PDA

View Full Version : Here is my view if you ya really wann know.

mrtrpm
12-28-2008, 11:27 PM
There really should only be one goal of indoor cycling classes, okay maybe three, four
1) Safe. The program is crap if people are getting injured from bad moves or form.
2)Effective: If there are no results, then the program is crap.
3)Fun: People will return and tell others if they are having fun in a safe effective program.
4)It should be accessable to all levels of riders at all times. It should be up to the coach to push advanced riders to their limit and still take care of the fragile eggs in the same class. It should help experienced outdoor riders become, stronger, fitter and faster and yet absolute beginners/non out door riders, leave the class feeling like, Yea, I Can Do This!
5) It should be presented as to entice more beginners bums on bike seats while catering to cycling fanatics. If it too easy for ya, turn it up.

If this sounds like the program your teaching, good on ya.
thats all I got to say about that.
t

KatieC
01-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Nicely done! Thanks!

mrtrpm
01-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Thank you KC!

orangestripes
06-02-2011, 12:15 AM
This is such an old post, but I read it and have to say it makes me feel really good about getting started with instructing. Sometimes I feel like there's too much information (or dissection of information even!) and I guess I am happy to know I can just go with it and do what feels good!

Pink
06-02-2011, 04:21 AM
Succinctly stated...but it takes a fair amount of background knowledge & experience to achieve.

Vivienne
06-02-2011, 06:33 AM
This is such an old post, but I read it and have to say it makes me feel really good about getting started with instructing. Sometimes I feel like there's too much information (or dissection of information even!) and I guess I am happy to know I can just go with it and do what feels good!

Everyone has to start somewhere. However, as Pink points out, there's a bit more to being succinct than just coming out with short, snappy phrases (I often apologise for a long response to a question by saying I didn't have the time for a short one....even less for an appropriate PubMed link)

I'm pretty sure than any instructor teaching an unsafe, ineffective, boring etc. etc. class did so by going with something that felt good.....at least to themselves.

Vivienne ..... wishing I still had the self confidence I had back when I actually understood less but seemed to have fewer gaps in my knowledge

zoepup
06-02-2011, 02:58 PM
I think the stumbling point is "fun" Can you keep it fun, yet safe, effective, etc. Many instructors are more interested in fun, and the other points suffer because of it.

Pink
06-02-2011, 06:36 PM

I'm glad you bumped up this old thread because I think it brings up good points for discussion. I agree with the "Keep It Simple" method, however, I feel that it is my job to do my homework and make sure that my 'simple' profile is safe & purposeful. I don't feel the need to always explain the reason why we are doing something, I just need to know it's well thought out and rooted in sound training principles. Once that's established, how it's delivered becomes a matter of style. One person can put it to top 40's sing-alongs, another can use trance. One can wrap it up in a theme-style ride, while another delivers it in a stripped down "road" style. It's all good as long as it starts as a sound ride. That's what I needed to learn when I first started -- how to accomplish that. In fact, I think any gym worth its salt will have instructors of varying styles so they can offer a variety to their members. Just my 2 cents.

JoJo
06-24-2011, 03:08 PM
I do believe in all 5 points and I do use them in my classes.
Thank you for posting!

kimm100569
06-25-2011, 10:16 AM
I think the stumbling point is "fun" Can you keep it fun, yet safe, effective, etc. Many instructors are more interested in fun, and the other points suffer because of it.

I've been in some crazy classes for the sake of "fun." It usually ends with my hips hurting and me wondering why they feel putting students health at risk is "fun."

cerimoe
07-08-2011, 05:31 PM
With the right mix of "moves" and music I definitely think that it possible to keep it safe yet fun!! It just takes work and effort on our (instructors) part.