PDA

View Full Version : HR check and cadence

spin3
11-17-2007, 09:07 PM
When you do a hR check, how many sec. do you use?

Also, do you use 80-110 for flats, and 60-80RPMS for hills?

I go by this and feel like I'm not working that hard on the flats. Do you go faster than 110? They frown on this at my gym. (I'm getting used to the pilot!)

Thanks for the help.:)

RaffCycles
11-17-2007, 09:51 PM
When you do a hR check, how many sec. do you use?

Also, do you use 80-110 for flats, and 60-80RPMS for hills?

I go by this and feel like I'm not working that hard on the flats. Do you go faster than 110? They frown on this at my gym. (I'm getting used to the pilot!)

Thanks for the help.:)

HR checks are difficult since most times you want to have your students hit the heart rate with both hands on the handlebar. Even a break in effort and moving one hand to check pulse can distort the results. Not enough to invalidate the effort, but not a true measure. If I do a heart rate check, I usually do it for six seconds and then have them add a zero. If they have a HR monitor, the answer is zero seconds:D.

Your cadence paramerters are right on. If you can't go hard on the flats, there is only one thing to do, add resistance.

veranda
05-14-2008, 05:26 PM
HR checks are difficult since most times you want to have your students hit the heart rate with both hands on the handlebar. Even a break in effort and moving one hand to check pulse can distort the results. Not enough to invalidate the effort, but not a true measure. If I do a heart rate check, I usually do it for six seconds and then have them add a zero. If they have a HR monitor, the answer is zero seconds:D.

Your cadence paramerters are right on. If you can't go hard on the flats, there is only one thing to do, add resistance.

I got a little confused . I just got certified and my understanding was that you need to count for 15 sec starting with 0. Just clarifying. Thanks!

spinchick
05-14-2008, 05:34 PM
It takes less time to count 6 seconds and add a 0 than to count 15 seconds and multiply by 4. Right?!

missyogie@aol.com
12-25-2011, 10:38 PM
is there any easy way to remember cadence checks and guidelines?

Saftlad
02-20-2012, 07:15 AM
I thought the cadence check was simply: Are you on the beat or not. If you're on the beat, you're on the cadence. If not then get those knees moving :D

Vivienne
02-21-2012, 06:09 AM
I thought the cadence check was simply: Are you on the beat or not. If you're on the beat, you're on the cadence. If not then get those knees moving :D

That's simple enough.......but not everyone hears the beat (apparently)

"Follow my pedal speed" is simple enough........but not everyone can do that (apparently)

A 15 sec. cadence check is the next back up.........but not everyone can count that well (apparently)

Having a cadence read-out on a console is the absolute best........but not everyone can read that well/brings their reading glasses (apparently)

There's nothing very simple when it comes to giving simple instructions to the general public (to put it simplistically)

Vivienne

Lindsay McFillin
06-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Add more resistance on your flats, make sure all the weight isnt off wheel. You should always feel the road.
I do a HR check as i transition from warm up to work and then during intervals...we encourage all of our cyclists to wear HR monitors.