PDA

View Full Version : RPM Question

fitnesschick
04-26-2008, 11:45 AM
I am getting certified in a few weeks in RPM because one of the clubs I teach at is switching over. I sampled a few rides from another club and like it. I was wondering if anyone had "added a track" from another release to extend the class to an hour format.

I would like to on occassion use the rides for another club but my class is a stickler for the hour that the schedules says they are suppose to get. I personally felt like I got a great ride in 50 minutes from the classes that I sampled but I know it will be a huge issue with my riders. They WANT their hour long. I have heard that some instructors might purchase older releases and add a track to extend the class length.

Any experience with this? Also can anyone recommend some of the older releases that are good.

thanks

rick316
04-26-2008, 11:52 AM
I don't believe it is the "done thing" to extend the packaged & polished programme that is RPM .... but that's not to say you can't;)

SloSpin
04-26-2008, 02:19 PM
I am getting certified in a few weeks in RPM because one of the clubs I teach at is switching over. I sampled a few rides from another club and like it. I was wondering if anyone had "added a track" from another release to extend the class to an hour format.

I would like to on occassion use the rides for another club but my class is a stickler for the hour that the schedules says they are suppose to get. I personally felt like I got a great ride in 50 minutes from the classes that I sampled but I know it will be a huge issue with my riders. They WANT their hour long. I have heard that some instructors might purchase older releases and add a track to extend the class length.

Any experience with this? Also can anyone recommend some of the older releases that are good.

thanks

Check out the Forums and info. on Lesmills.com
The RPM program does officially allow for extended classes, as will as shortened ones.

kkoplien
04-26-2008, 04:14 PM

thanks

The Release 34 notes contain the official track order for both 30 minute and 60 minute formats. For 60 minutes you repeat tracks 3 and 6 (obviously preferably from another release) after track 6. I'm sure they'll cover this in your training.

As far as older releases go, 33 has been heralded by some as the mother of all releases - I would agree that at least for me all but one track really moves me. Even the one that doesn't - does work well for its intended purpose. I'm partial to any of the 30's.

Training in a few weeks? If you're in the U.S. you will likely be training on 38 - my current favorite.

I hear 39 includes two bonus tracks just for the purpose of doing a 60 minute ride.

KK

fitnesschick
04-26-2008, 08:53 PM
KK, thanks. That is exactly the info I was hoping for. I appreciate it. I do believe you are correct. 38 is the release planned for my training. I rode a couple of classes with that release and love it so I am excited. I shall order release 33 if it is still available as soon as I pass my training.

Diane

kkoplien
04-26-2008, 11:36 PM
KK, thanks.

You're welcome.:) Have fun with your training!

KK

thosknox
04-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Two very important things to keep in mind when teaching rpm or any LMI format.

First, only if you're you're teaching in a licensced, LMI facility, should you be teaching an rpm class Teaching rpm in a facility that is not licensed to provide rpm is a violation of your instructor agreement. That goes for any LMI format. Playing your rpm music in your group cycle class or spinning classes is also a violation of the instructor agreement.

Second, stay true to the program. If you're teaching rpm in a standard time slot (typically an hour), teach the program as it is intended from start to finish. Do not add tracks at your discretion. If your participants want more, tell them to add more resistance.

That being said, and as was said previously, there are exceptions; the 30 minute format (perhaps for a lunch hour time slot) and 60 minute format are detailed in the education portion of the chorie notes for release 34. Follow the guidelines for those formats regarding track order.

Good luck with your training.

thosknox

fitnesschick
05-01-2008, 03:13 PM
thanks, good info. I actually just read that in the instructor agreement when I signed up yesterday. I will keep that in mind.
Thanks
Diane

mrtrpm
01-11-2009, 07:50 AM
A few years ago, our club did a 2 hour RPM class to coincide with an outdoor race in the city on the same day. Dan actually assisted with putting together the format. A lot of track 3,4,5,6, combinations.
The class loved it and is now an anual event.
t

kimm100569
06-25-2011, 10:18 AM
A lot of licensed facilities around here eventually switch from just RPM to both RPM and free spin. Clients seem to want both.

fitness47
07-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Hi, Our club teaches LMI Bodypump. If I want to get certified in RPM does our club also need to be teaching that format?? Is the certification process like bodypump? A weekend training than you have to "video" your class?
Thanks,
Marianne

Jpgirl
07-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Yes your club needs to have that format in order for you to teach it. LM charges the club a fee in order for that club to be allowed to offer the program. And yes the weekend training/video format is the same. If you don't have a lot of time in the saddle I suggest you start. You spend about 4 hours or so on the bike the first day-ending with the Ride of Truth and 6-7 hours the second day depending on how many are in the training. It was not a huge deal(I wouldn't say it was a walk in the park either) for me and one other girl-she was into eco training and Im used to riding long distances on the weekend. Everyone else was sore.

xor999spin
07-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Hi Fitness 47
Just finished my RPM "video" and awaiting the assessment review. In answer to your question, Our club has RPM on the schedule and thus offered the training. Some clubs just offer BP and not the full range of LMI classes. However some clubs roll out the classes at a slower pace once BP is launched. As for the training, it was a weekend training (intense like BP as well). It is a very good training. I have been teaching free-style (certified through Mad Dogg as well as Precision) and have found the training to be a nice complement and learned quite a bit. It's nice that our club offers both. Hope that helps.

bhamilton
08-28-2011, 09:17 AM
I have purchased releases from all the way back to 33 and I enjoy all of them. I dont always like all of the music however I do love to mix and match my favorites and some of the newer releases have more then the 45 min mix.

Brad