PDA

View Full Version : Rust & Handlebar Handgrips?

CycleGuy
06-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Okay this is an interesting one. I am guessing at the problem but let me describe what is happening.

About two weeks ago, one of my heavy sweating participants (an outdoor rider who works really hard in class) came up to me after class and showed me the towel he had used to wipe the bike down - it was covered in streaks that were a reddish brown. He wanted to know if it was blood or make-up. I couldn't see it being blood so suggested it must have been make-up that had dripped from a previous participant.

Today in class, prior to starting, another participant commented that his hands looked like they were covered in blood after the Tuesday class. I couldn't fathom what was happening. So before we started class, I had a number of the participants show me their palms. I had a look at the palms after the class; the workers (heavy sweaters) all had palms that were reddish-brown - like rust. I noted the ones that never really work at all in the class had palms that were the same as at the start of the class.

I teach with cycling gloves because I do sweat a lot and need something to absorb the drippings so I have never noticed this. I have also been teaching off the bike this week so wasn't able to test it myself.

My only thought is that the steel handle bars are rusting underneath the black foam padding that covers them. When enough sweat soaks in, the rust colours the sweat turning a reddish colour. Participants also commented that sometimes their puddles of sweat on the floor are tinged red.

Anyone have anything like this happen before? I have submitted a maintenance report to the facility, with copies to the GM, Group Fitness Director and Fitness Manager.

Pink
06-19-2009, 06:20 AM
Wow, interesting. Rust sounds like the only explanation. Which bikes do you have?

We had a crazy thing at one of my gyms. Spinner Pros. We had one bike (only one of 15 which were all bought at the same time) that had handlebars that spelled like onions. It was the craziest thing. No matter what we did, if you used that bike your hands reeked of onions afterwards. It never went away and they eventually replaced them.

CycleGuy
06-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Wow, interesting. Rust sounds like the only explanation. Which bikes do you have?

We had a crazy thing at one of my gyms. Spinner Pros. We had one bike (only one of 15 which were all bought at the same time) that had handlebars that spelled like onions. It was the craziest thing. No matter what we did, if you used that bike your hands reeked of onions afterwards. It never went away and they eventually replaced them.

Ahh, oops. Posted this in the 'wrong' section. Actually these are the LeMond RevMaster bikes. Prepping a workshop that I will be doing on Keiser, so had their bikes on my mind.

Pink, would you be able to move this to the LeMond section, or should I just re-post it there?

CycleGuy
08-05-2009, 01:50 AM
An update.

Facility approached Life Fitness - who have the contract for maintaining the bikes. They have never seen anything like this. They replaced one handlebar to take the old back to look into it. That was around 25-June. Nothing since.

EuroD
08-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Interesting - we have LeMond bikes for a number of years and never run into this problem. We also have the foam handlebars, and the only thing I can think of is that the foam has degraded to the point where the metal is getting wet. My riders who sweat alot in class, place towels over the handlebars.

Appreciate the heads up in case it does ever happen to one of my bikes.