PDA

View Full Version : The class from HE double hockey sticks

patriciac
01-10-2008, 03:31 PM
What is the WORST cycling experience you have ever had? I will tell you about a recent class I took at a nearby gym. We can see if you can top this.
The gym recently opened and advertised all new and the best of everything. The cycle class was on the weekend and was full. The instructor came in and
#1 had everyone take the seats off the bike
#2 turned off the lights
#3 told everyone to take off all resistence
#4 told everyone to cycle as fast as they could

It wasn't long into class that we heard a loud crash. Someone hit the floor. Everyone came running with ice bags etc. The person who fell has serious knee damage and may sue.

During the class I complied with the seat thing and did my own thing after that. I was just wanting to see how far this madness was going. Now my question is this? How does anyone get certified to do this wacky stuff? I am so thankful for my association with all of you. You have kept it real for me. Can anyone top this story?

RaffCycles
01-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Now my question is this? How does anyone get certified to do this wacky stuff?

I highly doubt that this instructor was taught this during their certification. Probably one of those instructors that are known as offering a killer class, all the time, and wimps need not attend.

I hope the instructor is also named in the lawsuit.

patriciac
01-10-2008, 03:54 PM
I felt sorry for the woman who fell. She was in her thirties and in good shape. She used to go to the facility where I teach, but changed to the newer gym when It opened. "Closer to home," she said. Now she is on the couch, trying to heal.

About the instructor: I felt, since this gym was new, she was probably trying to earn a reputaion as being a killer. She was. Killed it for at least one person.

kellyb947
01-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Contraindications 'R Us -- that should be the name of the gym!

mitymo
01-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Sounds like a class I took about 15 years ago! I walked in and they all had the seats all the way down. As soon as the instructor started class they all stood up never to return to their seat again! This was my first cycle class so I had no idea what it was supposed to be like. Needless to say I hated it and didn't go back for a while. Oh yeah, most of them had shirts on that said "I survived ..........'s class" I guess I was lucky to survive too. I can't believe someone today is still doing stuff like this.

Jpgirl
01-13-2008, 06:15 PM
I took a class a year ago at a gym (I work at this known name gym here in Houston) out of town. The room is painted black-no windows. Instructor comes in and turns out the lights-it's pitch black in there except one littlw black light bulb shining on her feet. So all I see is her socks going impossibly fast and I can actually hear her rear end bouncing on the saddle over the music:eek:. I couldn't see my hands on the handle bars. I wanted to leave but was afraid I'd fall.

The other one I did was at the same name gym in another city. The studio was beautiful with a lovely canyon mural on the wall. There were 2 other riders. The instructor had a 10 minute warm up-a 5 minute work effort and a 5 minute cool down. Her comment to dh and I-" you look like riders (we were in jerseys and cycling shorts,shoes)-so I know it's not enough for you but that's all my class likes to do and I'm old." :eek:
I seriously wonder if some places just hire uncertified instructors and let the certification rule slide??

britspin
01-14-2008, 07:59 AM
In the 'dark room' i think I would simply have sat there in the dark, doing my own thing.after all the instructor could not have called you for it, they couldn't see you!