10-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Please Jennifer you spent a lot of time with the answer. And this statement right out of the box...I will take time to read it but I can already tell its got a passive agressive smell to it.
RD

I hope you'll actually take the time to read Jennifer's post...it was very informative and not passive-aggressive at all. She was direct yet professional in her comments to you (not passive-aggressive), but most of the reply actually has nothing to do with you personally. Is it just me or does it seem like some people only take the time to post when they want to be confrontational? Is it really so hard to just have conversations with others without turning them into an argument nearly every time? To quote pedalfaster (and I believe some other guy in LA a while back ;)), "Can't we all just get along?"

Rear Derailleur
10-29-2009, 11:11 AM
"Can't we all just get along?"
Yes we can.
RD

SpinBob
10-30-2009, 06:10 AM
I want to let the forum know that my editing of some of the threads of this discussion is not the normal course of interaction for this forum. Rear Derailleur has edited some of her comments at my urging to remove the unpleasant tone she seems to feel is necessary. I did not feel she did a thorough enough job and told her if she didn't clean up her posts that I would do it for her. I notified in advance and apologized privately to the other people's post's that I edited, who were responding to Rear Derailleur's rudeness. Rear Derailleur has been warned several times, privately, that the forum expects civil discussions from its members. Please feel free to alert the moderators to anyone you feel is out of line with their comments. Editing posts is not standard operating procedure here, we view all comments as valid, except the ones that personally attack other forum members or that are derogatory or demeaning.

Jpgirl
10-30-2009, 12:23 PM
@ Bill, OK well while your at it check out the ones that they just did at IDEA and CAN FIT PRO. I know that the corporate side of this is waiting to see what happens while they have a for sale sign out on the peripheral side but I understand in no way have they discontinued their power development and fine tuning.

RD

I was at IDEA and took every Schwinn class offered-I am Schwinn trained and love their programs-there was no official training. In every session they offered they did spend the first few minutes explaining the computer and a bit on power training but by no means did I consider that a training. Jay and Julz do a great job and I would take a training from them but it'll be a cold day in you know where before our gym gets bikes with computers. We just got the Body Bikes in May and they're not holding up well

Rear Derailleur
10-30-2009, 02:21 PM
I was at IDEA and took every Schwinn class offered-I am Schwinn trained and love their programs-there was no official training. In every session they offered they did spend the first few minutes explaining the computer and a bit on power training but by no means did I consider that a training. Jay and Julz do a great job and I would take a training from them but it'll be a cold day in you know where before our gym gets bikes with computers. We just got the Body Bikes in May and they're not holding up well
I understand that there was a small amount of people at these trainings. So that could be a limiting factor. Up in Renton Washington, close to my home, there was a private training of a gym that bought the bikes from a MI that lives in Oregon. That is where the 3 that I know took it. By the way JPG was the new Music Magic Class any different than last years?
Best,
RD

Rear Derailleur
10-30-2009, 03:23 PM
OK here it is I am going to out myself on who I am ...really... Most of you who know me know that I like to be crazy and love to be creative. And then you also know I am passionate about my program (I do know whats going on with it) and know when it has been done wrong. So at the urging of my fellow comrades and since I was about to let down on Rear Dérailleur anyway. I have to come clean. I am Megale 3 who use to post here a lot some time ago before I was banned for being whom I have been as Rear Dérailleur and wasn't. I have been cloaked and ribbing some people -people that I know ,and some that just got swallowed up in it (Robert). I have taken a bite out of you and may be your pissed at me and I understand -but I was punkin you because of things said that may have been off base and some may think to harshly. I have seen stuff that made me want to post here as Meg but my stance was that I would never do that again. Therefor I have let myself down too. But its not so bad here. Bob has been crazy with finding me out and I only can say if your mad Bob I am sorry- we still have MD. I will apologize to you all now BUT I am going to remain as Rear Dérailleur and post once in a while if you'll allow me. Go ahead knock me I may deserve it after all.
Megale 3
AKA Mike

Todd S
10-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Therefor I have let myself down too.

You haven't started drinking again too have you?

Maybe just take a long hot shower and scrub real hard. ;)

SpinBob
10-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Mike,
Actually I've known for a long time and have been hoping that I was wrong. I thought I had been dropping some pretty heavy hints that I knew. Either you knew that I knew or you were missing what I thought was an obvious message.

I like practical jokes with the best of them, but a line is crossed, and it ceases to be funny, when people get hurt. I understand a certain amount of animosity directed at this forum, given the history, but the source of that animosity has been gone for a while and all you ended up doing was creating a lot of ill will and hard feelings amongst people you really don't know and who really didn't deserve it. You could have been building bridges but instead you decided to throw bombs. You owe a lot of people some very personal, heartfelt apologies...

Funhog
10-30-2009, 05:52 PM
This.hurts.a.lot.Mike.
I thought we were friends. Really! I've known you for so many years. Meeting you for dinner in Denver! Joking with you on IC! Calling you up.
I always liked you a lot Mike, loved your jokes - someties a twisted humor but always good-natured, loved your personality.

Is this your nasty alter ego??

Ugh. I feel sick to my stomach. My head is spinning (no pun intended).
I can't remember feeling so let down, ever!
"passive aggressive"??? You know damn well that that isn't even in my nature.
You had it out for me more than almost anyone.

You also know that I don't have a problem with the Schwinn program, even asked you for help with their zones (which BTW, I prefer to Spinning Energy Zones). And I never put down the Schwinn program, although you (RD) seemed to believe that was so. You purposely twisted anything I said. I knew from the highest levels about the injunction against Schwinn - none of it was heresay (referring to the last time you had it out for me), but even that wasn't putting down the program.

And BTW, are you really that in love with Jillian, or was that all for show too? Now I get it, I bet it was you who left that nasty comment on my blog when I called Jillian out after the terrible Spinning sessions on national TV.

Excuse me while I go throw up.

Rear Derailleur
10-30-2009, 06:13 PM
Excuse me while I go throw up. Come on dude don't go there Rear Dérailleur was not worth it.
I have erased now four different replies to this Jen. I had a lot of pent up stuff and I let you have it and even if I didn't believe what I was writing. Like as far as Jillian... come on I thought that you had me there. But you had a lot of good stuff too you know? Bob said he knew all along and gave me hints he did. I guess I could have stopped then but the rush of the soap opera kept me going until now. I am accepting of you disliking me for it.
Mike

Funhog
10-30-2009, 06:25 PM
I guess I tend to believe in the good nature of people, and perhaps I am a little bit gullible, but I believe most people are honest.

However, I was about to call out RD for not saying her name or where she was from or more about herself. I've had suspicions for awhile she wasn't who she said she was (actually she never really did say, did she?), but I had no idea who it could be.

YOU???

I'm sorry, but this needs saying....

You need help, dude.

Rear Derailleur
10-30-2009, 06:29 PM
You need help, dude.
Dude your right! :o
Mike

SpinBob
10-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Jennifer,

Believe me, I understand. You are upset. A lot of less than desirable things were said in public, under pretense, but do you want to continue this in public?

Funhog
10-30-2009, 06:33 PM
No. It's over.

Funhog
10-30-2009, 06:34 PM
One LAST comment...

Come on dude don't go there Rear Dérailleur was not worth it.

No, but you were...

Jpgirl
10-31-2009, 08:32 PM
I understand that there was a small amount of people at these trainings. So that could be a limiting factor. Up in Renton Washington, close to my home, there was a private training of a gym that bought the bikes from a MI that lives in Oregon. That is where the 3 that I know took it. By the way JPG was the new Music Magic Class any different than last years?
Best,
RD

Seriously-3,000 is a small number?? I go to IDEA every year for the last 15 years because they draw IMHO the biggest crowd. I'm not trashing Schwinn, but I am questioning your validity. No offense on a personal level-I just know what I know

Jpgirl
10-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Ok- read about you outing yourself. Seriously-like the industry needed this-Like I needed this!! I am very passionate with what I do. I work at a gym that is full of very inexperienced new instructors who are TRAINED, NOT CERTIFIED and have developped a "cult" of members who know no better. I fight the misinformation every day-I've been in contact with Funhog and other professional trainers to help me combat that and YOU decided it'd be fun to Jack us around????? Sad-really sad. Especially since I am Schwinn trained and respect the trainers you cited. At least they are professional and when pressed did not disrespect programs that do not agree with their training procedures. You may tell me to get a life and that's fine I respect that. But my life is inspiring other people to become advocates for themselves about their health and that includes fitness-so I do take it seriously. Man I am soo disappointed-you are not about expanding our thoughts-you're just about having fun at other peoples expense. Well Happy Halloween-guess I don't have to continue reading anything form you , RD or any future identities.

Rear Derailleur
11-01-2009, 04:28 PM
You may tell me to get a life and that's fine I respect that. No, I won't tell you that and sorry for you getting caught up in it. But I owe friends that I have pissed off beers and occasional re-assuredness of my loyalties.
Mike

GoogooSpin
11-01-2009, 04:43 PM
No, I won't tell you that and sorry for you getting caught up in it. But I owe friends that I have pissed off beers and occasional re-assuredness of my loyalties.
Mike
" Friends!?!" WTF.....some friend.

Rear Derailleur
11-01-2009, 05:46 PM
" Friends!?!" WTF.....some friend.
Right, that is why I am apologizing. no excuses just acknowledgment.
Mike