PDA

View Full Version : Sauna in Cycling Room

cyclingdiva
06-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Hi everyone,
I have been taking indoor cycling at my gym for about 1 year now. My question is that our cycling room (small gym and small class size) has a total of 20 stationary bikes and the room is usually half full to full. The problem is that the owner of the gym wants to keep the cycling room thermostat of 74 degrees and posted a sign that no one should touch the thermostat. The temperature in the room is nearly unbareable. It was so hot yesterday, a few people couldn't breath. I was wonder what is the temperature in the cycling rooms that you all cycle in. I'm just curious. :mad:

VegasBaby
06-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Try putting up some oscilating fans, it seems to work in our cycling room. Or do what I do "embrace the heat" - and sweat buckets.:rolleyes:

cyclingdiva
06-19-2007, 01:38 PM
I also love to sweat but when it gets too humid and stuffy inside and people can't breath, then I think there's a problem. There are 2 fans in the room but 1 of those 2 fans is on the instructor and the other fan is in the middle of the room. Not much oscillating going on in there. (lol) Do u know the temperature in your cycling room Vegasbaby?

SpinningInPrescott
06-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Hey Diva!

Print out the following article and please have your owner read this article...I personally think he could be held liable for keeping his gym at unsafe temperatures to save money?????

We have an AC unit in our little Spinning room that we keep at 60 degrees...it probably keeps the room at 70 if we are lucky...but at least we try...

Here's the handout from Spinning.com on heat:

http://media.godashboard.com/spinning/Hot_Stuff.pdf

and a key quote:

>>>> What steps can we take to deal with heat and humidity while we
train?
Aim to heed ACSM's recommended studio temperature of 60-68&#186; F. <<<<

Have a great day and turn that A/C down!

:) PS

Robert
06-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Sorry, I'm metric - 74 sounds a bit high. Air con should be pref be set to 19c (bearing in mind 18c is ideal temp for athletic performance) but 21c at the very highest. Anything higher and you enter health and safety risks as your body cannot cool down enough for you to continue performing at a set level. Even the temp at my office job is set to a max of 22c... but all we do is sit in front of computers with t-shirts and jeans!

High temps are all part of the myth of more sweat = more calories burned. So we have people exercising in plastic sweat suits, sauna yoga, people switching off air con in cycling rooms, etc.

Just found out - 74 is approx 23.5c (v.high for enclosed space).

PS - all of the above relates to exercise in enclosed spaces. Personally, I love climbing up mountains in temps of 30c+

rick316
06-19-2007, 05:28 PM
I had 24 tonight! My air con was kicking out every 5 minutes - absolute hell. All could do was drop the intensity of the ride a tad and get them drinking more often.:eek:

rick316
06-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Do u know the temperature in your cycling room Vegasbaby?

Considering there is always smoke coming from under the door when Angie's teaching...........:rolleyes:

amybatt
06-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Now that it's more humid and warmer here in Boston, and my spinning room isn't that well cooled (although not 74!), I always push them to drink before they need to. Usually by the time you "need" to, it's too late in terms of dehydration. So I have them load up earlier. I don't usually cue water breaks, but on sticky nights I will.

I don't know what it is, but since I reached a "certain age", I get dehydrated at the drop of a hat.

VegasBaby
06-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Considering there is always smoke coming from under the door when Angie's teaching...........:rolleyes:

Sorry for the delayed response, but the fire department just left Angie's class 'cause it was on FIRE~:p