PDA

View Full Version : Very Impressed...

alexkaboom
02-22-2005, 10:01 AM
I visited a new club in my area last night and took a spinning class. The instructor is a friend and she asked to come to check the place out.

They have brand new Lemond bikes and I was very impressed with their performance... smooth, oh so smooth! Going back to my gym this am for an early class made me realize that the Lemonds are really good quality machines!

Does anyone know about their performance over time? How about maintenance? I'm curious to see how they compare to other bikes as they age...

Alex.

cyclefreak
02-22-2005, 04:56 PM
We've had ours for just over a year. I rarely do anything to them other than cleaning. We have a maintenance guy who tightens the crank arms and stuff on occasion, but really, they've been pretty trouble free. The only gripe I have is that they don't all feel the same. Some of the bikes go from a "3" to a "6" in nothing flat, while others take turns and turns of the knob to ever feel any additional tension.

We have had a few of the ratchet things under the seat strip, but that was an easy and cheap fix.

I love how quiet and smooth they are, and I get a perfect fit for my short legs. Glad to hear you liked them.

terrors
02-22-2005, 05:56 PM
at our gym we have had the lemond bikes for a little over a year. the only other bikes i have used are the kaiser ( didn't like these at all) and older reebok's. the lemond is far superior to those and yes a very smooth ride and once you get the tension sorted out they are great. minor maintainence problems with one big exception, we had a pedal break off at the crank arm luckily there were no injuries.

raptor
02-23-2005, 01:25 AM
One of the gyms I work at just got Lemonds and I've ridden them a few times. They are *too* smooth.

Tonight was the first time in months I rode as a "student." I had to turn the knob many revolutions to feel the resistance, and it turned out to be too much a minute later. They're extremely smooth riding. It's not like the older style bikes which give pretty quick feedback, or my outdoor bikes which provide instant response to a gear change.

Maybe I'll change my mind after riding them a few more times. (And I hope to ride off-stage more often. Leading the class just isn't the same workout.)

Lynn

terrors
02-23-2005, 08:11 PM
lynn
what i found helps is to check before riding that the resistance pad is just about touching the flywheel, maybe a hair away. also i made sure each bike was numbered so that folks got to know what each individual bike was like. some take only a quarter turn to reach say a '3' and some take maybe a full turn or more. what where you riding before?

groupexer67
02-23-2005, 10:32 PM
The club where I teach has just two of these bikes. The crew that maintains our bikes requested them. The said they are they easiest to maintain, fix and repair. I find them the easiest to fit people on. Lots of room for play. I love the water bottle on the handle bars. No sweat dripping on them. Unfortunately, it is not the type the gym has decided to dominate or put on the instructors stage.

raptor
02-23-2005, 11:09 PM
Terrors, I've ridden just a few of the Lemonds. The others are V-bikes, which I've ridden for a couple years. While the V-bikes have variations of their own, I think the resistance curve is steeper overall.

The Lemonds IMO are different, not worse and maybe better. More study is needed.

Lynn

alexkaboom
02-24-2005, 09:07 AM
I think that the resistance issue is something you experience with all types of bikes, just it's more noticeable in the Lemonds... I still like it best so far... I wished I had checked them out before I bought my schwinn for home workouts.:(