PDA

View Full Version : LeMond Position on Contraindicated Moves

patriciac
03-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Does anyone know if LeMond has any specific position on any of these moves identified as contraindicated by the Spinning organization? We find that there are practices going on at our gym that need clarification by LeMond. These include: One leg isolation drills taking the foot out of the cage, fast jumps up and out of the saddle (such as 2 beats in the saddle, 2 beats out), upper body movements while riding (such as using weights, kickboxing, or pushups), hovers, isolations or freezing a part of the body (such as riding with the upper body perfectly still while only moving the legs), or stretching on the bike. Any information you have would be appreciated. Pat

markelmarcel
01-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Wow, I hope that LeMond doesn't support these, as they are dangerous on ANY type of bike! I'd be interested to know their personal stand as well.

CycleGuy
01-09-2009, 11:58 PM
Does anyone know if LeMond has any specific position on any of these moves identified as contraindicated by the Spinning organization? We find that there are practices going on at our gym that need clarification by LeMond. These include: One leg isolation drills taking the foot out of the cage, fast jumps up and out of the saddle (such as 2 beats in the saddle, 2 beats out), upper body movements while riding (such as using weights, kickboxing, or pushups), hovers, isolations or freezing a part of the body (such as riding with the upper body perfectly still while only moving the legs), or stretching on the bike. Any information you have would be appreciated. Pat

Can't answer all of your questions. I have been teaching on LeMond bikes for 3 (4?) years now. When we got the bikes, there was nothing mentioned about having a session from someone from LeMond Fitness. I have never seen any material from LeMond other than what I have dug up on their website.

From the LeMond Fitness Website (http://www.lemondfitness.com/academy_training.php?nv=3.Tips_and_Safety_Concerns .php&nvp=academy_training/3.Tips_and_Safety_Concerns.php)

REVMASTER SAFETY CONCERNS AND RECOMMENDATIONS

If your feet should come off the pedals, keep your feet away from the turning cranks and push down on the emergency brake to stop the pedals as soon as possible. DO NOT try to put your feet back onto the pedals while they are moving.

Before rising from the saddle, it is important to apply light to moderate resistance to the flywheel to ensure safer pedaling control.

Avoid locking knees, especially when standing climbing out of the saddle.

When standing out of the saddle, place hands at a wider base of support more in front of you rather than reaching straight downward on the handlebars. When seated, bring the hands closer towards you either--in front, on the near outside bars, or place the arms on top the aerobars. *The key point is to find out where the upper body feels the most comfortable and you can breathe without difficulty.

Think in terms of avoiding extremes – using too little resistance and spinning fast or too heavy resistance and “mashing” the pedal strokes. For the beginner, keep pedal speeds at a range that is comfortable for the participant to maintain without struggling to keep up. Allow participants to gradually build-up their speed, endurance and strength.

When starting out minimize long periods out of the saddle, especially when pedaling cadences are above 75 RPM or when steep climbing using heavy resistance with pedaling cadences below 60 RPM.

Master Trainers
Check out their list of Master Trainers (http://www.lemondfitness.com/academy_training.php?nv=2.Instructors&nvs=2.Masters_Trainers.php&nvp=academy_training/2.Instructors/2.Masters_Trainers.php). I would try contacting some of them and ask them. They should be able to speak to the official position.

CycleGuy
01-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Pat,

I have sent an email to Joan Wenson, Director of Education at LeMond Fitness.
Email:jw@lemondfitness.com / (Ph) 949-653-8016

I face similar issues at my facility which I keep discussing but with no LeMond training have been done, and the only other instructor training done on a facility basis was by Keiser when we introduced the bike classes in 1996.

SassyKimi
01-11-2009, 11:09 AM
I am a LeMond Revmaster certified instructor and none of the things mentioned above is condoned by them. If you have an instructor doing these things at your facility, they are doing it against what the LeMond training has recommended.