PDA

View Full Version : Rpm 37 Red-headed Guy

SOAR ON WINGS LIKE EAGLES
04-23-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm just wondering.:confused: Why does the red-headed instructor keep "shushing" the class? Why does he ask, "How quiet can you climb?"

SloSpin
04-24-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm just wondering.:confused: Why does the red-headed instructor keep "shushing" the class? Why does he ask, "How quiet can you climb?"

His name is Dan, and he is the program coach for RPM.

Talking is a double edge sward. On one hand, you want folks to have fun in class. On the other, you would like them to focus on the work / ride.
Also, two people talking may seem like nothing, but what about the riders around them? What is those riders wish to find that mind / body connection, but keep getting pulled back into the "gossip" going on around them?

So, cueing to return to the purpose of the class is something that happens.
Good for Dan that he wants his class to experience the full benefits of the ride.

rick316
04-24-2008, 12:26 PM
I ask that of my riders too. I tell them clearly what I mean - smooth,circular pedal strokes,no wasted upper body movement,ie. excessive lateral movement,body weight in the pedals and on the pedals too not sinking int the bike.

04-25-2008, 04:37 PM
I agree totally with you both. I was probably wrong in assuming that the video would consist of focused riders. I guess I was wrong about that. Sorry.

This morning, I subbed a 5:45 class and there was one guy who talked a lot. Since I didn't know the class, I hesitated on whether or not I should say anything at all. What would be some things y'all would say to keep them focused and quiet? Dan's cueing was good, now that I know that he was probably dealing with some talkers. Thanks.

SloSpin
04-25-2008, 04:58 PM
I agree totally with you both. I was probably wrong in assuming that the video would consist of focused riders. I guess I was wrong about that. Sorry.

This morning, I subbed a 5:45 class and there was one guy who talked a lot. Since I didn't know the class, I hesitated on whether or not I should say anything at all. What would be some things y'all would say to keep them focused and quiet? Dan's cueing was good, now that I know that he was probably dealing with some talkers. Thanks.

I find that humor works best.
"Time to work those legs and give those facial muscles a break"
"If you can talk at this point, add more resistance"
and so on...
Always with a smile.

04-27-2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks, Slo. A smile is worth millions; I agree.

rooster
06-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Hey all,

Just new to the forum. Great site. Oh by the way, I am the red-headed guy you are speaking of! :)

Hey all, Dan McDonogh here from Les Mills RPM. I use many different visual, verbal and visualization cues at any given time during a ride. Depending on the feel of the song and the desired training effect, I will use different cues. I believe the comment from RPM 37 was in Track 3 - Underneath the Radar. In this particular song the music really dropped in the seated climb phase (verse)as opposed to the standing climb phase (chorus) the focus of this track was big work out of the saddle an active recovery in the saddle. So my cue of 'how quiet can you climb?' was just to provoke an internal feel of 'preparation' before a big attack out of the saddle.

Cheers,
Dan

mbokor
06-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Dan
RPM rules
After 9 yrs as a SPIN guy and star 3 certified, I feel reborn. Just started teaching RPM and could not love it more.
Question. 39 Master Class rocks the house. Did you guys make choreog cvhagnes after the taping. Always curious when ,master class differs from choreog notes in book.

Keep up the amazing work

rooster
06-16-2008, 11:46 AM
hey there,

so glad you are enjoying RPM :-) i have been living it full time now for the last 3 years and i love every bit of it! the music, the ride, the training effect and moslty the people! thanks for representing RPM!

where about do you live and represent RPM?

cheers,
dano

rooster
06-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Dan
RPM rules
After 9 yrs as a SPIN guy and star 3 certified, I feel reborn. Just started teaching RPM and could not love it more.
Question. 39 Master Class rocks the house. Did you guys make choreog cvhagnes after the taping. Always curious when ,master class differs from choreog notes in book.

Keep up the amazing work

oh sorry, forgot to anser your question. sometime mistakes are made in the filming of the masterclasses (excitement, nerves, etc)) so in light of this, always refer to your choreo notes as we do final edits to the notes after the class has been filmed.

i hope this helps answer your questions :)

dano

mbokor
06-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Dan-
I am teaching RPM in Sag Harbor, NY. I am hanging with Jericho and the gang, I understand you did a training out on Long Island a few months back. You should see the completed cycle studio. It ROCKS.

You guys make mistakes? Who knew?

Michael:)

06-22-2008, 06:39 AM
What does the completed studio look like, Michael? We're in the midst of renovation at our gym. Could you give me some ideas; I'd appreciate it a lot. Thanks! :)

rooster
06-23-2008, 02:07 PM
i hear that the new studio in SAG looks great! :)

i hope to come out there later part of august

yes, we make mistakes :rolleyes: part of being human i suppose ;)

hope all is well on the east coast!

cheers,
dan

b.c.kim
06-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Hey Dan!
Kim here from the west coast of Canada (LAF team RPM). Glad to see you on this site!
Lots of great info here!
Hope you are well and enjoying Cali!
Will see you at CFP.........keep up the great work with RPM.:)
Kim

rooster
06-30-2008, 12:39 PM
heya k,

great to hear from you! how are you? hey we ared doing the Livestrong ride in Austin this year, Oct 25th. Are you in? Below is the link. Come on, we need ya! You have to come just to see if I can actually finish the ride this year!

cheers,
dano

https://www.kintera.org/faf/search/searchTeamPart.asp?ievent=262612&team=2811228

b.c.kim
07-05-2008, 05:34 PM
hey Dan!
I would love to ride but..........Austin is a wee bit far for me to travel and with CFP in TO in Aug., the $$$ will be short!
Next year..............it is important to me.........i lost my mother in Feb to cancer!

thanks for the reply.......looking forward to new release launch this month......great tunes, great release!
take care
Kim