View Full Version : No Mic-No Class!

03-22-2005, 05:02 AM
last thursday night,I taught at work and the mic was intermittent with pick-up.As I left,I told the receptionist so it could get fixed.

I have been at Fitness Fiesta Friday - Sunday so haven't been at work for a while.I taught last night and the mic was exactly the same so I had to go without and shout.

I woke up this morning with a very sore throat and struggling to catch my breath among other symptoms which have underlying for the last few months (lots of very minor things) so I took my mic in with me,exactly the same model so I didn't need the receiver and guess what??? Exactly the same problem,so I cancelled the class after about 30 seconds of the first track.The participants (5) thought I was joking and the Manager's first question was 'could someone else cover the class' he then turned and walked away closing the door behind him only to return 20 seconds later to start grilling me as to why I didn't bring my mic in like I said I would.

Am I missing something here? Like the wellbeing of staff and suchlike?

Has anyone else cancelled a class due to a lack of a mic?What,if anything,happened?

03-22-2005, 09:22 AM
I find it unacceptable to be required to teach without a mic, but that's what we live with at our club. The aerobic staff have a mic in their room, but NOT the cycling instructors. Several years ago, I suffered from vocal cord noduels and had to take a few months off from teaching. Our club is relocating in the fall, I will insist they provide a mic.

03-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Only one of the clubs where I teach has a room with no mic... I have to shout and it hurts after the class... you're right about your safety, they should have fixed it and avoid agravation on the members that come in and expect to have a decent class.

Another unrelated example of management oversight of safety issues happened to me on Saturday... I reported two bikes who are squeaking really bad... I do believe that it is something in the crank... not related to the break/pads... so I was told to go back into the cycling room and spray them with silicone....???? The bike maintenance dude had just serviced the bikes on Friday... let's see... money well spent... not!

03-22-2005, 11:07 AM
I teach at a Bally's with no mic. The spin room has never has one. The aerobics instructors in the other studio have to provide their own. I have been teaching there for two years - no mic. It's just the way it is. When the stereo went out at the same club, the regional manager told me to bring in my own equipment until they could replace it, or cancel the class. I brought in my own boom box - my opinion was it was better than nothing. I was also told to keep my comments to myself and not to complain about it in front of members.

I do notice my teaching style is different if I have a mic or not. I seem to talk less if I don't have a mic. If heart rates are climbing, I have to back off, so I can still talk, my voice is also completely different. It is more militant, more yelling without a mic, because I have to shout. With a mic I notice I am able to contols the level and pitch of my voice, not shouting, more pleasant.

I guess you have to decide what's right for you and what sort of conditions you can or cannot work under.

03-22-2005, 12:10 PM
:eek: I choose to teach with no mic - it just irritates me, and I lose my style. I become a mouse when I try and use the mic (believe me I keep trying) and I've had comments that it just sounds weird. Other instructors use it. I guess I'm just not a mic person. I'm careful when using my voice, I lower the tone so that sound eminates from the gut upwards, I don't yell or shout but manage to get my voice to a level where it can be heard by a room full of cyclists and pretty loud music (it's not whispered music).

I'm sorry that some of your clubs are not concerned about your voices OR their equipment - as for bringing in your one boom box when their stuff is broken, I think not! That's the club's responsibility. If they can't provide me with working equipment, then I can't provide them with a quality class.

03-22-2005, 12:25 PM
At the primary facility where I teach, the mic broke about a year ago and there's been no replacement. There used to be one in the other studio, but the it was stolen during a break-in and not replaced. I believe this club would like to see all the aerobic and cycling classes eliminated, so fixing things has not been a priority for them :(

I really enjoy the people that attend my classes here and the proximity makes it very convenient, so I try to ignore the lack of support.

Do all facilities think of aerobic and cycling classes as a loss leader, or am is this club just run by someone who doesn't understand what results in customer satisfaction? :confused:

Teaching at other clubs is an entirely different experience with well maintained bikes, stereos and mics. Definately a night and day difference.

03-22-2005, 03:30 PM
I'm surprised so many of you that want to teach with a mic don't just go out and buy one. You will be much happier using your own knowning that you are the only one who sweats on it and can clean it at anytime. Plus you keep it safe and know that no one else is abusing it. You will get your moneys worth. I'm on my second mic. My first still works but I chose to buy a wireless one just for convience. I know they are expensive but if you can't afford it right now try saving some of your earnings and by the time you relieze it you will have enough to pay for it.

Just my opinion. ;)

03-22-2005, 04:20 PM
I've been tempted to buy my own, but I don't understand really how it works. Do you just buy the headset and then it will work with any stereo?

We have two mics but they rarely work. I spend more time teaching without than with. We sent them both off for repair a few weeks ago, got them both back in last week and they both worked for oh, about 30 minutes before going out again.

03-22-2005, 07:58 PM
You have to buy the headset and the reciever which come together iwhen you buy a mic. Then a cable to connect the mic to the stero and your good to go. It's really not that difficult, just plug it in and to the stero and you're up and running.

03-23-2005, 06:42 AM
Hi There.

Interesting thoughts on microphone use, me? I love my head mic, yes my head mic. I ummed & ahhed about buying my own, until I found an abandoned one at my club. Forgotten by all, I asked about using it and got a blank, asked about buying it, and got a 'give us a fiver, and you pay for repairs, it's yours', so a 40 repair/rewire later, new pop screen and I have my own headset that works with the transmitter in the studio, result.
The communal set is kept clean and disinfected, but not all instructors use it.
I agree with the posting about it being easier to modulate voice/music, to change focus & emphasis with the combination of mic & music level changes, most participants tell me my classes are the quietest as far as music volume is concerned, but the most informative as far as information, coaching points & instruction is concerned, rarely does anyone ask me to turn it up, if ever.
Can anyone explain the instructors who turn the music up to ear bleeding levels, put on the mic and shout? I understand amplification, and thought that mics replace the need to shout.
Keep good diction.

03-23-2005, 08:13 AM

If the communal mic is broken or out for repair, I do lend mine out, I do not expect instructors to teach without a mic, they are given the choice, borrow or no mic, and an assurance that repairs are underway. Our tech repair company is very local & I have a good relationship with them, so repairs are quick & I can always pop by to pick up & drop off if they are busy.
Keep it local.

03-23-2005, 11:06 AM
This post has made me become aware of my voice and how I can coach during a class. Case in point I subbed a 5:30am class Monday. I did a progressive hill profile, each hill becomes longer and subsequently each recovery period become longer, seated climbs, standing, and running w/resistance. I taught the same profile in my Tues. 6pm class. Monday's class I had a mic, Tuesday's class no mic. I can honestly say I believe I was a better coach Monday because I was able to control all levels - my voice, the music and keep it constant throughout, nice even flow. In Tuesday's class I found myself adjusting the the volume to the music throughout the class, so I could talk, this IMO made the class not flow as well. (I don't crank up the music to a blarring volume either) I do however protect my voice and subsequently don't talk as much. This could be a good or bad thing.

03-23-2005, 12:49 PM
I found this article in the spinning web site, it talks about protecting your vocal cords... worth the read.

04-13-2005, 07:45 AM
I taught without a mic once, and I will never do it again. By the end of class, I was exhausted from shouting, and my throat hurt for days! I also ended up buying my own after seeing another instructor coughing on the communal mic - just made me feel a little sick!