PDA

View Full Version : Tour De France 2007

spinbeta
06-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Can anyone out there tell me when on the TDF schedule the riders will be climbing Alp d' Huez (the one with 21 switchbacks)?

JFK
06-06-2007, 01:28 PM
I don't see it on the schedule of stages (I didn't do an exhaustive look, but it's usually the finishing climb and there's no stage that ends there).

Check out the Tour here (http://www.letour.fr/2007/TDF/presentation/us/parcours.html). You can click on each stage to see profiles, which show the major climbs.

spinbeta
06-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Thanks Jennifer for looking. I looked at the Tour website too, but couldn't find any mention of it. I'm trying to figure out how to implement your TDF simulation in my classes and thought it would be fun to use that climb (pared down of course) in one of the classes and explain what switchbacks are. Are there other mountain climbs in the TDF that have switchbacks? Thanks in advance for your help.

JFK
06-06-2007, 07:26 PM
You're welcome. They don't do Alpe every year, so I guess this is an off year.

It's Jennifer Funhog (Sage) who is the queen of Alpe d'Huez and Tour simulations. I'm sure you can pm her with questions. I know that other climbs feature switchbacks (most of those steep roads do). Some are steeper and longer. The hardest part of l'Alpe is that it usually comes after several hundred kilometers of racing with lots of climbing. And the sheer number of switchbacks.

eric8235
06-07-2007, 10:41 AM
I don't believe that Alpe D'Huez is on the Tour this year. None the less, I'm going to post the ADH ride profile that I did with a few classes last year.

SpinningInPrescott
06-10-2007, 12:12 PM
I liked this image I found of the switchbacks from the web.

:) PS

Cheeze
06-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Doesn't look like L'Alpe d' Huez is on the tour route for 2007. The stage routes are already on the TdF web site. Also got an e-mail from Velo there '07 Official Tour Guide will be hitting the shelves any day.

Although this years tour will be passing to the east of ADH; of note is Stage #9 on July 17th when the route includes the very historic Col du Telegraphe and Col du Galibier. If memory serves me correctly these two climbs are featured in the first Armstrong book "It's Not About The Bike". You can read to your students as they climb.

Cheeze

SpinBob
06-11-2007, 06:24 AM
... of note is Stage #9 on July 17th when the route includes the very historic Col du Telegraphe and Col du Galibier. If memory serves me correctly these two climbs are featured in the first Armstrong book "It's Not About The Bike". You can read to your students as they climb.

CheezeThat's a great idea, Cheeze!