PDA

View Full Version : Removing toe cages?

gilberth
10-15-2007, 09:59 AM
I have spd's on my road shoes and remove my toe cages before I ride. I sometimes have to help others as it takes quite a bit of effort to get them off. My club manager questioned me about this practice but I told her I was shown this at Mad Dogg in Venice CA a few years ago and now it feels awkward to ride with the cages still attached to the underside of the pedals. The bikes we use are Star Trac. What about the rest of you?
Howard

NJSpiner
10-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Remove the cages???? WHY? How does it change the ride? I am sure my club manager would have a bird also.

RaffCycles
10-15-2007, 11:52 AM
I rode at MDA HQ two weeks ago and all of the bikes still had toe cages on them. I have never noticed a difference in the ride (yes, I've been on bikes without the cages). We had some cheap pedals at the one studio where the toe cages only fit on the pedals where the cages and clips were on the same side (a design flaw that we notified the distributor about), but never have we let our students take the toe cages off.

Howard, I'm interested in where you rode and the explanation/reasoning you were given for taking the toe clips off of the pedals prior to riding. Can you please expand? You may give us all an idea of what to expect if a student asks us to remove their cages.

Spin_me
10-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Sometimes i cycle with normal sport shoes in the cage, because i want to show the Beginners, that they can cycle with normal shoes and not always with cycleshoes.
So my bike as both!!
Only the belt must be close, thats all!

gilberth
10-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Howard, I'm interested in where you rode and the explanation/reasoning you were given for taking the toe clips off of the pedals prior to riding. Can you please expand?

Raff,
I was at Mad Dogg HQ at the time and we were borrowing bikes to take to Gold's Gym for a Spinning fund raiser. Some of the bikes were with cages and we were shown how to put your shoe in the cage and twist them off for people with clip-ins. I had never thought of doing that before.
Howard

RaffCycles
10-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Raff,
I was at Mad Dogg HQ at the time and we were borrowing bikes to take to Gold's Gym for a Spinning fund raiser. Some of the bikes were with cages and we were shown how to put your shoe in the cage and twist them off for people with clip-ins. I had never thought of doing that before.
Howard

I think I know what you're talking about. The cages are actually clipped into the SPD portion of the pedal. Did the other side have Look compatible? We have one set of those pedals and there are fights over who gets that bike. The roadies or the regulars. What a nightmare.

derwin
10-15-2007, 08:30 PM
What I dont like is the cages blocking the adjusting screw for the spd clips. On the M3's you cant get to the screw with the cages on.

gilberth
10-15-2007, 09:10 PM
I think I know what you're talking about. The cages are actually clipped into the SPD portion of the pedal. Did the other side have Look compatible?

Raff,
I think so and we use the same bikes in our gym.
BTW on my outdoors bike I use 'Frog' Speedplay cleats
and pedals. Very confusing and expensive.
Howard

rick316
10-16-2007, 05:38 PM
I have these pedals on my bike.I bought them from Schwinn and they call them Triple Lock Pedals - SPD on one side,LOOK on the other and a cage attachment that you push int he LOOK side.To release them,you twist them laterally just like if you had cycle shoes on & they pop out.

I have them because they match the color scheme of my bike (black & red):Dsmooth!

Escandalosa
10-17-2007, 10:03 AM
The gyms I work at all have the triple link pedals that Rick just described too.