View Full Version : 2008 Tour de France route announced

10-25-2007, 08:50 PM
This morning, as I do every year about this time, I got up at 4 am to watch for the announcement of the Tour de France route for next year. At precisely 12:30 France time, 4:30 am here, they post the route on their site.

The past few weeks I have studied past tour routes to make a huge guess as to where they might be going. I make a list of the hotels I want to stay at if possible, and some I will pre-call in advance, but without set dates or commitments, they often won't give information. I look for the chief locations for arrivals and departures. If I get a lot of "complet" hotels, I know I am getting warm, as the organizers and teams take up so many hotels.

But this year I was totally thrown off - none of the typical locations - Grenoble, Albertville, Annecy, Grand Bornand, etc were "complet". Hmmmmm, maybe my dates are off, I thought, or maybe they are doing something waaaay different. I guess the dates too, but that's easier - you take the arrival in Paris and back off 3-4 days for the final days in the Alpes (when the route goes in a counterclockwise fashion as it will this year - it changes every year). They are usually in the Alpes over 3 days.

So last night I set out my maps and highlighters, and had my list of hotels and phone numbers to call. If you aren't among the first to call, you won't get hotels, especially for larger groups. Emails and faxes don't work on this morning - they take the first ones to call.

And throw me off it did! Yes, they are doing Alpe d'Huez (still wainting for confirmation of my hotel near there - some hotels don't care if you need to know now - they might not decide for another month)! But that is the furthest north in the Alpes they are going. It's going way east, into Italy, into some towns that are totally new!

It's the Piedmonte region of Italy, and it's fairly new to me. So I researched and found some great hotels in beautiful foothills.

There's a lot of the Tour going on in the central part of France, both on the way south and on the way north.

Man, those Tour organizers, they will do anything to shake up the pot!! :D

I am working on a tour form Italy to Alpe d'Huez. I may also decide to do the Pyrenees, as I have options on some good hotels near the Tourmalet, but I'll make that decision later.

IMO, it seems like the mountain stages are slightly "easier" than normal (or maybe I should say "less difficult"). Which is a good thing - they've been too hard for so long, and many suspect that's one of the reasons driving so many athletes to dope.

Vive Le Tour! :grin:

Jennifer Sage
Viva Travels

ps my tour route should be posted in about a month: www.vivatravels.com

10-22-2008, 07:00 AM
It's very funny, almost ironic, that a SPAM post brought up this thread precisely on the day that the 2009 tour route was announced! When I brought up Pedal-on to post my 2009 TDF info, I saw this thread and thought, ah man, I know I'm tired (been up since 2:30am) but can I possibly be THAT forgetful? Did I already post this info and not remember having done it 5 minutes later? Now that's bad...

Maybe it's a good sign that it was brought up!

go check out my 2009 TDF rout announcement!

10-22-2008, 10:18 AM
And here was me thinking you'd gone loopy - Alpe d'Huez in next year's Tour? :confused: Then I saw the date and the spam... :o

10-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Looks like the spam post was removed....lest anyone think I'd gone loopy!!