PDA

View Full Version : Contraindicated Re-revisited

DianaPT
12-17-2007, 10:32 PM
It still seems to be an issue in a lot of places. Is there any place in the Kieser, Schwinn, or other programs besides Spinning that specifically goes into contraindication. I would love to see and show that others take this as seriously as Spinning Instructors. Does any one have any specific links or quotes from the others that illustrates this?

Funhog
12-17-2007, 10:34 PM
hmmm, I'm interested in this as well!

j

Raindrop
12-24-2007, 06:32 PM
I picked up some classes at a new LA Fitness who use the new M3 bikes and subscribe to the Keiser Certification. The following is part of the Keiser manual:

Unsafe Cycling Techniques
There are certain movements that should never be taught or performed in a Keiser Perfomance Indoor Cycling class. Incorrect positions are potentially dangerous and injury causing.

Avoid:

Cycling backwards
Cycling with no hands (other than in the warm up, cool down and while drinking water)
Cycing with the saddle removed
Cycling with one foot out of the cage
Cycling off the back of the bike (behind the seat)
Cycling with extremely heavy resistance causing minimal rotation
Cycling down low in the sapace between the handbar and seat
Cycling from a low to high position with quick transitions
Stretching on the cycle
Cycling with all the weight over the handlebars
Resting the entire body on the front handlebards
Placing the hands in a reverse position on the handlebars

The presenter listed several others as well.

However, Reebok and Reaction Cycling Certifications also mentioned contraindications.

I personally think contraindications are only "taught" in home-grown certifications. I've worked with instructors in the past who never really were certified, just taught by someone else who was certified. Some of the things they did were beyond belief.:eek: But, I didn't hire them so it wasn't up to me to do or say anything about it.